Brambles

Anything a bit heavy and you need a couple of pairs of eyes imo..

bells on the collars

locator boxes at either end to give you the heads up if the ferret is moving somewhere you don’t want them… 

As lads have said start on easier bits to begin with, it can be frustrating bolting rabbits and getting the run around in thick patches, netting runs, stop nets, decent dog and ferrets that are hard at em get you results…

Good luck mate

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ferreting if you don't have an over view of all the holes is a nightmare. Personally I would never put a ferret in holes on the side of a bank of cover where if the ferret surfaces you won't see it. I

Been using the bells for years now, best thing i ever done, if your going to get bells make sure you get good quality falconry one's, the one's they put on cats collars are crap. SINDASOX 

If your working patches of cover then a  bell would come in handy as well using a locator collar ?

Posted Images

On 24/12/2021 at 23:29, riverliver123 said:

Will be getting ferrets for the first time soon. Question - what happens if they stay down below and u can't dig them out because the warrens are covered over by thick brambles? Almost all the warrens round here are impossible to get to. Also the ferret would have to find its own way through the bramble before getting to the hole....

Most over here don't use locators and there is plenty of blackberry. Trust in your ferrets and dogs and patience is all.

• Like 1

We try and do a bit of clearing the brambles a couple of weeks before we intend to ferret certain warrens with the petrol strimmer fitted with a brush cutter also some of the land owners clear cover out the way with the tractor hedge cutter if we ask them  We drive round the majority of our permissions so we keep the 4x4 loaded with shears loppers bill hook etc, so it’s a matter of digging your way in. Also keep in the motor a camping cooker tea and coffee and a tin of marvel for the really cold days ?☕️?☕

6 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Great rabbiting spot Arry ?

When I had two Jack Russell I would have loads of fun with them and a handful of nets. Saw a Roe break down over and go behind that Ash tree by the stream in the bottom. But it getting too over grown now unless the numbers really get up. On that hill opposite there is some nice ferreting from time to time but numbers seem good one month then none then the start to come back strange times.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1