Back up the chicken farm.

I had been waiting for a call from the chicken farm . The arrangement is if the foxes leave him alone , then he leaves them alone . I’m happy enough with that , especially early in the season . I was wondering when I might get a call and it wasn’t until early July . I hadn’t visited the farm since January and I was curious to see how many were about , I figured there must be some cubs about and they would soon start causing havoc . 
          The phone went and without any polite “ how are you”? “ I haven’t seen you for a while , how’s the Mrs “? “ Three dead chickens at the back of the shed “, like it was my fault !!! Farmers are a funny breed . I went to have a look and the wheat was still up and the grass was waiting to be cut for hay so that  literally left just the area around the shed that had the suckler herd in , to see the fox and shoot it . I told him I would be up later and said it would be difficult because all my usual places where I shot from were too overgrown. He said he would be making hay shortly so I suggested that when he did I would come up and make a dent in the numbers and he agreed. 
             I got him to put an IBC tank on the back of a trailer to lift me up and give me something to rest on and because it was so dry shoot down more and reduce ricochets . At least limiting myself to foxes inside the run would mean that any that did turn up were more than likely the guilty offender. 
         That evening I turned up before dark to start my vigil, I didn’t realise how much I had missed being out with a rifle.  I think you just observe more as a hunter , your senses are keener and you are totally tuned in to noises and movement, something a casual visitor to the countryside doesn’t do . The chatter of a magpie or a blackbird alarm call , all signs that Charlie is about . I don’t know if my area is a hot spot for these birds but we have a good population of Little owls around and they are the best friend a fox shooter can have , because they go crazy when a fox is about . I can trace a foxes movement at the chicken farm  by listening to the little owl distress calls as they circle the perimeter fence . I felt the adrenaline coursing  through me and I started to tremble in anticipation of what was to come . I had missed that feeling , and I now know what it is that makes me spend money on scopes and rifles and kit ….. it’s that buzz you get . Some people it’s football or chasing women or cars or running dogs , for me it’s foxing with a rifle , there is nothing like it.  I caught a glimpse through the long grass with the thermal , is was closing in . I readied the rifle and double checked the safety . And then as only foxes seem to do I looked through the thermal and it had just appeared in front of me   , no more than 60 meters . I went into “autopilot “ , into a series of movements I had done many times before , the safety off  , IR on acquire the image in my scope , line up the crosshairs in its chest and gently squeeze the trigger……. thwack !!! The adrenaline was surging and I was shacking . Got him !!! Over the next couple of nights after the hay was cut I managed five in total . One of them was a cub with a power cable stuck around its waist . I sent a picture to FD and joked that my waist looks like that as I’m still wearing 32”waist jeans . 

C4894C43-C8E6-4CDB-8A5F-2434B6F1DAEF.jpeg

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I’ve never seen one rapped in elec cord, might be one of them ruff urban foxes, out burgling currys, I did once shoot one with a snare around its waste that had almost cut it in half, no idea how it was still walking around 

P.S. I can still get into 32” jeans, I just have a pair for each leg ?

• Haha 6

How’s it survived/ functioned with that wrapped round it? bet it was in agony:( 

was a good right up that.. might just of  spared me up for tonight, mate put his birds down last week.. been up a couple of times and seen nothing but my mate went up last night and shot a big dog fox. 

don’t know about waste lines but it’s getting harder and harder to use this phone without glasses?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Excellent write up John .

That cub in the cable was mental .How the hell did it manage that in the first place ?

We all kid ourselves we are out for the farmers but foxing is a pursuit all of its own .Can’t imagine never doing it again tbh .

More you do ,the better you get ,the more you do sort of cycle .

Good your back on mate ,I’ve missed putting aside an hour to read your posts ??

Joking bud ,spot on .

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

Here is a fox from the other night at the pig farm . Blind in one eye with a nasty wound to its muzzle , not sure what did this . 

74CB8296-719B-45B5-BA48-A62B9B1D2F86.jpeg

Be one of them FH's mate shot at. It must of only just stopped running when it got to yours!

Joking aside.....that is why I don't shot them in the head unless absolutely no other option!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2