BEFORE MYXOMATOSIS

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me uncul tells me story's about rabbiting before mixy hit ,he was young lad and out most days nights feeding his siblings and mam ,big family of 9 needed lot of vitals so it fell on him to poach .he s

I actually take more pleasure in catching a few from different areas and reintroducing them in other areas late January.  Then watching their progress . I personally get more enjoyment in that than nu

I remember collecting fire wood with me dad and brothers near Melton mulberry in late 70s and rabbits just sitting by rd side and us kids picking them up and me dad putting them out there misery, horr

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

What I was saying socks was rabbit bones along with all bones was used to make glue and that old fool trying c me off 

Rabbit Glue was made from the Pelt it was used  because it became soluble in water  then expensive delicate  components in stringed instruments could be removed by a drop of Water....................So Moocher boy stay out of  the Water as your Head could fall off 

• Haha 1
39 minutes ago, Guss33 said:

I found some photos on the net from Australia pre mixy from the early 1900 And NO I am not that old. 

AFE72FDC-571D-46FE-ABC7-49FBA4886987.png

1C5412DD-3341-470A-8EFC-AE530656C001.png

The top  Picture of the Rabbits  around the water hole is one in a sequence the next picture shows them all poisoned .

? Poor old rabbits.....they have taken some real shit over the years....?

Ill still take them out, as and when,...but for me now,  it's gonna have to be,.... 'quality over quantity'....

Good hunting lads, stay safe, regards, OldPhil?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 3

I've seen rabbits in insane numbers in a place called Warren in NSW ironically back in the 80's. They lived above ground and my staffs at the time caught heaps jumping off the bonnet, it's like their lives didn't matter there were that many. It was sort of sickening seeing them breeding like this. There were also huge goannas living the dream in the area.

One thing not in question about the humble rabbit is that they are born survivors and reproducers. They have an amazing ability probably only beaten by the rat to overcome any problem. Mixi killed 99% of rabbits back in the 50’s but now many survivor to pass on their immunity. If I can catch a mixi survivor and it’s unharmed I let it go to hopefully pass it’s immunity on. 

• Like 3
On 05/11/2021 at 11:06, OldPhil said:

Ill still take them out, as and when,...but for me now,  it's gonna have to be,.... 'quality over quantity'....

_MG_7529.jpg

I actually take more pleasure in catching a few from different areas and reintroducing them in other areas late January.  Then watching their progress . I personally get more enjoyment in that than nutting them . Just keeping a few for pot 

• Like 4

Got a phone call off a farmer to do the rabbits and in the 2 weeks it took us to get there to ferret it there where dead rabbits everywhere , i thought it would be too late for myxi at this time of year ?. still got a few but by the amount of dead bodies we saw it would have been a cracking day 

On 13/11/2021 at 13:04, The one said:

Got a phone call off a farmer to do the rabbits and in the 2 weeks it took us to get there to ferret it there where dead rabbits everywhere , i thought it would be too late for myxi at this time of year ?. still got a few but by the amount of dead bodies we saw it would have been a cracking day 

Did they have signs of mixi? Sounds like the speed of it probably was RVHD2 unfortunately, bloody diseases are a killer. Got some cracking spots, rather had, and disease has been through and spoiled them. I then feel like leaving the survivors to pass on their immunity and not wipe out the few that survived. 

On 04/11/2021 at 21:08, Aussie Whip said:

Nothing worse to wreck a day's ferreting than getting myxi rabbits hop into nets warren after warren. My Parson Russell doesn't want to mouth them, or diseased rats as well, I don't blame him.

Well the mad prick has at least one or two working brain cells Aussie whip lol 

• Haha 1
On 16/11/2021 at 07:37, Bobtheferret said:

Did they have signs of mixi? Sounds like the speed of it probably was RVHD2 unfortunately, bloody diseases are a killer. Got some cracking spots, rather had, and disease has been through and spoiled them. I then feel like leaving the survivors to pass on their immunity and not wipe out the few that survived. 

There lye's the answer the rabbit can make a come back from RVHD2 even in areas that now has only a handful left , if they are left alone for a few years however given the amount of people chasing them over your way its a dim hope at best .

On 05/11/2021 at 11:06, OldPhil said:

_MG_7529.jpg

Like you Phil it's the quality, no numbers local and what we do take is hard earned but as long as dogs ticking over I'm happy .

• Like 1
11 hours ago, toolebox said:

There lye's the answer the rabbit can make a come back from RVHD2 even in areas that now has only a handful left , if they are left alone for a few years however given the amount of people chasing them over your way its a dim hope at best .

Agreed. Every bit of land I hunt that I am the only one hunting on I can just about manage it so there is some sport without wiping them out even if disease is present it’s the land that other people hunt on be it poaching or permission that the poor old rabbit can’t recover on. I’ve seen blokes on land with barely a rabbit left purse net every hole plus run a long net round and try and take every rabbit and then complain when next year it’s barren as an eighty year old nun! Hunting should be about conservation and sport not just wiping out every animal. 

• Like 2