• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welllp figured y'all my enjoy one if my wall hangers. Pretty sure is a Victor sure grip  

Fenn 'Loop' Mole Traps Here you go, Katch. I got the box down again. Couple of angles for you to get the best idea. Four different Types. It's all in the trigger design, see? Wire loop thing, on

This is the last Rabbit i caught in a Sawyer ! it was in my neighbours  back garden under a shed , i put a sequence of  pictures showing how they worked then the Internet  trap Police pounced . A stup

Posted Images

:icon_eek: I've never even Seen that one, Phil! What a fukking beauty! Cable tie and away you go!

Sadly, as I've long since said of the pest control industry; " 'They' meticulously studied our game. Asked us what worked. Noted what was most effective in getting the job done. Then fukking Banned it! "

• Haha 1

It really fascinates me the vast array of trap designs that are out there. Not only vintage traps, but modern ones too. Some very clever individuals, thinking up all sorts of idea's, and most work very well, when it comes to catching, and killing things. 

Here is a Canadian trap, that is very interesting to look at. I don't believe they were in production for very long, so are very much sought after these days. It's called the Gabry Bionic Trap, which is ratcheted. You can increase the power of the trap, by literally winding it up. I'm almost sure the inventer makes the Belisle conibear trap. One of the best bodygrips on the market

LFAT-Gabry02.jpeg

42 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

Here is a Canadian trap, that is very interesting to look at. I don't believe they were in production for very long, so are very much sought after these days. It's called the Gabry Bionic Trap.

As I remember ...? It was originally marketed as something a lot like the " Savaugeneux ". Something like that. My Canadian French is a little rusty :whistling:

The name was changed, I believe, after a change of ownership within the family business. Don't quote me on that. But, I Think that's what happened?

Anyway, yeah; Had one, twenty years back. It was indeed, even then, a fukking Must Have! I mean, just Look at the thing!

The cowl was to keep birds off the bait. And the bait was a hunk of flesh simply stuck onto a 'small(er)' Butchers hook. Tug that and Whack!

One day; Perhaps? Maybe, I'll get the sheer will together to start lifting down my heavy cases of 'Approved Traps'. Stacked over head height. And pop them open till I find my lost Americans.

No real memory of What might be amongst them. But, I know there's One I'm dying to show and tell about. Called the " Verbail ". I first heard of it from Bateman' " Animal Traps and Trapping ".

Dunno why. It just gave me a trouser tent! Actually got my hands on one decades later? Totally underwhelmed! :(

Recently learned the truth behind the trap? Shit Bateman hadn't heard of? Now, it's a " Cold, Dead Hands " one, all over again! :D

13 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

As I remember ...? It was originally marketed as something a lot like the " Savaugeneux ". Something like that. My Canadian French is a little rusty :whistling:

The name was changed, I believe, after a change of ownership within the family business. Don't quote me on that. But, I Think that's what happened?

Anyway, yeah; Had one, twenty years back. It was indeed, even then, a fukking Must Have! I mean, just Look at the thing!

The cowl was to keep birds off the bait. And the bait was a hunk of flesh simply stuck onto a 'small(er)' Butchers hook. Tug that and Whack!

One day; Perhaps? Maybe, I'll get the sheer will together to start lifting down my heavy cases of 'Approved Traps'. Stacked over head height. And pop them open till I find my lost Americans.

No real memory of What might be amongst them. But, I know there's One I'm dying to show and tell about. Called the " Verbail ". I first heard of it from Bateman' " Animal Traps and Trapping ".

Dunno why. It just gave me a trouser tent! Actually got my hands on one decades later? Totally underwhelmed! :(

Recently learned the truth behind the trap? Shit Bateman hadn't heard of? Now, it's a " Cold, Dead Hands " one, all over again! :D

Ken, get those traps out. We wanna see them. ?

9 hours ago, OldPhil said:

When I was a Trap Importer/Distributor, I was privy to various changes that were, 'on the way'...?

The Fenn Trap was on the target list, not in thje same way as the Gin Trap,...but similar..

Knowing what was coming, I tried to introduce various other 'Humane Spring Traps' from other countries.

It was an emotional time (and a fecking costly one too?)  

The powers that be, decided to tell practical trappers/pest controllers, etc,..what tools we could use and those that they deemed unsuitable...? 

This was a bit silly really, as most of my imports had been, tried and tested in the field of battle for decades,...They did not require further testing by Ministry men in white coats,who needed to be shown how to set the fecking things❗

Anyway, that is all water under the bridge now,...life moves on...?

This is one of the traps that I tried out, for Grey Squirell and Mink...

It worked ok when mounted on a running pole,..but was never quite right for the UK...?

YMIR Marten Trap...

PICT0003.jpg

Though this was A dog proof coon trap at first ?

On 31/05/2021 at 17:58, EDDIE B said:

Ken, get those traps out. We wanna see them. ?

Know what, mate? I just posted a comment on another thread. Then, I thought of this one. I remembered you asking me to pull those boxes down.

For a split second there, the vision of me going in there and lifting them down flashed before my minds eye.

Then, I thought; 'No. I can't be fukking bothered.' :(

Sorry, mate. Not myself just at this moment. Sword of fukking Damocles job, again. Life, as we know it, is on hold for a bit.

19 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Know what, mate? I just posted a comment on another thread. Then, I thought of this one. I remembered you asking me to pull those boxes down.

For a split second there, the vision of me going in there and lifting them down flashed before my minds eye.

Then, I thought; 'No. I can't be fukking bothered.' :(

Sorry, mate. Not myself just at this moment. Sword of fukking Damocles job, again. Life, as we know it, is on hold for a bit.

No worries buddy. Stay safe?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

How old would this stuff be Wolfdog?

Guy on here. Kens Deputy, knows a lot about this sort of stuff, from this side of the waters. Has a nice collection of catalogues, and other types of ephemera on trap, pest control and hunting gear.

4 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

How old would this stuff be Wolfdog?

Guy on here. Kens Deputy, knows a lot about this sort of stuff, from this side of the waters. Has a nice collection of catalogues, and other types of ephemera on trap, pest control and hunting gear.

The first three are probably from around the 1930's-60's  the last two are front he 80's I think.funny thing is alot of this equipment is still being used as is or modified to fit state laws . I know alot of trappers who still feel traps like the 3n's and new house are superior to modern traps for various reasons

Just a few more. Interesting fact that newhouse trap is still a preferred trap by most researchers doing wolf work. Either that or the live stock protection clone.  Basically the punctures from the teeth allow for drainage and keep the foot alive in cold temperatures then about anything else. That being said that the offset version where the Jaws and teeth don't shut all the way.

FB_IMG_1625521977391.jpg.2e46df52855c2e2f1edd4d12e6c4689a.jpgScreenshot_20210705-232244_1.png.d419d825d01bc377142af268d5eaf1a8.pngScreenshot_20210705-232252_1.png.ada63f5ec72ebd58e1797435554c1db1.pngScreenshot_20210705-232228_1.png.4a1961511faf9f8230b82399e5b5ad7f.pngScreenshot_20210705-165125_1.png.7f0c06f37d832f384bb9d52a5479c7ad.pngScreenshot_20210705-165210_1.png.e2dd4354c515f702ce45db4859bdaf9f.png

Screenshot_20210705-232252_1.png

• Thanks 1

A customer gave me cage trap today; " Had it years never caught anything."20210716_182802.jpg.7ff5f09d1b254a8dab09dc9f4cc5fd05.jpg

Not surprising really when in an effort to catch the squirrels raiding his fruit cage he had baited the treadle with  a single rasberry. Not a particularly good rasberry at that.

But then l couldn't fly a plane like he did for a living. Each to his own and vive la difference , Nikki le singe est sur le poste de television.

Anyway  l caught some squirrels for him and he gave me the trap. 

It brought back a few memories  .Just how do they fold? Fumble  "Oh yeah. "20210716_171521.jpg.fecc2569084fc417f745357f7cf5c24b.jpg

Weird ,l've posted it in Old Traps but to me it's  not old. It's  what we had as everyday tools.  Like, er how many years ago? . Ok ,it's  an old trap. 

Edited by comanche