Squirrels

1 hour ago, villaman said:

Still a lot of natural food around down our way , specially chestnuts 

Yes there has here never seen so many acorns etc and the woods I shoot is mainly beech , oak etc , one trail camera took 56 photos last month on a feeder but not one of a squirrel, so I’m happy to see a few returning only been 3 months since I shot the last one ?‍♀️

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two hours’ work with the HW100KT - pleased with the result!  

Another 3 one evening last week  , followed by another 4 a few mornings later could only get to. 2 , 35 now from the one feeder since June only shoot it 2 hours a week 

Another 8 today in less than 2 hours could only retrieve 5 

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

Yerr, same here. I’m not even bothering setting any feeders up yet. I’ve picked a few off walking around but that’s all since last winter.

I’d set them up bird activity will get the squirrels interested , only a matter of time before they kick in , took one of a feeder yesterday 

8 hours ago, Dervburner said:

Yerr, same here. I’m not even bothering setting any feeders up yet. I’ve picked a few off walking around but that’s all since last winter.

I have filled the feeders up but probably won’t start shooting them until mid November this year . I normally start last week of October. Leaves are still very green , grass still growing strong  , in fact looks like everything is still growing on all my permissions. Temperature down in Dorset tonight min 15 degrees absolutely crazy 

• 2 weeks later...

This one ventured in to the garden this morning first one in months, mates been checking feeders in the wood filled them up twice this week , find sun flower seeds split with hearts taken out , so should some action on them soon 

B22613E8-D84C-4990-924B-BE787BB0786C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
16 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

knocked up a feeder the other week and got these..DSC_4057.JPG.8b52e7a6e047414a33343405bcb59083.JPGDSC_4053.JPG.36c84794dd077c1ac099e1f4318d197a.JPG

They'll cook well this time of year mate :thumbs:

They'll still be a b*****d to skin but, if you half roast them then carve the meat off and cook it in a sauce, it'll be tasty and tender, especially the little one :thumbs:

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...
On 01/06/2021 at 21:06, Stevie E said:

This is one of my homemade boxes which has been well used and visited ?   it is wrapped and stapled with wire like been said stops them trying to chew through the sides  cost me nothing except my time  which is a bonus ?

IMG_20210409_153545867.jpg

I really like the aim points on the card below - great idea to test zero in-situ.

• Like 1

Just returned from the estate and where I have had my feeder up for a couple of years. Haven't been shooting for a while so have been topping up the station with peanuts these past couple of weeks. The rate of depletion was 3/4 of the peanuts in the feeder going in six days.

As I arrived, I spotted two on the feeder as I set up - they quickly disappeared. I set my hide up around 20 yards from the station and 'snipe' from a stationary position. The two I first saw came back within 20 minutes, the third after about an hour. But, in -2C temperatures, my feet were freezing up and so called it a day. The HW100KT performed flawlessly - and is dead accurate.

IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

Edited by C3PO
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Ive made a new natural hide in a place where I see Squirrels but not loads, its just a spinney really but we'll see. Ive been trapping all year elsewhere and had a steady flow aswell as some Mink, but no air rifle action.

IMG_0445.jpg

• Like 3
On 17/01/2024 at 15:47, C3PO said:

Just returned from the estate and where I have had my feeder up for a couple of years. Haven't been shooting for a while so have been topping up the station with peanuts these past couple of weeks. The rate of depletion was 3/4 of the peanuts in the feeder going in six days.

As I arrived, I spotted two on the feeder as I set up - they quickly disappeared. I set my hide up around 20 yards from the station and 'snipe' from a stationary position. The two I first saw came back within 20 minutes, the third after about an hour. But, in -2C temperatures, my feet were freezing up and so called it a day. The HW100KT performed flawlessly - and is dead accurate. Then I had the time to relax and have some entertaining on the site

IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

Very successful hunt.

Edited by erikT
  • Thanks 1