Any pics .....Small lurchers past and present

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shes old and not long left now, but had some good times.. 

Rosie....... springer x lurcher....about 21 inch.....she knew her craft well and was a pleasure to watch...many lovely memories.

Taz,first X Kelpie X greyhound.....all I can say is 10 years of unbelievable fun    

Posted Images

On 13/09/2022 at 20:43, mC HULL said:

when we all start chasing rats and bushing rabbits phil ? ? 

Well, I hope that you can continue with the Hare hunting, I honestly do...?

We have loads of hares here, so it is  inevitable that accidents occur,...same all over the country I suppose?

No, I was only thinking about my own early days (1960's) with working dogs, and remembering locally, just how scarce on the ground, and how few in number,  the proper running dog types actually were..

Truth is, I never knew anyone with a genuine Greyhound , let alone a Saluki!

However, as the seasons moved on, we kinda drifted away from roustabout curs, and ended up with Deerhound and Saluki hybrids, all of a sudden...and then,.. well,...life changed dramatically....?

Great times, all through the 1970's/1980's ,...and I would not have missed those days and nights, for all the World,.. but,.. personally, I can now see a gradual return, to the less conspicuous types of canine hybrid.

As in all things, some folk will still continue to walk out, and possibly say,.." They will never stop me",. etc, etc.. but,.. I felt several years ago that for a genuine, mad keen, crazy hunting man,.. the writing was on the wall...?

The choice of lurcher composite to keep, and what quarry to pursue, is entirely optional,...no right or wrong,.. and I wish anyone who desires to walk on the wild side, all the good luck and grand sport they can find,...but,....facts are,...its gonna get emotional...and that's the truth....?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 10
46 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Well, I hope that you can continue with the Hare hunting, I honestly do...?

We have loads of hares here, so it is  inevitable that accidents occur,...same all over the country I suppose?

No, I was only thinking about my own early days (1960's) with working dogs, and remembering locally, just how scarce on the ground, and how few in number,  the proper running dog types actually were..

Truth is, I never knew anyone with a genuine Greyhound , let alone a Saluki!

However, as the seasons moved on, we kinda drifted away from roustabout curs, and ended up with Deerhound and Saluki hybrids, all of a sudden...and then,.. well,...life changed dramatically....?

Great times, all through the 1970's/1980's ,...and I would not have missed those days and nights, for all the World,.. but,.. personally, I can now see a gradual return, to the less conspicuous types of canine hybrid.

As in all things, some folk will still continue to walk out, and possibly say,.." They will never stop me",. etc, etc.. but,.. I felt several years ago that for a genuine, mad keen, crazy hunting man,.. the writing was on the wall...?

The choice of lurcher composite to keep, and what quarry to pursue, is entirely optional,...no right or wrong,.. and I wish anyone who desires to walk on the wild side, all the good luck and grand sport they can find,...but,....facts are,...its gonna get emotional...and that's the truth....?

IMG_0551.JPG

you lived and worked dogs through the golden era phil and by the looks had plenty of it and it’s a shame things are how they are now and it’s only going to get worse but what will be will be you just have to enjoy it and see what comes 

• Like 1