Podencos

21 hours ago, FrancoPepe said:

Hello!I  would like to clarify some things since I am from the Canary Islands.

First of all, the nets here are illegal. You can't use nets in sport, so either the dogs or we must catch the rabbit.

Secondly, there is no digging here.... If the ferret doesn't come out you try to plug the exits and come back for it the same evening or the next day. The volcanic soil makes rescue impossible.

Thirdly, although it may not seem like it... Our dogs grow old... Hahahaha. It is more than 300 years of adaptation to the environment. For some reason... They hang in there.

A pleasure, gentlemen!

why are nets illegal ...is that just Canary islands ...? im sure they use nets on mainland spain 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TOMO said:

why are nets illegal ...is that just Canary islands ...? im sure they use nets on mainland spain 

In the rest of Spain, hunting with ferrets is illegal. They are only exceptionally carried out in places with overpopulation.

In the Canary Islands the ferret is used, and the use of the net is seen as unsportsmanlike, so it has been illegalized.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, FrancoPepe said:

In the rest of Spain, hunting with ferrets is illegal. They are only exceptionally carried out in places with overpopulation.

In the Canary Islands the ferret is used, and the use of the net is seen as unsportsmanlike, so it has been illegalized.

Thank you for your  experienca personal   .  Its always interesting to know how people work their dogs and ferrets in different countries  and to know about the different Laws that affrct them.

?Do the all dogs belong to the same owner?

?Or do individual owners bring  their dogs together to make a pack on hunting days?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, comanche said:

Thank you for your  experienca personal   .  Its always interesting to know how people work their dogs and ferrets in different countries  and to know about the different Laws that affrct them.

?Or do individual owners bring  their dogs together to make a pack on hunting days?

Normally one bloke will have a pack. Obviously there are exceptions. I have photos somewhere, I’ll post them tomorrow.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, comanche said:

Each hunter carries his own pack. By law, each hunter must carry a maximum of 4 dogs. This means that a couple of hunters can take 8 dogs. But when there are 3-4 (or more) this is called "Cuadrilla" and the number of dogs allowed is a maximum of 12.

Even so, these numbers are too often broken, exceeding the number of dogs by 1 or 2 more.

• Like 1

We run two whippets that my mate has and they work well would love to have one myself but I wouldn’t be Abel to have a lot of time to work one as it spend most days at home alone as I work long hours. They work well together and seem to out run the rabbits very well and generally bring them straight back with generally minimal bruising to the rabbits, and they are stock friendly with the farmers stock with no dramas. But always let the farmer know that you are bringing dogs on their property.7B764C4C-F47B-40C6-BD0C-C47EA243A68D.jpeg.ac03bacf5d43569f559270e390cb1511.jpegt

1928DB4D-3580-4CAA-879C-BE870273ACDB.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 5 weeks later...

We have found them excellent and like said they can be a hassle to carry but just about all the places we hunt we are able to drive up to the warrans. And it makes it easy when we use up to 40 of them at once. We do a lot of long netting but with our long nets we use 8 mm steel rods as the fibreglass ones you guys use wouldn’t last a weekend with us as most of the ground is like concrete we also use ground nets but we find them a pest to get the rabbits out when you have a dozen is so   

On 02/01/2022 at 11:31, Guss33 said:

We run two whippets that my mate has and they work well would love to have one myself but I wouldn’t be Abel to have a lot of time to work one as it spend most days at home alone as I work long hours

If you are ever able to get a whippet get two, they eat, sleep and work together. I had to get another after one of mine died as the other one pined until I did, lol.

Do the whippets need to be worked on a regular basis or are they like the grey hounds who sleep all day from their hard night of sleeping, obviously you need to walk them everyday. My mate that I hunt with has two of them but he is on a large property and they seem to run all day long. They are a fantastic dog for ferreting and do run down the rabbits that try to get away. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Guss33 said:

Do the whippets need to be worked on a regular basis or are they like the grey hounds who sleep all day from their hard night of sleeping, obviously you need to walk them everyday. My mate that I hunt with has two of them but he is on a large property and they seem to run all day long. They are a fantastic dog for ferreting and do run down the rabbits that try to get away. 

They are always up for a hunt but they like kicking back at home too. They really are the easiest breed to own, clean in the house and quiet, never fight. Mine are hunters and house dogs and not bad watch dogs. Not the kind to tie on the ute in Winter they do need to keep warm when not hunting.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

They are always up for a hunt but they like kicking back at home too. They really are the easiest breed to own, clean in the house and quiet, never fight. Mine are hunters and house dogs and not bad watch dogs. Not the kind to tie on the ute in Winter they do need to keep warm when not hunting.

That's similar to what my brother has always said about his whippets. He said they're almost more like cats than dogs in some respects.

• Like 2

There was a guy on here used to run a pack of luchers  like that video whilst ferreting and postaged the videos i cant remember his name but maybe 15 years ago i was always amazed he wasnt always at the vets with them crashing into each other 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, The one said:

There was a guy on here used to run a pack of luchers  like that video whilst ferreting and postaged the videos i cant remember his name but maybe 15 years ago i was always amazed he wasnt always at the vets with them crashing into each other 

I didn't see that but I think two running dogs is enough, I've had collisions when ferreting with three.