Think she’s broken to sheep ?

2 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

I was always told best way to break a pup was to put it in a pen with them ,she don't look to bothered about it ,

How's she bred ? 

How old pup ? I put em in with rams if bit older let’s em know time of day ? , nice dog which ever way it bred 

Edited by green lurchers

How do the hill hunters stock break? Those that let them range out on their own?

Never really thought about it or done anything different. Just walked pups on the lead through different types of sheep watching eyes and ears, untill they don't need told, and then start trusting them a bit?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gilbey said:

How do the hill hunters stock break? Those that let them range out on their own?

Never really thought about it or done anything different. Just walked pups on the lead through different types of sheep watching eyes and ears, untill they don't need told, and then start trusting them a bit?

I let me mine just free range Tbh , usually cause the older dogs don’t they don’t and the sheep become part of the scenery , current pup has been pushing her luck with the sheep but the ewes have twated her a few times 

• Thanks 1

Not a sheep for miles around me.... does anyone one think hill sheep smell difrent to paddock sheep or low ground sheep I need watch my big dog on the muddy smelly b*****ds up high but he will walk through a paddock of sheep even ran him through sheep down low but the manky buggers with the shit an wool balled up high up seem to interest the Cnut ? Bambi dog dunno if the sheep up high smell like em buggers?

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, jackthelad said:

Bambi dog dunno if the sheep up high smell like em buggers?

I know others will disagree, but my old dog was 100% with sheep, lambs, cattle etc, until I started him on deer.  Then I had to be doubly on top of him afterwoods.  Was real hard work.

Forgot to say, a couple of years later, I had a similar experience with another similarly bred dog I had.

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, jackthelad said:

Not a sheep for miles around me.... does anyone one think hill sheep smell difrent to paddock sheep or low ground sheep I need watch my big dog on the muddy smelly b*****ds up high but he will walk through a paddock of sheep even ran him through sheep down low but the manky buggers with the shit an wool balled up high up seem to interest the Cnut ? Bambi dog dunno if the sheep up high smell like em buggers?

100% mate! They are defy very different. Its hard to trust a dog around hill sheep unless they have grown up around them. They look very different to a lowland sheep, usually not in a flock, move different and just pop up from no where. They must smell different as I had a hound who would ignore lowland sheep but would hunt the line of hill ewes to start with until she worked it out. I dont tend to trust dogs that are really switched on to deer around any sheep in the heat of the moment to be honest.

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

Yep hill sheep are more tempting and dark coloured lambs etc 

That's what I meant by different types, need to break them to all sheep or try anyway. No good just showing them a few pets imo

Agree. It’s also situational, different seeing sheep that don’t run, to sheep bolting out of cover etc. I’m lucky my dogs grow up with all manner of livestock around them, usually it’s just something that blends into the back ground for them. But we’ve 20 Jacob sheep up the road and they look at them in a menacing fashion ? 

• Haha 1