• 5 months later...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Suppose it’s how you look at life in general realy , some people mite enjoy shooting a couple squirrel with a catty and a thermal as much as you like hunting with a lamp and dog so they don’t mind spe

it's like anything in life, if you want one and have the money buy one. ?

The old timers new where every roost was and new the land like back of the hand and didn't need nothing but a catty and field craft   It's not hard to take a few kaneys of roost,   Old timer

Posted Images

On 07/11/2021 at 18:27, Elchapo said:

Anyone using thermals while there out to help spot if you don’t have a dog to mark , was thinking  getting one but not sure what go for , seem some with all fancy recordings/wifi/ Bluetooth connections . Just after something for spotting rabbit pigeon pheasant  out to 200 yards 

Elchapo did you end up buying one ? How did you find it and did you use it both day and night ? Cheers 

7 hours ago, Leo Sayer said:

Elchapo did you end up buying one ? How did you find it and did you use it both day and night ? Cheers 

Yea I had one but sold it on , I used it in day and night and there definitely useful but after nearly getting caught poaching there alot of money to have taken off you so until I stop poaching I'm not goin to be owning one lol 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Leo Sayer said:

The one I had was the xm30 but it wasn't any good for spotting phesants roosting at night tho , not like my mates hik owl but that an extra 1500 on top of what I paid 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Elchapo said:

The one I had was the xm30 but it wasn't any good for spotting phesants roosting at night tho , not like my mates hik owl but that an extra 1500 on top of what I paid 

Yeah it's a lot of money and jumping over the fence never leaves you I reckon lol. So you reckon it would have to be a pretty expensive one to see pheasants and woodys at night with a catty ? Easy with a air gun on a clear pink night with a big scope that lets light inn and an illuminated reticle.  

• Like 1

I spotted birds no problem at all with the pulsars. But to be truthfull i found them more useful when squirrel shooting. Either seeing heat in the dreys or daytime when the sit tight to a limb. Also used it to shoot hares on the flint and partridges when i was bored and the terriers needed a blow out.

one thing i will say if u havent bought a thermal yet but your mate has one youll buy one soon enough. Nothing worse than stood like a prick while your mate tries to work out if its a hare laid or a bird ??‍♂️

Edited by C.green
  • Thanks 1

I got one on my wish list this year and I see you can get them for about 500. I was thinking they would be really handy for night time netting with the gate and long nets. Also finding shot ducks in the winter that giving it the disappearing act. I just got get around to breaking it to the mrs 

Edited by terryd
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, Leo Sayer said:

Yeah it's a lot of money and jumping over the fence never leaves you I reckon lol. So you reckon it would have to be a pretty expensive one to see pheasants and woodys at night with a catty ? Easy with a air gun on a clear pink night with a big scope that lets light inn and an illuminated reticle.  

No the pigeons stood out a lot better , the pheasants didn’t seem to show up as much heat as the pigeon/crows/jackdaws etc , was finding goldfinch , bully’s etc etc but the pheasants I struggled with as they didn’t show of as much heat at night as they did when I was finding them in the day in cover  just faint white body and then two tiny red dots on there face , my nephew mate came out with us one night with the same model and his was the same , but for finding , rabbit hare fox deer squirrels duck pigeons etc etc there spot on , maybe the pheasants don’t loose as much heat as others , but I didn’t rate it for  pheasants hence one the reason I sold it , 

my mates hik owl 35 was million times better was picking pheasants up all over the wood on red heat setting , it was even picking up the heat of the branch where it was sitting after been shot , 

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, C.green said:

I spotted birds no problem at all with the pulsars. But to be truthfull i found them more useful when squirrel shooting. Either seeing heat in the dreys or daytime when the sit tight to a limb. Also used it to shoot hares on the flint and partridges when i was bored and the terriers needed a blow out.

one thing i will say if u havent bought a thermal yet but your mate has one youll buy one soon enough. Nothing worse than stood like a prick while your mate tries to work out if its a hare laid or a bird ??‍♂️

What models was you and your mates using ? Also what method did you use for pheasants woodys at night with catty ? Just silhouette or thermal or torch. Cheers 

7 hours ago, Elchapo said:

No the pigeons stood out a lot better , the pheasants didn’t seem to show up as much heat as the pigeon/crows/jackdaws etc , was finding goldfinch , bully’s etc etc but the pheasants I struggled with as they didn’t show of as much heat at night as they did when I was finding them in the day in cover  just faint white body and then two tiny red dots on there face , my nephew mate came out with us one night with the same model and his was the same , but for finding , rabbit hare fox deer squirrels duck pigeons etc etc there spot on , maybe the pheasants don’t loose as much heat as others , but I didn’t rate it for  pheasants hence one the reason I sold it , 

my mates hik owl 35 was million times better was picking pheasants up all over the wood on red heat setting , it was even picking up the heat of the branch where it was sitting after been shot , 

Deffo food for thought cheers, I've never even seen a thermal. But do have a old Bushnell night monocular,  that's broke now. In fact it went bad for the cheap price it was 

7 hours ago, terryd said:

I got one on my wish list this year and I see you can get them for about 500. I was thinking they would be really handy for night time netting with the gate and long nets. Also finding shot ducks in the winter that giving it the disappearing act. I just got get around to breaking it to the mrs 

Terry were did you buy that circular catch bag from ? I've googled and can't find them , have you got a link ? Cheers much appreciated 

3 hours ago, Leo Sayer said:

Terry were did you buy that circular catch bag from ? I've googled and can't find them , have you got a link ? Cheers much appreciated 

WWW.(!64.56:886

Steers Wild Slings. 105 likes · 18 talking about this. New page for various slingshot items. You can message me here or through WhatsApp

Let me know if you don't have fb

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Leo Sayer said:

What models was you and your mates using ? Also what method did you use for pheasants woodys at night with catty ? Just silhouette or thermal or torch. Cheers 

Both of us had the pulsar xm30 and both were the same regarding phesants , and at night use the ther.al to spot stuff then silhouette them as shooting any birds at night with ade of a lamp is illegal lol 

38 minutes ago, Elchapo said:

Both of us had the pulsar xm30 and both were the same regarding phesants , and at night use the ther.al to spot stuff then silhouette them as shooting any birds at night with ade of a lamp is illegal lol 

Never needed a thermal or lamp with the airgun, just pic the right night weather wise and the right woods. 

• Like 1