Dangerous game

7 minutes ago, mr moocher said:

jerimiah johnson good film

The movie Jeremiah Johnson the guy hatchet jack died from a bear mauling after shooting the bear dead,left a note while dying to whoever found his body and Rifle

“I, Hatchet Jack, bein’ of sound mind and broke legs do hereby leaveth my bear rifle to whatever finds it. Lord hope it be a white man. It is a good rifle and kilt the bear that kilt me. Anyway, I am dead. Yours truly, Hatchet Jack.”

• Like 7
KALSPELL, MONTANA, July 17 -- Mute evidence of a bygone tragedy of the woods was discovered a few days ago by Joe McKelvey, Glacier Park Ranger, near Many Glaciers. 

In a thicket about three miles from the chalets, Mr. McKelvey found the skeleton of a moose and upon closer investigation, discovered a human skeleton underneath. An inspection of the position of the bones, the remains of an old 45-70 rifle with an empty shell jammed in the breech and an old Hudson Bay knife with the shaft broken revealed plainly enough that the unfortunate man fired one shot, mortally wounding the moose which had charged. 

Upon his attempt to pump in a fresh shell, the ejector had jammed. Recourse was had to the hunting knife, which was unavailing in defending him against the charge. 

Evidently the man had been trampled to death before the moose succumbed to the gunshot. Old timers in the vicinity recall the disappearance of a French-Canadian trapper about 18 years ago, but none remember his name. 

-- end of article.

7F770802-8C1F-43AB-AC30-C10AABF29F78.jpeg

• Like 4
4 hours ago, mackem said:
KALSPELL, MONTANA, July 17 -- Mute evidence of a bygone tragedy of the woods was discovered a few days ago by Joe McKelvey, Glacier Park Ranger, near Many Glaciers. 

In a thicket about three miles from the chalets, Mr. McKelvey found the skeleton of a moose and upon closer investigation, discovered a human skeleton underneath. An inspection of the position of the bones, the remains of an old 45-70 rifle with an empty shell jammed in the breech and an old Hudson Bay knife with the shaft broken revealed plainly enough that the unfortunate man fired one shot, mortally wounding the moose which had charged. 

Upon his attempt to pump in a fresh shell, the ejector had jammed. Recourse was had to the hunting knife, which was unavailing in defending him against the charge. 

Evidently the man had been trampled to death before the moose succumbed to the gunshot. Old timers in the vicinity recall the disappearance of a French-Canadian trapper about 18 years ago, but none remember his name. 

-- end of article.

How’s your luck .hahaaaa

• Haha 1

On the other hand.

What  was at the time the biggest grizzly bear shot fell to this tiny little sixty-something Cree lady .

She killed it at six yards using a single  shot .22 rifle held together with sticky tape . Screenshot_20230304-163355_DuckDuckGo.jpg.11aef609835df873604755e15e82ef41.jpg

She wasn't  even using long rifle cartridges. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, comanche said:

On the other hand.

What  was at the time the biggest grizzly bear shot fell to this tiny little sixty-something Cree lady .

She killed it at six yards using a single  shot .22 rifle held together with sticky tape . Screenshot_20230304-163355_DuckDuckGo.jpg.11aef609835df873604755e15e82ef41.jpg

She wasn't  even using long rifle cartridges. 

I remember reading that story,look how tiny the rifle is.

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2014/11/what-22-rifle-did-bella-twin-use-to-kill-a-world-record-grizzly-in-1953/#ixzz7v0dPo0V1 
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution 
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

Bella Twin, an Indian girl, and her friend Dave Auger were hunting grouse near Lesser Slave Lake in northern Alberta. The only gun they had was Bella’s single-shot bolt-action .22 Rimfire rifle. They were walking a cutline that had been made for oil exploration when they saw a large grizzly following the same survey line toward them. If they ran, the bear would probably notice them and might chase, so they quietly sat down on a brush pile and hoped that the bear would pass by without trouble. But the bear came much too close, and when the big boar was only a few yards away, Bella Twin shot him in the side of the head with a .22 Long cartridge. The bear dropped, kicked and then lay still. Taking no chances, Bella went up close and fired all of the cartridges she had, seven or eight .22 Longs, into the bear’s head. That bear, killed in 1953, was the world-record grizzly for several years and is still high in the records today.

• Like 5
22 minutes ago, mackem said:

I remember reading that story,look how tiny the rifle is.

I have it in an old magazine .

I've just done the inevitable Google thing and there is a lot more information .

Apparently she was a bit embarrassed and   covered the rifle's cracked stock and the sticky tape securing  the barrel with her hands for the photo.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, mackem said:

-- end of article.

Oh deery me  :hmm:

You know?