Ernest Hemingway.

2 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

@WILF on local dance floors they refer to me as “el matador” 

Last time I was in Spain I was walking along a drinking street and some pissed up old grannies shouted "El Largo" at me. (I'm tall compared to Spanish blokes anyway.) I played up to them, made a fist and put my left arm on my right bicep and raised my right arm. They cackled like f**k. Mrs went one better though, she shook her head and held up her little finger and bent it. They cackled even more. Universal communication.?

• Haha 5

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

True words there Brother...?  I think we all like to believe,...in fact, I believe,...we want to believe.... Nowadays, I don't travel much, but I used to get out and about, and I tried to me

If you have not already read this book born I would recommend it.

I've been drawn into the argument to many times, and won't again.  If you want to see bulls go see them, if you don't then don't.  If you have practical questions about bulls I can try and a

Posted Images

For whom the Bell tolls was one of three i liked by Hemingway, the other two already mentioned, but as has been said the books are of their time, i read them nearly 50 years ago so they sat better in context than they would today. As has been said books are in the main written to entertain rather than inform.

• 2 years later...

He was a bit of a bullshitter. Chaotic drunk. Brilliant writer. Tried, but failed to fully understand his relationship with bull fighting. Dido gets it more than I do.

He had a bit of a thing about traditional masculinity. Think he had deep reservations about his own macho-ness.

Something to do with his mother dressing him as a girl. 

Drink destroyed him. Just as it is destroying me tonight.  I am in Perth Scotland. I am trying to keep up drink for drink with my son. I am staggering and f****n wrecked. Everybody else is sober and waiting for the bells so they can really start drinking.

I am going to bed as soon after the bells as I can.

How the f**k can my son be fifty?

I am still a boy myself.

Goodnight and happy New Year gents.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 3

Read The Old Man & The Sea years ago, just before I was visiting Key West. It was OK, but I enjoyed the film more.

Visited his house and the two bars on Duval Street of the same name, that claim to be the one he frequented. Both have a look alike Hemmingway contest.