Anyone remember club row

52 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

Most of my youth and early twenties was spent living in Tower Hamlets it was a shit ole then and an even bigger shit ole now ?

True but ther sone bigger shitholes up the road ?Barking and Dagenham is London’s most poverty-stricken borough, a major report has found , at least ther was some proper pubs women n food joints inner city think barking ranked no 12 in the UK poorest boroughs   But you got take into consideration it was a white area unlike new ham tower hamlets n Hackney so it’s paints its picture as the biggest poorest shithole London borough of Londoners lol ? will add they moved us out to live in flats to then give the Victorian built houses to the new arrivals gave them the chance to buy proper gaffs while we were left in shithouses 

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 1

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good old days. I remember a pub we used to go to over 50 years ago, on a Saturday, about 15 mile away, a long way back then. It was called The Lemington Hotel, but known far and wide as "The

It's no big deal, mate. My wife, my late daughter and myself walked up to the local pub for a meal. I knew exactly what the cost would be, me being an obsessive compulsive. The barman o

We used to get in the bird pubs. As kids the animal market was eye opening you could get  most things animal wise but look back at the times  from serious bird dealers to dog thieving cnts. It was all

Posted Images

1 hour ago, green lurchers said:

True but ther sone bigger shitholes up the road ?Barking and Dagenham is London’s most poverty-stricken borough, a major report has found , at least ther was some proper pubs women n food joints inner city think barking ranked no 12 in the UK poorest boroughs   But you got take into consideration it was a white area unlike new ham tower hamlets n Hackney so it’s paints its picture as the biggest poorest shithole London borough of Londoners lol ? will add they moved us out to live in flats to then give the Victorian built houses to the new arrivals gave them the chance to buy proper gaffs while we were left in shithouses 

I must admit I worked in Barking a few years ago for about 3 years right in the centre where the station is absolutely shocking people openly shitting in the street and cooking food in shop doorways on camper stoves proper 3rd world mentality there, real shame because the original Barking people were decent sorts.

• Sad 1
20 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Bloody hell you lot are arguing over who was poorer now ??

It’s like that Monty Python sketch well we lived in a cardboard box, Pah we lived in a cardboard box in the middle of a pond ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, FLATTOP said:

It’s like that Monty Python sketch well we lived in a cardboard box, Pah we lived in a cardboard box in the middle of a pond ?

Here it is?  

.  Don't know her born lad.!

• Haha 1

Never wish youŕ time away.  People say "oh it was better in the good old days" but it never  was.  It is a case of rose tinted glasses.   I'm not all that old to remember this stuff but life was worse back then really. If you go and look back on old YouTube vids alĺ the people looked old, they all looking  like refugees. It was all hand to mouth back then.  Standards of life in all ways have risen greatly. The only reason that people could leave their doors unlocked was that they had bugger all worth anything.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
16 hours ago, green lurchers said:

It’s ok for you Swanky London boys how much them drums round vicki park ? Lol go back in time newham posh ?

9C1EECD0-4F50-440E-BDED-041F25338BC9.jpeg

9498E468-2DEA-47AB-9192-8830E20C9CEE.jpeg

Im certainly not going to argue who was brought up in the biggest shithole mate its a stigma lads like me have always tried to shrug off... if you want the title you are absolutely welcome to it ?.

Its well documented over the years obviously places like Whitechapel/Spitalfields/Bethnal Green after war years were ravaged but even from way before that these areas always had terrible living conditions i think it was the 1910's - 1930's that the London County Council started a program of slum clearance,replacing them with " model dwellings " most of which were then flattened in the war ?.....Canning Town has always been in the 5% most deprived areas in the Uk,being next to the docks back then created poor densely populated,unsanitary slums.....you must know chaps today still carrying the nickname " Germ "....it was a nickname lads out of Canning Town carried and still do in some places ive got one in my phone even now !

Barkings a toilet no doubt about it but as youngsters anywhere past the North Circular we looked on as clean air,safety and half way to the seaside ! ......i just did even the most basic Google search and it brought this up.....but again if you want the title its yours you win,no problem at all ?

IMG_6951.jpg

IMG_6952.jpg

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1
On 29/03/2021 at 00:29, Meece said:

I'm to young to know those places in London because we didn't live there but father used to frequent them.  He lodged and worked in London.  I vaguely remember being taken to petticoat lane market on odd Sundays when I  stayed up there during holidays.  I remember the shouts of the market traders.  In the streets there were rag and bone men that came round the streets like Steptoe and son standing up on the cart and shouting out.  Even in those days someone coming round on a horse and cart was out moded .  It must have been towards the end of an era.  I remember more about Maidstone market. With birds,  rabbits,  puppies, kittens, snakes and alĺ sorts for sale. there were several large buildings with rails like clothes rails of ducks, geese, partridge, pheasants, hares.    In fact every sort of creature was there for auction by lot.  There were lorry loads of potatoes, boxes of broad beans, runner beans, lettices .  Again every sort of veg that was available.  Again it seemed to be the end of an era because none of these lots seemed to make any sort of money and most were withdrawn from the auctions.  It can't have Been worth taking the stuff there or even growing growing it.  Suddenly the market changed from a vibrant hub to a small amount of tat stalls. all the character's, the noise and smell of the market were gone. The stall holders and their sales speel  like the bloke juggling sets of crockery and the blokes on the meat lorry hacking carcasses down into chops and joint on a block in the back of a lorry with the crowd pushing forward waving notes to get a carrier bag of meat. There were tables of used second hand clothes pulled up high and crowds of women virtually fighting over some item of clothing.  Nowadays people wouldn't bother doig and it would all go for scrap rag. The charity shops won't even accept clothes unless they are like new. It used to be said that some mbongo in Biafra would be grateful but even they don't want it now.  Memories a past.  All gone now.

I always thought that taking the big markets out of London took the life out of the place, jmho.

The replacement of the market trader was also a major contributor, I remember as a kid going to Deptford and Roman Road regular with my pop, he knew all the traders and they all knew him, noise and excitement and men’s talk......I loved it as a little lad.

As a grown man I used to fire into a little cafe in petticoat Lane early before they put he stalls out, all the lads who got a few quid to put out the stalls used to be in there sobering up, old bill were in there, couple of Italians run the place......fantastic stuff.

Now, it’s all Pakistanis and it just feels horrible.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Im certainly not going to argue who was brought up in the biggest shithole mate its a stigma lads like me have always tried to shrug off... if you want the title you are absolutely welcome to it ?.

Its well documented over the years obviously places like Whitechapel/Spitalfields/Bethnal Green after war years were ravaged but even from way before that these areas always had terrible living conditions i think it was the 1910's - 1930's that the London County Council started a program of slum clearance,replacing them with " model dwellings " most of which were then flattened in the war ?.....Canning Town has always been in the 5% most deprived areas in the Uk,being next to the docks back then created poor densely populated,unsanitary slums.....you must know chaps today still carrying the nickname " Germ "....it was a nickname lads out of Canning Town carried and still do in some places ive got one in my phone even now !

Barkings a toilet no doubt about it but as youngsters anywhere past the North Circular we looked on as clean air,safety and half way to the seaside ! ......i just did even the most basic Google search and it brought this up.....but again if you want the title its yours you win,no problem at all ?

IMG_6951.jpg

IMG_6952.jpg

No tiitle seeker here mate  you might have not seen it from my angle. When London took barking as a borough they shipped out working folk and shipped in non workers. They spent heaps on regeneration of them parts and left the original habitants in lego land where the property was of not much value compared to the areas they got pushed out from ? I spent enough time on projects turning filthy shithokes into nice shitholes in Newham n tower hamlets were the vast majority  wher import dwellers who never worked I’d hazard a guess they spent fk all on the boroughs on the edges of town 

Edited by green lurchers