Squirrel traps

4 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

No, but used to see them advertised regularly on other supply companies, when I was buying gear from USA.

Not sure if they're as good as WCS, but seemed popular on the US trapping forums back then.

I will get one of the short WCS ones and do a log tunnel,should get any that mooch around the house,I will stick up a pic when I get a black one.

• Like 1

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Mk4 is light to carry and convenient in that tunnels and boxes can be made of standard sized timber and stepping down the entrance is easy.  It also catches squirrels very well.  Unfort

Get on the kania or magmum 116. Prefer them over the fenns to be honest. 

I trap quite a lot of squirrels in both mk4 and mk 6 fenns in the same type of boxes. I much prefer the mk 6s, I think they kill much cleaner and get a lot less foul catches

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, mackem said:

I will get one of the short WCS ones and do a log tunnel,should get any that mooch around the house,I will stick up a pic when I get a black one.

Found those other ones, incase you might be interested.

https://www.northerntrapping.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=NSC323&title=NSC%99-Tube-Trap-

Edited by EDDIE B
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

Found those other ones, incase you might be interested.

https://www.northerntrapping.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=NSC323&title=NSC%99-Tube-Trap-

I shall look at those Eddie thank you.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mackem said:

That is cheap,works out at under 30 quid sterling.

42DD7D28-2283-4B1A-BB5C-37A60331A64B.png

Yea, just remember lads on the forums saying WCS ones are a lot more expensive, and no better than those ones. They really do look to be an exact copy of the WCS.

• Like 1

I had this set in the garden and had these two on the bounce. The terrier literally flushing them into the trap. In this circumstance they obviously enter at speed so not totally representative of normal. However it was a rare opportunity to actually witness how humane the trap is. In both instances the squirrel was limp in probably 10-20s.

Ive had foul catches too where the trigger wires allowed the squirrel to slip down the side with only its hips firing the trap leading to a a less than human catch. A bit of experience and thought though makes these very quick killers.

Im sure none of this is news to many of the experienced trappers on here but sharing anyway.

PS the tunnel is not pictured. Photos just to illustrate.

IMG_5526.jpeg

IMG_5530.jpeg

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

I had this set in the garden and had these two on the bounce. The terrier literally flushing them into the trap. In this circumstance they obviously enter at speed so not totally representative of normal. However it was a rare opportunity to actually witness how humane the trap is. In both instances the squirrel was limp in probably 10-20s.

Ive had foul catches too where the trigger wires allowed the squirrel to slip down the side with only its hips firing the trap leading to a a less than human catch. A bit of experience and thought though makes these very quick killers.

Im sure none of this is news to many of the experienced trappers on here but sharing anyway.

PS the tunnel is not pictured. Photos just to illustrate.

IMG_5526.jpeg

IMG_5530.jpeg

Yes, they are a good killing trap. I've had live mink in them from time to time, but for the most part, they do the job well. 

15 hours ago, EDDIE B said:

Yes, they are a good killing trap. I've had live mink in them from time to time, but for the most part, they do the job well. 

When I irst imported these traps, they were known as the Mitling Trap...

I thought them to be the ideal trap for squirells,..and that 'built in' tunnel ,..just had to be a sure fire winner👍

Unfortunately,..after extensive field testing, it soon became obvious that in many cases, the spring was not powerful enough, to provide a humane kill. 

So,..we worked alongside an American partner, and suggested that the clamping force be dramaticaly increased...

This improved version is the trap that is now currently available.

I have found these spring traps to be effective against many pest species, and if you play around with it,..the treadle plate can be set pretty fine.

With the likelyhood of rodenticides in the UK being further retsricted, I can see a big increase in rodent trapping.😉 

2 hours ago, OldPhil said:

When I irst imported these traps, they were known as the Mitling Trap...

I thought them to be the ideal trap for squirells,..and that 'built in' tunnel ,..just had to be a sure fire winner👍

Unfortunately,..after extensive field testing, it soon became obvious that in many cases, the spring was not powerful enough, to provide a humane kill. 

So,..we worked alongside an American partner, and suggested that the clamping force be dramaticaly increased...

This improved version is the trap that is now currently available.

I have found these spring traps to be effective against many pest species, and if you play around with it,..the treadle plate can be set pretty fine.

With the likelyhood of rodenticides in the UK being further retsricted, I can see a big increase in rodent trapping.😉 

Yes Phil, and I think the bodygrip trap is very underrated this side of the waters. Its such a versatile trap. Can be set in tunnels, boxes, vertically, on tree trunks. Wire triggers, shaped in several different shapes. Pan triggers, baited triggers, trip wires.

Can be set in box's, with top entry, or bottom entry.

They can even be set upside down.

In Countries with less restrictions, and no necessity for tunnels, they can be set in grass trails, on narrow branches, under water.

There isn't many, if any traps out there, that is as versatile as the conibear/bodygrip trap.

• Like 3