My mrs inherited a 1887 sovereign from her gran a while ago . She was offered £470 in a gold4u type place today for it but shes seen some of them up for 1.5k on ebay 

Ive got no idea about sovereigns and neither does she . Ive had a look but still not sure what shes got and how to know what its worth . Anybody on here know a bit about them 

20221022_201648.jpg

20221022_201729.jpg

Do you need to sell? The sovereign will be 22carat & the mount a lot less, you should be able to find that out from the hallmark. Put up a better pic of the hallmark if you can.

I just bought some sovs' for me and the kids, anticipate keeping for around 10 years, theres been a period of 8 years (aprox) recently when the price has doubled.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Welsh_red said:

My mrs inherited a 1887 sovereign from her gran a while ago . She was offered £470 in a gold4u type place today for it but shes seen some of them up for 1.5k on ebay 

Ive got no idea about sovereigns and neither does she . Ive had a look but still not sure what shes got and how to know what its worth . Anybody on here know a bit about them 

20221022_201648.jpg

20221022_201729.jpg

the ones for £1500 will be double sovereigns twice the weight

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

I'm not sure anyone would want to wear it as a broach so it's surely only worth price plus any value that exact year may be worth as a premium. You can get similar sovereigns for under 500 surely. 

i never really understand gold as an investment like you say you can get a sovereign for about£450 weighs nearly 8 grams and at the moment is £43 a gram so the intrinsic value of a sovereign is £344

30 minutes ago, greg64 said:

i never really understand gold as an investment like you say you can get a sovereign for about£450 weighs nearly 8 grams and at the moment is £43 a gram so the intrinsic value of a sovereign is £344

Safer smaller and indestructible compared to cash money, also like any stock it rises and falls. 

There are online coin auctions. You can also get a free valuation before going ahead. You then know at what price to set a reserve price. Get several valuations.

The downside is you have to pay commission.

N.B. I am NOT an  expert .

7 minutes ago, lurcherman 887 said:

Safer smaller and indestructible compared to cash money, also like any stock it rises and falls. 

i get that but unless you're buying them at market price or lower then is it really worth it, sovereigns always seem to sell for way more than there worth