Squirrel traps

21 hours ago, Tyla said:

I run a few trap lines using those boxes, usually with mk6's which consistently produce good kills. Since using this estates mk4's in the same boxes I'm still getting majority clean kills but, to me, an unacceptable increase in foul catches. I think I'd like to modify the boxes in some way to reduce that so just looking for ideas. I think you're right about the height, might add false floors to reduce the height

Or lower the ceiling of the trap with a block of wood?20211226_100546.jpg.6031b55d0b91f77759920f45e8b951ee.jpg

Have the bait well beyond the trap in a block end so the squill is intent on passing over the trap to reach it?

Though just to be contrary to the last suggestion; l've had success  smearing bait to the roof of the tunnel above the plate. It seems to work well in CWS and Fenn tunnels. 

If the bait is on or under the plate some squills will reach for it with their hands rather than put their heads or bodies in the killing zone. Same if the entrance tunnel is too short; the squirrel may grip the "door frame" with its back feet and reach into the box with its hands.  Ouch!

With bait stuck to the ceiling it  has to twist sideways to reach it with its body laying in the trap with its  chest aligned with the first pair of jaws. All the trap's energy is concentrated in one place rather than divided between both sets of jaws.

The lower ceiling is a must though.

The job l did in the week before Christmas ,removing naughty squirrels from a college Quadrant and class room loft went well as far as numbers caught  but l  had a couple of bad catches in Kanias, which is unusual. 

After watching them raiding the litter bins l put it down to the fact that the squirrels had learned to reach into the bins and retrieve food with their hands whilst keeping their eyes out for the irate caretaker. 

Only my thoughts; l would never claim to be an expert?

Mind, l think squirrels are getting bigger these days which doesn't help. 

Edited by comanche
  • Like 1

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Mk4 is light to carry and convenient in that tunnels and boxes can be made of standard sized timber and stepping down the entrance is easy.  It also catches squirrels very well.  Unfort

Get on the kania or magmum 116. Prefer them over the fenns to be honest. 

I trap quite a lot of squirrels in both mk4 and mk 6 fenns in the same type of boxes. I much prefer the mk 6s, I think they kill much cleaner and get a lot less foul catches

Posted Images

3 hours ago, comanche said:

Or lower the ceiling of the trap with a block of wood?20211226_100546.jpg.6031b55d0b91f77759920f45e8b951ee.jpg

Have the bait well beyond the trap in a block end so the squill is intent on passing over the trap to reach it?

Though just to be contrary to the last suggestion; l've had success  smearing bait to the roof of the tunnel above the plate. It seems to work well in CWS and Fenn tunnels. 

If the bait is on or under the plate some squills will reach for it with their hands rather than put their heads or bodies in the killing zone. Same if the entrance tunnel is too short; the squirrel may grip the "door frame" with its back feet and reach into the box with its hands.  Ouch!

With bait stuck to the ceiling it  has to twist sideways to reach it with its body laying in the trap with its  chest aligned with the first pair of jaws. All the trap's energy is concentrated in one place rather than divided between both sets of jaws.

The lower ceiling is a must though.

The job l did in the week before Christmas ,removing naughty squirrels from a college Quadrant and class room loft went well as far as numbers caught  but l  had a couple of bad catches in Kanias, which is unusual. 

After watching them raiding the litter bins l put it down to the fact that the squirrels had learned to reach into the bins and retrieve food with their hands whilst keeping their eyes out for the irate caretaker. 

Only my thoughts; l would never claim to be an expert?

Mind, l think squirrels are getting bigger these days which doesn't help. 

I'm going to put baffles in the boxes to direct them onto the trap better and create a lower ceiling. Hopefully that works. If not the estate might just have to fork out for mk6 traps. Its certainly putting me off using mk4s

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 25/12/2021 at 09:47, Tyla said:

@OldPhil @comanche do you have any ideas on how to improve killing in these boxes with mk 4s? My own traps are mk 6 and I get good clean kills mostly but an estate I'm doing has provided mk4s to put in my boxes and the difference is noticeable. I'm wondering if packing the floors up would help?

This box design is not right for the use of fenn 4 or 6. There should only be room above the sprung trap to allow it to close, there should also be in that a hole that posions the squirrel over the trigger plate, so that the trap can work as designed,

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, mackem said:

Going to grab one of these for the garden when I have time WCS the manufacturer is about 40 minutes away.Saw these in the store but they are red squirrel size (WCS also do a red squirrel size).

F5C90F8F-C44A-4CA6-8C84-644D8F346090.png

2540D6AE-95B5-4A07-88D0-BCCB5CDE3856.jpeg

Yea, they have two new tube traps. I think they are called THE MINI, and THE SHORTY. 

• Like 1
Just now, EDDIE B said:

Plenty of good squirrel cooking recipes over there. Will you be trying any of them?🤣

Yes mate,I will,it’s good weather at the moment,but once the temps drop they will be all over the street.I feed them when out walking but have seen squirrel damage on a house eaves a few days ago in town.

4D356227-213C-4D70-96EF-200AFAED3005.jpeg

2 minutes ago, mackem said:

Yes mate,I will,it’s good weather at the moment,but once the temps drop they will be all over the street.I feed them when out walking but have seen squirrel damage on a house eaves a few days ago in town.

4D356227-213C-4D70-96EF-200AFAED3005.jpeg

Black ones are a nice looking animal.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

Think those traps used to be a lot cheaper  a few years back. 

There's another company selling tube traps over there for bout half that price. Think they do a four inch trap, and a five inch one.

£to the $ is roughly 1.65 at the minute Eddie,do you know the other company?

3 minutes ago, mackem said:

£to the $ is roughly 1.65 at the minute Eddie,do you know the other company?

No, but used to see them advertised regularly on other supply companies, when I was buying gear from USA.

Not sure if they're as good as WCS, but seemed popular on the US trapping forums back then.

• Like 1