Mauser M18 or Tikka T3X?

I qas all set on the tikka t3x but still looking around to see whats about. Found this YT video qhere the Mauser M18 hits a strategically placed target from 1mile away. The M18 being a few hundred less than the T3X. Is the tikka still worth the extra few hundred? As an all rounder, target range, foxing, potentially deering.

https://youtu.be/S-fcTUmQKXo

Edited by Stone14

You are asking for advice . I am not someone who shoots at paper targets. I don’t have any experience of Mauser rifles . But I do own 3 Tikka rifles . I might be wrong but I believe the Mauser barrels are made in the same factory as Blaser , and Sauer , so they should be good . You could also look at the Sauer  keeper package. I think that it could be a contender. 
              I personally like Tikka rifles, I like the way the bolt is smooth and cycles effortlessly. They shoot fantastic groups . There is also a lot of aftermarket things like different stocks that you can change if you wish to at a later date . Something that is not available for other rifles . 
                Scope wise, look at a second hand Nightforce , you should pick up a decent one for less than £1000 . 
            We are all in the same situation when it comes to buying a new rifle . The choice is endless, all you can do is watch and read reviews, try the bolt in the shop , or listen to old farts like me . But any of these rifles are more than capable of decent accuracy . Then it comes down to scope quality and ammunition and you . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The m18 is just a cheaper version of the m12, the components are slightly inferior to the m12, this in not to say it won’t kill things, there’s very few rifles out there that are not up to the job ( maybe HOWA ) it all comes down to what you want it for, like SL my rifles are a tool to do a job and I use tikka, 1 because they are nice to shoot once you have found a round that suits it ( very accurate) and 2 because they have market share over here, so if you have any problem with it a good RFD will have no problem sorting it quickly for you ( saying that, I’ve never had a problem with a tikka rifle)

• Like 2

I also have  a Tikka T3 which I bought when they were first launched and love it. Out of the box accuracy is great and as SL says they have a lovely silky bolt. I have put quite a few guys onto Tikka and nobody was disappointed but at the end of the day it boils down to personal choice.

• Like 2

I have three Tikka rifles and wouldn't consider anything else. When i come to replace any of my other non Tikka rifles it will be with Tikkas again.

I don't understand the fascination of people wanting to buy rifles from a country that lost two world wars.??

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
19 hours ago, ianm said:

I have three Tikka rifles and wouldn't consider anything else. When i come to replace any of my other non Tikka rifles it will be with Tikkas again.

I don't understand the fascination of people wanting to buy rifles from a country that lost two world wars.??

The German small arms developement before during and after the two world wars are the basis of most modern rifles today. HK even fixed most of the problems with the L85 rifle.

On 10/09/2021 at 17:40, Stone14 said:

Yeah I'm considering the m18 now but also spotted the M12 which is back up to tikka pricing, so many to choices without shooting any of them. Can you recommend a scope to suit the m18 for under £1k? Or a few to research?

PM Deker. He shoots regularly at Bisley. In fact I think he may even be something like range manager or something similar. Needless to say, the range goes out over 1,000yds and maybe a mile I think, so very good chance he knows what the big boys are using.

15 hours ago, Alsone said:

PM Deker. He shoots regularly at Bisley. In fact I think he may even be something like range manager or something similar. Needless to say, the range goes out over 1,000yds and maybe a mile I think, so very good chance he knows what the big boys are using.

I would have thought that the target shooters who are shooting at extreme range in  competition’s ( the big boys) go down the custom barrel , custom stock route . I wouldn’t have thought they use a Mauser or Tikka or any of the more budget rifles , they all probably load their own ammunition too . It’s a completely different ball game . A good ball game , if that’s your thing , but a very different type of shooting to what most of the contributors to this thread are accustomed to . 

• Like 3