Buck your ideas up

Thought I’d do a little write up on here as I haven’t bothered much lately as not many come on now

anyway

over the past week or so I’ve been out a bit after a roe to fill the freezer, as we came to the end of doe season I was seeing quite a few but wind, weather conditions and just plain bad luck meant I didn’t get on one, so come the 1st I thought I’d have a look for a buck, it’s been a long time since I was out on the 1st. On previous trips out over the past week or so the weather has been very favourable, warm, light breezes and lovely sunsets, yesterday was none of those, cold and drizzling with rain, as I set off I thought to myself “ I’m wasting my time here “ anyway it wasn’t long before I came across my first buck, I wasn’t expecting to see one here and as the wind swirled around me his nose went up and let out a bark before bounding up the field out of sight. Carrying on a little further towards the plantation I could see 3 more 20 yards out from the trees, looking through the scope these turned out to be 3 doe’s, leaving them too it I back tracked before heading up the centre of the field towards the top of the plantation as I got half way up I could see a buck along the hedge back ( bugger, I’m in the middle of the field) so, so began the very slow stalk in over open ground, taking a few steps then looking and waiting for the beast to turn back to the hedge, I got to within about 150 yards of the beast before making the decision to take the shot from there, so lining up on him I sent the 90gn soft point, dropping him on the spot with a neck shot, a quick picture and had him unzipped as I was losing the light fast, then the drag back to the motor, my god I was knackered 

4FA9ECBD-BA69-4BFA-8A9C-62972C436C5D.jpeg

980BD5CF-9D2E-46BF-BFEB-A78579328463.jpeg

01ADF2C8-07CA-4B51-9E6C-763164B93091.jpeg

1ACDDACB-4FDA-48F5-97D8-F90121801BC9.jpeg

5ED6343D-885C-4C88-8114-00B4AE3F395F.jpeg

78C98BD8-0152-4A7D-9CAA-D19A5019E6A4.jpeg

• Like 11

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I’d do a little write up on here as I haven’t bothered much lately as not many come on now anyway over the past week or so I’ve been out a bit after a roe to fill the freezer, as we

I was out 1st light this morning, shot 2 saw 7 bucks. Seems to be a good year for bucks.    

Shot on the 1st, butchered and vac packed on the 2nd, divy’d out on the 3rd 

Posted Images

On 02/04/2023 at 13:53, Stavross said:

Thought I’d do a little write up on here as I haven’t bothered much lately as not many come on now

anyway

over the past week or so I’ve been out a bit after a roe to fill the freezer, as we came to the end of doe season I was seeing quite a few but wind, weather conditions and just plain bad luck meant I didn’t get on one, so come the 1st I thought I’d have a look for a buck, it’s been a long time since I was out on the 1st. On previous trips out over the past week or so the weather has been very favourable, warm, light breezes and lovely sunsets, yesterday was none of those, cold and drizzling with rain, as I set off I thought to myself “ I’m wasting my time here “ anyway it wasn’t long before I came across my first buck, I wasn’t expecting to see one here and as the wind swirled around me his nose went up and let out a bark before bounding up the field out of sight. Carrying on a little further towards the plantation I could see 3 more 20 yards out from the trees, looking through the scope these turned out to be 3 doe’s, leaving them too it I back tracked before heading up the centre of the field towards the top of the plantation as I got half way up I could see a buck along the hedge back ( bugger, I’m in the middle of the field) so, so began the very slow stalk in over open ground, taking a few steps then looking and waiting for the beast to turn back to the hedge, I got to within about 150 yards of the beast before making the decision to take the shot from there, so lining up on him I sent the 90gn soft point, dropping him on the spot with a neck shot, a quick picture and had him unzipped as I was losing the light fast, then the drag back to the motor, my god I was knackered 

4FA9ECBD-BA69-4BFA-8A9C-62972C436C5D.jpeg

980BD5CF-9D2E-46BF-BFEB-A78579328463.jpeg

01ADF2C8-07CA-4B51-9E6C-763164B93091.jpeg

1ACDDACB-4FDA-48F5-97D8-F90121801BC9.jpeg

5ED6343D-885C-4C88-8114-00B4AE3F395F.jpeg

78C98BD8-0152-4A7D-9CAA-D19A5019E6A4.jpeg

Great write up as usual Stav, thanks for sharing ?