How it was around 1984/5.

With all the shite going on regarding shooting, hunting, gun licensing, rabbiting on common ground, digging, etc, etc, etc. I just thought I’d bring a reminder of how good things were in the eighties. I have mentioned this place on a couple of occasions but have only recently got some pics. (More to follow). When I got back to the UK in 84, I took a year off to adjust. During this time I was welcomed into the shooting and hunting fraternity and indeed managed to organise and run a private shoot near to Ashby deal Zouch. We were very successful and indeed moved into gun dog training and gun dog cold game tests and even field trial events. Clearly a lot of game was available which, after distribution among guns and beaters, needed to go somewhere. Chic Rushton (I’m sure he won’t mind me mentioning his name) and his family ran this amazing fish game and poultry businesses  in the heart of the town. I’m sure anyone in the Midlands will have knowledge of his business. Even now I hear the words ‘remember the game shop in Ashby which had all the game hanging outside. Just recently I heard someone saying that he had seen ‘crows’ hanging which of course were young rooks ready for the rook pies. He had everything hanging and nobody batted an eyelid. How things have changed. I despair when I hear of shoots using JCB’s to dig holes to bury unwanted game which gives the anti’s a real foothold. My quiet rant is over. Jok

ACF5BF8E-C317-463F-A6C9-4DCA5B50AE2F.jpeg

5E1D8EFA-7AE6-47D9-8BB1-8F239F525DDB.jpeg

• Like 13

An old pal of mine owned Kettlewells Game dealers in the Grainger market in Newcastle.

Years ago it had hares, rabbits, pheasants etc hanging up outside, then people started complaining and the game was butchered and vacuum packed on the counter.

People would ask "what's that", and when told it was hare or rabbit, they would make a face and walk away !

My pal retired, and now the shop is just a run of the mill butchers shop.

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 5
4 minutes ago, jok said:

Yes I remember a bit now. I think I was somewhere in the Middle East when you or your father did what you did and I did what I did. Jok.

I was in the Middle East for 26 years. My son did his schooling there until he was 16, them came back to the UK for boarding school. My daughter did most of her schooling in Saudi and then Dubai. I retired and came home 2004.

Cheers.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, chartpolski said:

An old pal of mine owned Kettlewells Game dealers in the Grainger market in Newcastle.

Years ago it had hares, rabbits, pheasants etc hanging up outside, 

I remember it well, we used to get the train through from Sunderland, I remember seeing 2 roe deer hanging up once,and plenty of hares. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 16/02/2022 at 20:41, chartpolski said:

Years ago it had hares, rabbits, pheasants etc hanging up outside, then people started complaining and the game was butchered and vacuum packed on the counter.

People would ask "what's that", and when told it was hare or rabbit, they would make a face and walk away !

Cheers.

I remember that place 99 pence a rabbit and £7 a hare if I remember right, that little place made the Grainger market for me

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
On 16/02/2022 at 20:41, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

Looking back I think it might have been a different place that I'm thinking of, I remember the tiny little place at the far end of the Grainger market by one of the side entrances, anyway here's one from some old images

4085509688_375fc683e2_o.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Our local town had 4 butchers when we moved here 22 years ago, 1 now and they're doing ok, just by the deliveries I see.

We only use them once a week for our roast joint or steak. Sausages, mince etc, cheaper and just as good at Asda tbh, the way of the world, unfortunately.

Cheers, D.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I still use the same butchers even though different name. They deserve the custom not only because of their hand made produce but are real local people who make a point of knowing everyone by name. They still run a Christmas book, much like the old coop wherebye you pay x amount per week and everything is there for you on the big day. What a shame these businesses are going to the wall. Jok.

• Like 6

lovely old photo, of an age sadly long gone, bet the dog pictured put plenty on the table and kept the owner in food for the family, time and era i would hazard a guess that it was a strong collie x greyhound, as was favoured by the old warreners and poachers, a breed that has stood the test of time, from those days till now.

• 3 weeks later...

This was about the time I (10-12y)were introduced to hunting by my uncle Sture we were hunting with his Hamilton stövare/running dog he wounded the hare with his drilling and didn´t  have enough ammo so he had to beat it to death with a stick.... and yes I was hooked in to hunting. Its a 12g-6,5*55 drilling made by merkel.

Edited by KimE