Where’s all the good dogs gone?

11 hours ago, Deerhunter1 said:

I’d say he’d be right on both counts, how many lurchers do you see with bad recall, or that aren’t broken to livestock. On the fitness side it’s much the same most dogs just taken out in august on hard ground with no fitness work & owners can’t understand why they’re getting injuries

What methods do u use to get the dogs ready for the season mate

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There definitely isn't as many lads out putting work in front of dogs anymore so it only makes sense there would be less good dogs, although there's always been bad dogs and plenty of them.  Gett

Personally I think every pup is a gamble, nothing is garenteed, easy to spoil certain types... thats why it's best to breed your own,that way then you will know the faults as well as the strengths ...

Another problem is lads having low standards. Seen a post on Facebook the other day of a dog working a fox, to be honest I wouldn't keep the dog in my pens as it was very poor but in the comments for

Posted Images

On 27/04/2023 at 23:41, dogmandont said:

There definitely isn't as many lads out putting work in front of dogs anymore so it only makes sense there would be less good dogs, although there's always been bad dogs and plenty of them. 

Getting good dogs isn't the problem it's getting good dog men. 

Another problem is lads having low standards. Seen a post on Facebook the other day of a dog working a fox, to be honest I wouldn't keep the dog in my pens as it was very poor but in the comments for the video was about 30 comments praising the dog....saying it was top quality and as good as you get, it's these same lads that are breeding litters of shite. 

To many lads in the game just passing through.....its only an image for them......a phase 😑🙄

• Like 7
18 minutes ago, Smashing reds said:

Another problem is lads having low standards. Seen a post on Facebook the other day of a dog working a fox, to be honest I wouldn't keep the dog in my pens as it was very poor but in the comments for the video was about 30 comments praising the dog....saying it was top quality and as good as you get, it's these same lads that are breeding litters of shite. 

To many lads in the game just passing through.....its only an image for them......a phase 😑🙄

Always been like it...even more so since the ban,lost count of all the knockers I've had the misfortune to know over the yrs...in and out, last a couple of seasons then on to the next new thing..like you said ,its just an image to them....BUT a way of life for the rest of us 👍424664145_DSC010752.jpg.aaf004f84c8dd73929dee0ab9f607f10.jpg

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Smashing reds said:

Good post, plenty of messers about jumping from one thing to another. Right about the standards thing as well, a man can keep whatever standard of dog he’s happy with there’s nothing wrong with that, but when they start twisting everything to make below average dogs seem top class it just gets a bit daft

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Deerhunter1 said:

Good post, plenty of messers about jumping from one thing to another. Right about the standards thing as well, a man can keep whatever standard of dog he’s happy with there’s nothing wrong with that, but when they start twisting everything to make below average dogs seem top class it just gets a bit daft

I kept dogs that wouldn't of lasted 5 minutes in some men's yards but I always liked a handy little bolting dog to put foxes in front of the big dogs, id never of even considered breeding from them types. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, dogmandont said:

I kept dogs that wouldn't of lasted 5 minutes in some men's yards but I always liked a handy little bolting dog to put foxes in front of the big dogs, id never of even considered breeding from them types. 

I’ve kept dogs too long that weren’t up to scratch but that’s no problem until something better comes along. Trouble is when people start lining bitches with them or knocking litters out

Edited by Deerhunter1
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, dogmandont said:

Nothing wrong with having a bolting terrier if it has a purpose. 

For me I like watching good dogs do their job well and no messing about with the game. I wouldn't keep an average dog just to kill numbers. I'd prefer to have nothing than to keep an average dog. That's just me.....every man to his own.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Smashing reds said:

Nothing wrong with having a bolting terrier if it has a purpose. 

For me I like watching good dogs do their job well and no messing about with the game. I wouldn't keep an average dog just to kill numbers. I'd prefer to have nothing than to keep an average dog. That's just me.....every man to his own.

99% of my dogs were average if I'm being honest, i've owned a few special ones along the way but they'll never all be superstars, id rather have nothing than to keep anything not up to scratch but a steady honest dog be it terrier lurcher or hound and I'd be happy enough. 

Nobody was as critical about my dogs as me and sometimes it lead to me not realising what I had until it was gone and you had to replace it, that's when you realise what you had and how much shite is really out there. 

• Like 4