Saved a life ?

I was at a first aid course and the instructor who was a St Johns ambulance “ hero” was regaling us with stories of his life saving, involving performing CPR and wrapping people in tin foil blankets at rock festivals. He then asked the group if anyone else had had to do first aid and save someone . Stupidly I stuck my hand up and proceeded to relate the time on a pheasant shoot where a gun , who had his driver hand him a loaded 410 which went off and shot him straight through his leg . I rushed over and used his tie as a tourniquet and kept his leg elevated and the tourniquet on till the air ambulance arrived along with armed response units and about three other paramedic vehicles. 
         When I’d finished telling my tale , the room was silent and I looked at a roomful of  open mouthed horrified fellow course attendees. 
          As a side note, when the helicopter lifted off , we were approached by a member of the armed response unit in his utility vest , with his side arm , wearing a pair of aviator sunglasses . I was stood next to a patch of flattened , bloodstained grass that looked like a red deer stag had just been gralloched . And in a strong West Country accent ( think Hot Fuzz) “where’d it happen then”?  I thought “Jesus Christ Sherlock, you are going to go far in the police “ . 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I pulled a couple of chaps out of crashed cars and administered cpr. I presume the survived as I did't called to Coroner's Court. I came across a house on fire at Bramley, Rotherham. An old guy in his

I was at a first aid course and the instructor who was a St Johns ambulance “ hero” was regaling us with stories of his life saving, involving performing CPR and wrapping people in tin foil blankets a

Anyone saved someone’s life I’ve saved 2 on pure instinct saved a boy from drowning when I was about 18 gave my daughter mouth to mouth when she was 8 weeks old 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I was at a first aid course and the instructor who was a St Johns ambulance “ hero” was regaling us with stories of his life saving, involving performing CPR and wrapping people in tin foil blankets at rock festivals. He then asked the group if anyone else had had to do first aid and save someone . Stupidly I stuck my hand up and proceeded to relate the time on a pheasant shoot where a gun , who had his driver hand him a loaded 410 which went off and shot him straight through his leg . I rushed over and used his tie as a tourniquet and kept his leg elevated and the tourniquet on till the air ambulance arrived along with armed response units and about three other paramedic vehicles. 
         When I’d finished telling my tale , the room was silent and I looked at a roomful of  open mouthed horrified fellow course attendees. 
          As a side note, when the helicopter lifted off , we were approached by a member of the armed response unit in his utility vest , with his side arm , wearing a pair of aviator sunglasses . I was stood next to a patch of flattened , bloodstained grass that looked like a red deer stag had just been gralloched . And in a strong West Country accent ( think Hot Fuzz) “where’d it happen then”?  I thought “Jesus Christ Sherlock, you are going to go far in the police “ . 

Did you ever hear the outcome of the shooting?That reminded me of discharging a 410 in my bedroom when I was about 13 maybe, the hole in the floor was a few inches from my foot. 

Just now, mackem said:

Did you ever hear the outcome of the shooting?That reminded me of discharging a 410 in my bedroom when I was about 13 maybe, the hole in the floor was a few inches from my foot. 

The guy was taken to Bristol hospital, on the way in the helicopter his heart stopped 3 times , and miraculously he survived his ordeal , he still has a limp , but is glad to be alive . I was shown a picture of his X-ray when I was stood next to the shoot owner, and there in his leg were  pellets and a plastic wad . The shoot owner said to me in all seriousness, “ did you tell him we are fiber wad only “? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
8 minutes ago, mackem said:

yep I did that in the passenger seat of a car whilst shooting pheasants out the car window....the gun went off and punched a nice hole in the foot well of the passenger side of my mates car...I just smilled at him...whilst he was swearing at me..

• Haha 5

No, not a sausage. Very uneventful apparently.

The amount of times I've been on a plane and heard the call "if you are a medical professional please make yourself known to the cabin crew, one of your fellow passengers is in need of assistance" has been a bit concerning though! All pre-vaccine FYI. :D

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

Bet you’ve saved a few laptops from virus’s over years tho ?

Remarkably, no to that too. I'm the least techy nerd you'll ever meet. Any IT problems get pointed at an IT nerd. Any technical issues tend to result in me shouting at the laptop until someone with literally any amount of knowledge rushes over to tell me to unmute the mic or something equally as simple.

• Haha 1

Last time was last week, it was a guy having a stroke, at first I thought the big lad standing over him smiling had decked him, when I ran over it turned out the big lad was his non-verbal autistic son, I got an ambulance for the guy and took the boy (early 20's)home (5 minutes walk), I would like to have heard the culmination of the story,the bloke was bleeding from his head and hand, when I stood him up he was leaning like the tower of pisa. 

• Sad 1