Anyone using thermals while there out to help spot if you don’t have a dog to mark , was thinking  getting one but not sure what go for , seem some with all fancy recordings/wifi/ Bluetooth connections . Just after something for spotting rabbit pigeon pheasant  out to 200 yards 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Suppose it’s how you look at life in general realy , some people mite enjoy shooting a couple squirrel with a catty and a thermal as much as you like hunting with a lamp and dog so they don’t mind spe

it's like anything in life, if you want one and have the money buy one. ?

The old timers new where every roost was and new the land like back of the hand and didn't need nothing but a catty and field craft   It's not hard to take a few kaneys of roost,   Old timer

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

A thermal for taking few kaneys with a catty ? ? ?   

Never had no problem spotting them on the roost don't get me wrong if i was flush and had a few bob i would get one just for the curiosity factor i have heard the coursing boys use them for spotting. I always wonder what some of the old boys i knew who are no longer with us would make of all this technology.

11 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Never had no problem spotting them on the roost don't get me wrong if i was flush and had a few bob i would get one just for the curiosity factor i have heard the coursing boys use them for spotting. I always wonder what some of the old boys i knew who are no longer with us would make of all this technology.

The old timers new where every roost was and new the land like back of the hand and didn't need nothing but a catty and field craft  

It's not hard to take a few kaneys of roost,  

Old timers would think you was a divvy paying 1500 for something your eyes can do ,

Of course they good bit of kit but not for me ,I stick to field craft 

• Like 3
On 21/12/2021 at 12:25, Moocher71 said:

The old timers new where every roost was and new the land like back of the hand and didn't need nothing but a catty and field craft  

It's not hard to take a few kaneys of roost,  

Old timers would think you was a divvy paying 1500 for something your eyes can do ,

Of course they good bit of kit but not for me ,I stick to field craft 

Trust me [BANNED TEXT] unless your superman nobody's eyes can spot the things a thermal can! It's unreal how much the bag rate has gone up since using one. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Troutslayer said:

Trust me [BANNED TEXT] unless your superman nobody's eyes can spot the things a thermal can! It's unreal how much the bag rate has gone up since using one. 

I'm not saying they not good bit of kit as they are but for taking a few kaneys off roost is over kill do you not think ? As let's face it any place you see pheasants in the day they will be roosting near by at night so it's not hard to find them ,

I no lads who got spotters for deer ,fox and even hares and of course they useful bits of kit especially if you a keeper or getting payed to clear stuff

I'd rather go out just like I have done for nearly 4o Yr "just me a dog and lamp " and if I have a blank night because quarry stayed out of sight then no problem as it makes the good nights even better,

I find it's those shooting fox that use this stuff mostly and it's made it to easy and that's why you now get fools shooting every fox they see .

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

I'm not saying they not good bit of kit as they are but for taking a few kaneys off roost is over kill do you not think ? As let's face it any place you see pheasants in the day they will be roosting near by at night so it's not hard to find them ,

I no lads who got spotters for deer ,fox and even hares and of course they useful bits of kit especially if you a keeper or getting payed to clear stuff

I'd rather go out just like I have done for nearly 4o Yr "just me a dog and lamp " and if I have a blank night because quarry stayed out of sight then no problem as it makes the good nights even better,

I find it's those shooting fox that use this stuff mostly and it's made it to easy and that's why you now get fools shooting every fox they see .

Suppose it’s how you look at life in general realy , some people mite enjoy shooting a couple squirrel with a catty and a thermal as much as you like hunting with a lamp and dog so they don’t mind spending money on something they enjoy ,

overkill ?? Maybe so but we’re all guilty of that in life , 

we spend £100,s on mobile phones when a £20 one would do 

250,000 on a house when a 80, or 90,000 one would do 

15,000 on a car to get us from a to b what a £1,000 car would do, nothing wrong with spending a bit money on stuff we enjoy doing , 

mine interest in one is for when I’m out with the hawks without a marking dog , ,spotting hares ,pheasants rabbits ,squirrel etc etc , 

plus if I don’t spend it the missus will  ? 

merry Christmas mate have a good one , atb , ? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I use a thermal for all sorts. It's definitely a game changer and feels a bit like cheating but, like anything, you choose whether or not to take unfair advantage when you're using one. If you're out for numbers culling stuff or trying to be invisible they are very handy. It certainly wouldn't help me bag up with a catty as I seem to have lost the knack and can't hit a barn door at the moment lol. It does show me stuff to miss though

• Like 1