Winter at last

Think it's going to be a tough one for the wildlife around me with no beech mast no acorns and all the sweet chestnut has disappeared from the woodland floor i walk in every day and this morning i noticed there is no holly berries. I don't know what's it like in other parts of the country but its looking pretty lean around me this year.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Think it's going to be a tough one for the wildlife around me with no beech mast no acorns and all the sweet chestnut has disappeared from the woodland floor i walk in every day and this morning i noticed there is no holly berries. I don't know what's it like in other parts of the country but its looking pretty lean around me this year.

Agree with you about the lack of natures fruits, strange year weather wise, ??

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tatsblisters said:

like yourself tats,reckon it going to be a hard winter,while walking dogs these past few weeks, the holly bushes in my area i absolutely laden with berries, never seen such flocks of fieldfares  in years must be in the hundreds, absolutely hammering the hawthorn berries,seeing more woodcock than in past years, and plenty of greylags, whooper swans and woodpidgeons round the wetland areas,wild life and nature signs will tell you plenty aboutthe weather if you take time out to observe it,but lets just wait and see do these predictions come true, were due a good hard snap,might kill some of the viruses off.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Glad I went out and cut wood yesterday, log store full, water tank full and a locker full of full gas bottles, bring it on ???

B4AF33E2-6FEB-444C-AE32-BC9C3492EEC3.jpeg

34B019D2-01A3-4787-861D-E7E153F8EFB6.jpeg

That’s the way mate get prepared now feet up an chill out in the warm ?? Got both my wood/log stores full just got one little bag of kindle to proses at the weekend an that will be both dustbins full of kindle….I’m sure if I come across any wood on the building sites that will fit straight in my burner I’ll bring it back 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, poxon said:

Once we get a bit of cold our burner is flat out it’s like the tropics in our gaff

173B9FF0-4DAC-4DF0-AEB9-1707BAAA40E7.jpeg

I find it amazing when I see all these people buying those little net bags of logs, I cut up any old timber I find on site and any fallen trees I find on my walks with close enough vehicle access I just stop and chop them up have trees earmarked all over the place still haven’t fired up the heating once this year ?

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, WILF said:

I completely loath the winter !……It’s cold, it’s wet, it’s dark.

Give me long hot summer days, happy as a sand boy ?

If I recall, and I hope you don't mind me doing so, didn't you get checked out for Seasonal Affective Disorder a while back?

While I'm busy and see people at least weekly I'm alright. It's between Feb-May that I can feel a bit shit. I love summer and I love winter, just that lull that I wouldn't mind missing.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

If I recall, and I hope you don't mind me doing so, didn't you get checked out for Seasonal Affective Disorder a while back?

While I'm busy and see people at least weekly I'm alright. It's between Feb-May that I can feel a bit shit. I love summer and I love winter, just that lull that I wouldn't mind missing.

I didn’t get checked for it mate but I did say I suffer with and I do, badly.