What caliber for alligator

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

10g muzzleloader with 2oz of #4 buck and stop piddling about with peashooters!

My gat gun will kill any alligators in my area??

Posted Images

1 hour ago, walshie said:

I thought an AR 10 was 308 and AR 15 was 223. :hmm:

AR-10 is the base for larger calibers that can't fit the AR-15. Anything sharing a .308 parent case is going in a 10 along with other longer calibers. 6.5 Creedmore ,.243, 338 Federal ,6.5 Creedmore ,260 Remington , 243 winchester , 7 mm-08 ,30-06,300win mag ect.

Ar-15's are for shorter cartridges and basically anything that uses a  .223/ 5.56 as a partner case ( your stuck to a Max mag length of 2.226" or something like that. .223 5.56x45 5.56x39 7.62x39 300blk 300 Ham'er ,.277wolverine 458 socom .17 rem 6.5 grendel 6 Arc .224 Valkyrie .20 tactical .20 practical 6 grendel .358 yeti the .20-.30 GPC line of wild cats and the list goes on and on and on. All you gotta do is pop two pins and slip on a new upper and you have a new caliber . And heck you if you can make a barrel and a bolt carrier you can make about any wild cat you want ( take a look at maddog weapon systems) One if the main reasons the AR platform is so dang popular. Like me I have one lower and two uppers one in 5.56 and one in 7.62x39. and a pistol in 6.5 grendel. 

And and you have the AR-9's and those are just 9mm versions

• Like 2
1 hour ago, David.evans said:

So did I 

ar15 is really a 556 

Well yes and no.

You have three really.

5.56 which is the NATO variation of the .223. runs higher pressures looser chamber. Less accurate

.223 which is the civilian version. Tighter chamber lower pressures more accurate

And .223 wylde. Wich is a chambering that allows you to use both 5.56 and .223 in the same chamber gives you best of both worlds for the most part.

Also you can shoot .223 in a 5.56 but not 5.56 in a .223 . Both in the .223 wylde though

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Lol give this man a prize , yep .22-250 bolt gun, now what you recokon is the bullet of choice?

I’m no nothing about bullets, but I’d guess at something really light, 35gr ? Just because of how well it will frag instead of going through 

• Like 1