.177hmr v .22lr

I was out the other evening with my .17 hmr and I had just shot a rabbit in the head at about 110/120 yards I have a pic but it’s a bit OTT perfect shot I was happy, but whilst skinning and gutting it I got a sense I was being watched, behind me in the opposite direction was a fox just sitting there at about the same distance 110/120 I looked through the scope it would have been simple to stick one in his bib but I hesitated what if it runs off injured what I’m saying is if it just doesn’t feel right let it go and buy a CF.

• Like 5

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Im not keen at headshots on fox  with the hmr personally. The rounds not penetrative enough and can splash if the shot isn’t int 100%. A wobble or the fox moves slightly and you’ve got a yelping fox r

I was out the other evening with my .17 hmr and I had just shot a rabbit in the head at about 110/120 yards I have a pic but it’s a bit OTT perfect shot I was happy, but whilst skinning and gutting it

Personally i would forget all about rimfires and foxes, the two should never be mentioned in the same sentence. I don't understand all this "you won't get c/f on first application". That is so wr

Posted Images

I think the .22 is the most versatile calibre out there , shot thousands of critters with it. One night I shot a hare in the head with the .17 HMR and couldn't understand how it was still sitting there , on closer inspection I couldn't believe it but the round had taken out both its eyes yet it was just sitting there full of life , I had to dispatch it by hand .

• Like 3
1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I think the .22 is the most versatile calibre out there , shot thousands of critters with it. One night I shot a hare in the head with the .17 HMR and couldn't understand how it was still sitting there , on closer inspection I couldn't believe it but the round had taken out both its eyes yet it was just sitting there full of life , I had to dispatch it by hand .

Agreed, I use cb/bb caps, shorts, cb longs, z longs, subs, and high velocity for different situations. Very versatile vermin gun is .22rf.  ??

Personally i would forget all about rimfires and foxes, the two should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

I don't understand all this "you won't get c/f on first application". That is so wrong its untrue. If you have "good reason" to own a c/f and controlling fox is a good reason then they have to grant it, no ifs no buts. They may try to insist on a mentor but that isn't lawful either. It is up to you whether you take them to task over mentoring or not. My advice would be to gen up on the 1968 firearms act and amendments also the home office guidance on firearms because if you do you will no doubt know more than any feo i have ever come across.

Mentoring aside they may try to steer you into a particular calibre usually one that they know about and understand. However don't be brow beat into accepting a calibre you don't want, stick to your guns.

I got .22lr, .17hmr, .223 and .243 first grant with no mentoring conditions.

I don't know if i have ever mentioned it on here but i hate hmrs with a passion.?

• Like 5
22 minutes ago, ianm said:

I don't know if i have ever mentioned it on here but i hate hmrs with a passion.?

You may of mentioned it once or twice, don’t worry, I’ve made up for your shortcomings by owning 2 of them ?

when I put my first application in, it was just for .22lr ( because that’s all I had experience of ) and was granted almost straight away, a few months later I wanted something for fox and a lad I knew said you want a .243. So put in for that and got it, an FEO at the time said are you going to use it for deer, I said no, he said tell them you are and they will give you it ( different times)

quite recently I know someone who applied and was refused, with no reason given, when he asked why they told him they don’t have to give a reason for a refusal, he pushed them a bit more and he got a letter from them quoting a section of firearms law, when he looked into it their reason was basically guilt by association, because he knew a few dodgy people he wasn’t suitable to own a firearm, he could go to court but it would be at his cost, it’s very different now than when I got mine

• Sad 1
12 hours ago, Dervburner said:

I use cb/bb caps and .22 shorts for shooting rats, but I only use .22 shorts on an embankment that’s infested with the things. Also shoot a fair few squirrels with .22 shorts. I’m using s&b’s at the moment running about 750fps, ideal for what I need in some situations. When did rimfires get banned from fairgrounds? They were on in 2019 before covid,

I had a go with an old Winchester pump, I think it was something like ten shots for three quid?

I heard rumours they were banned on H&S grounds. Could be wrong though. Not seen one using anything other than low powered air rifles in the last 40 yrs. I used to love the bb caps.

1 hour ago, ianm said:

I kind of feel that about .22rf. ?

Great calibre if you want near total silence in urban environments. Cannot be beaten in that application.

Beyond that, I can't really think of a reason I'd reach for one. Very limited range especially on fox sized targets and not very flat ballistics. Overpowered for use in sheds and pens where an air rifle becomes more appropriate, and very high risk of ricochet making it more danergous than most other calibres when backstopped to boot.

For rf I'd rather go hmr and have more range, less ricochet. For rats, .22 air or if in the open Hushpower 20g. For targets over 100yds cf, with rabbits being the exception using HMR instead to keep ammo costs down.

At the risk of opening a hole new can of worms, .204 for cf or .22-250 as a backup choice. I'd argue now splash issues appear sorted, .204 is hard to beat this side of going above the .22 cf's.

Edited by Alsone

Please don't let my foxes find out 17hmr don't work on them lads?‍♂️

20210814_211710.jpg.8c2a6ee8be1a57be0cb44ce6c9995b62.jpg

20210812_214413.jpg.785c9bf48004bfd6fc2f1868f42afd47.jpgshot dozens since my last visit lads with hmr. 100% success rate.

Now I use to berate the hmr but ever since I manned up over and got one it is my go to rifle. In fact my 22 is all but redundant!

And to be honest, all though 22 ammo is cheaper I spend more on it, why? Because its that boring I plink a box away whenever I go out with it!

Noise wise I find the hmr unobtrusive. It's supersonic crack is nothing really.

Anyway. You all OK?

20210828_221217.jpg

Edited by Sausagedog
  • Like 5
1 minute ago, Stavross said:

All hail the legend that is Bernard Sausage ?? great to see you back, hope you are well and stick around for the game season with your front stuffer action ?

Well mate its already started here. Three greylags to my new (to me) 10g double frontstuffer.

I think it has already been well mentioned but put simply, one is NOT better than the other, they are different, they are tools, and just like your tool box you take out the most appropriate for the job you are doing!!!

That's why so many people have lots of guns in lots of calibres for different jobs, including air and shotgun and pistol!

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ianm said:

Personally i would forget all about rimfires and foxes, the two should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

I don't understand all this "you won't get c/f on first application". That is so wrong its untrue. If you have "good reason" to own a c/f and controlling fox is a good reason then they have to grant it, no ifs no buts. They may try to insist on a mentor but that isn't lawful either. It is up to you whether you take them to task over mentoring or not. My advice would be to gen up on the 1968 firearms act and amendments also the home office guidance on firearms because if you do you will no doubt know more than any feo i have ever come across.

Mentoring aside they may try to steer you into a particular calibre usually one that they know about and understand. However don't be brow beat into accepting a calibre you don't want, stick to your guns.

I got .22lr, .17hmr, .223 and .243 first grant with no mentoring conditions.

This is a school job from a while back, all with HMR, I did another College job last week and took out 5 foxes, 4 with my HMR and 1 with my WMR, I often take them with my .22LR as well.  I have never done a Domestic fox or school/college job yet where I needed a centrefire!  Tools for the job, and rimfires are commonly the tools for the job on foxes for me, over the years I have taken far more foxes with rimfires than centrefires.  Of course there are other jobs where the rimfires are non starters, but again, tools for the job!!!  If you don't like HMR that's fine and your choice, but they seem to work real well for me!!

073f.jpg.6fb8960d54a7005c68ba8197754760c3.jpg

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2