A bulldog man

6 hours ago, mC HULL said:

the yanks most likely sent dogs out with bad temperament they wasn’t going to send there best out was they ? 

They wasnt sent over as a raffle prize mate British dogmen back then had the pick of all the most proven dogs and dogmen around the world,meticulous research and planning went into some of those old imports.

• Like 5

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Im not entirely sure if this will be allowed on here and no problems at all if its binned my apologies i just thought it would be nice to share this old story within the working/sporting dog world abo

Because that was the blood he liked and the dog showed himself as an outstandingly game example of that blood. I'd have thought folk into working/sporting dogs would understand.....obviously not

Good dogs were where you found them mate as the old saying go's. Just to be clear that story wasnt mine its an article that was in the old gamedog mags years ago i just thought it would be nice t

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

They wasnt sent over as a raffle prize mate British dogmen back then had the pick of all the most proven dogs and dogmen around the world,meticulous research and planning went into some of those old imports.

if that was the case gnash why is a top

dog man patching up a beaten dog and going threw all the rigmarole getting it back mate 

21 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

dog man patching up a beaten dog and going threw all the rigmarole getting it back mate 

Because that was the blood he liked and the dog showed himself as an outstandingly game example of that blood.

I'd have thought folk into working/sporting dogs would understand.....obviously not !

• Like 9
17 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

Probably the breeding and performances  behind it maybe he saw something and liked it and knew what it was as  you know mc there's a lot more thought goes in to breeding and rearing than just breeding two decent dogs together some blood just gels some doesn't and a good dog isn't always a good stud 

• Like 4

Perhaps ,He saw  a dog that was put into a fight out of condition ,and perhaps with his experience  saw that with the right commitment it had a lot of potential , he would have witnessed the gameness within the dog and maybe saw that something special , just because you lose , doesn’t make you a loser ??

• Like 3
1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

Because that was the blood he liked and the dog showed himself as an outstandingly game example of that blood.

I'd have thought folk into working/sporting dogs would understand.....obviously not !

i understand that but why not go to the dogs he was from if it was easy to get the blood if there was so much good game blood about why how to all that effort 

17 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

i understand that but why not go to the dogs he was from if it was easy to get the blood if there was so much good game blood about why how to all that effort 

Ffs mc how much blood of your big name slop  dogs have produced anything that even came close them not many like you know 

4 hours ago, mC HULL said:

Because two men can watch a fight and see totally different things!

A deep game dog, from blood you like, proven in front of your own eyes is worth more than a thousand tales…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 07/01/2023 at 18:30, gnasher16 said:

Im not entirely sure if this will be allowed on here and no problems at all if its binned my apologies i just thought it would be nice to share this old story within the working/sporting dog world about a bulldog chap who passed away recently....gameness is a very sought after trait in the bulldog world but seldom is it reserved for dogmen....for me Terry Truman ( Goldeneye ) was the epitome of gameness and fortitude,may you rest in peace brother.....hopefully bulldog lovers of future generations appreciate what this man did for the breed in Britain and Europe.

IMG_8054.jpg

IMG_8055.jpg

IMG_8056.jpg

IMG_8057.jpg

Thanks for sharing

• Like 1
11 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Good dogs were where you found them mate as the old saying go's.

Just to be clear that story wasnt mine its an article that was in the old gamedog mags years ago i just thought it would be nice to share it with working dog folk who understand that type of commitment.

Should have worded it thanks for sharing Gnash. The commitment for these type of dogs and the sport they were involved in the dedication and time must have been on an other level compared to the keep of other hunting dogs.

14 hours ago, mC HULL said:

I cant be f****d mate.....the man was a better dogman than you or i could ever dream of being....he took his opportunity with courage and determination and in doing so created one of the best lines of competition bulldogs Britain and Europe has ever seen...........but you know best ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Should have worded it thanks for sharing Gnash. The commitment for these type of dogs and the sport they were involved in the dedication and time must have been on an other level compared to the keep of other hunting dogs.

Just different mate i think.....im sure hunting lads would go to whatever lengths it takes its just horses for courses different sports etc.....but i do believe the gamedog addiction draws a certain amount of obsession out of folk i agree.

16 hours ago, Franks dad said:

Perhaps ,He saw  a dog that was put into a fight out of condition ,and perhaps with his experience  saw that with the right commitment it had a lot of potential , he would have witnessed the gameness within the dog and maybe saw that something special , just because you lose , doesn’t make you a loser ??

Same in the running dog world.

Plenty dogs are handed around that have appeared to the eyes of their present handlers to lack something, drive, gameness etc.....and then go on to become the best workers. Alot to do with the handler and not the dog, but you can't get certain qualities out of dogs that haven't been bred into them in the first place. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

I cant be f****d mate.....the man was a better dogman than you or i could ever dream of being....he took his opportunity with courage and determination and in doing so created one of the best lines of competition bulldogs Britain and Europe has ever seen...........but you know best ?

Alot of mystic and superhuman credit given to the bulldog men of old and rightly so to a small degree. Not sure about courage. Courage to turn a coin perhaps, coupled with the desire to survive. If there wasnt a coin to be made from it, it would not have been possible for guys to have yards of dogs and the time to do it all. Not saying that's a bad thing, just real life. 

2 hours ago, Neobliviscaris1776 said:

Alot of mystic and superhuman credit given to the bulldog men of old and rightly so to a small degree. Not sure about courage. Courage to turn a coin perhaps, coupled with the desire to survive. If there wasnt a coin to be made from it, it would not have been possible for guys to have yards of dogs and the time to do it all. Not saying that's a bad thing, just real life. 

An everyday chap not in the best of shape crossing the channel in little more than a rowing boat then swimming the last half mile harnessed to a 50 lb dog of questionable temperament might not be impressive to you but it is to me....courage,desire,perseverance call it what you will but its more than most are willing to do to own a good dog.

As for coin most of the money off the progeny of that dog came from matching them....the kennels never consisted of any more than 5 or 6 people who kept no more than 2 or 3 dogs each....very few of those early matings went out to the public and of the 3 matings with Tug 14 of the 17 pups went on to be matched with a record of 18 wins and 9 losses....the kennels were known throughout the Uk and Europe for big stakes matches yes....but to compare that to the money made through peddling pups like many of the other imports of the time is simply wrong as very few dogs went into pet homes comparatively,partly due to the fact that as already touched on they had a reputation for being manny. 

• Like 7