Leaving School

Guest MyDogsAGuire

Alright lads I have decided Im going to leave school, I cant bring myself to go there anymore I hate it that much :angel: Im 16 and living in Ireland so I was wondering could I get some advice from some of ye on here. :) I want to get a trade but dont know which one would be the best route to take? With people telling me the buildings are fecked etc. What do the lads working on the buildings now think? What about becoming an electrician surely the building of new houses would affect this to much? Anyway any advice from lads in the know is welcome ;)

P.S my mind is made up I do not want to stay in school :thumbs:

hi mate

i have a lot of cousins in Ireland & they have there own plastering firm give them a ring they is always looking for trainees.

they are based in Dublin in finglas RT PLASTERING SERVICES look them up and ask for Rodney or Kevin .

they might be able to help. dont forget education is important on how to get by in life good luck

from a son of a jackin

Davy

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get your comercial gas certificate. You will ever be out of work!!! Even the rubbish engineers can walk out and get a new job the next day due to the labour shortage. As it is a regulated field anyone cant just do it.

Depents on what you really want to do though. You can do courses in bathroom fitting or kitchen fitting. They last about a week and cost about £500.

There is alot of money in kitchens. My partner and I have recently started up in business and we are focusing on central heating service and installation. However, we sub in kitchen fitters and bathroom fitters and we make our money by marking up their hourly rate plus marking up the material.

An average kitchen from Howdens (merchant) would cost us £3500, we sell it at £4500 - £5200 depending on circumstances. I have good kitchen fitters who charge £200 per day for a two man team (well undercutting themselves) and my labour rate is £350 per team. Over three days our costs are £3500 plus £600 = £4100. Our selling price would be £4500 plus £1050 = £5550 Thats £1450 proffit for us and we didnt lift a finger.

We are doing it part time at present. I am a salesman so can go and look at jobs for us when I am out and about and my partner who is hands on does the manual work during evenings and weekends. The kitchens were just a sideline but are comming on well.

If the work keeps comming we will be full time shortly. I have two young kids so its a big risk for me.

I am looking into getting a website at present

Guest coney catcher99

im in the exactly the same boat as you mate iv never liked school always had the lowest attendance in the school if i aint out with the dogs im working iv been doing a bit of painting and decorating with my dad over a few years and realised its much better earning than it is swatting the teachers in school have now realised that i have no time 4 school what so ever so they have let me work 3 days a week and go to school 2 days a week just to do some maths and english and i dont bother going at all as i aint sitting my gcse's so i think whats the point i just cant face the place when i know i can be some where else raking the coin in i want to do painting and decorating when i offically leave they say i wont get into college with no gcse's butt i mate of mine have told me aslong as i got someone who will take me on as an appretiship they got 2 except me i dont really want to go to college as i think you will learn more off the old school than you ever will in collage butt its the same as all the constuction works now you got to have your papers so im going to go and do a 2/3 year course to get them then bring on the big wide world :thumbs:

Guest Rabbiteer

National service is the way forward my young friend. Run down to the local Army Careers office and sign what ever they put in front of you.

By the time your service is up you will be begging to go back to school but this time you will have guts, commitment and courage about you.

I remember for my 19th birthday being on parade and having my section commander head-butt me in the face. As I was laying there on the floor with blood pouring out of my nose he said those imortal words to me......................

"Pte, is it your birthday today"?

"Yes Cpl it is"

"Well dont expect a F******** present of me you F******** C***"

Yeh, well I know it seemed harsh at the time, but its made me the man I am today. So get on down there and sign those papers. I have had many a pint with the Irish boys whilst in Kosovo, really great guys.

Wishing you all the best,

Rabbiteer

I really think you should stay in school as you will need some qualifications whatever trade you decide on. Then you will need to go to college to be successfull in your chosen trade.

Just stay at it a little longer and it will be worthwhile in the long run. Dont rush now, there has been some good advice offered to you through this forum. Good Luck for the future.

hi mate

i have a lot of cousins in Ireland & they have there own plastering firm give them a ring they is always looking for trainees.

they are based in Dublin in finglas RT PLASTERING SERVICES look them up and ask for Rodney or Kevin .

they might be able to help. dont forget education is important on how to get by in life good luck

from a son of a jackin

Davy

IMHO steer clear of plastering.. it is a sole destroying job that also feck's your body..

Millet

i dont mind being a plasterer its an alright job

gcse's mean f**k all mate take no notice, my grades were not worth a wank, a went to college for nearly 5 years , the maths can get a bit hard, but if u stick in you will get through, a would advise going for and electrical apprenticeship, but a would say that cause thats what a did, plumming is a bit more of hard work, they work on guttering on house roofs etc, work with shitty toilets, oh yes a could go on if a want lol.

good luck a hope it works out

im 21 now,soon as i left school i went to college for a year (because thats what you think is right to keep everyone happy)but after that id had enough of education and went into contrustion as iv always been practical/physical rather than academic.GCSE grades mean nothin,no grades do as long as your good at what trade you choose,im a plasterer now earnin good muni more than ppl do that finish uni,my advise is to ring every number in the yellow pages/phone books and ask if [NO TEXT TALK] needs an apprentice/labourer and go straight onto site and start working.but you CANT be afraid of hard workthats what i did and im all on my own now self employed loving it.i dnt advise electrics or plumbing though as theres alot of theory to that. hope this helps

Sean

Don' t forget there are trades outside construction. Engineering, agriculture and so on. Think about what there is a continuing need for in your part of the world. I know someone who earns good money artificially inseminating cattle, another who does well freeze branding... just examples, but there will always be work for them.

If you do get taken on by a good company, remember that they are giving you a chance- you might not get paid much, but they won' t earn much out of you for the first few months, so put up with the cr@p wage, try and stay keen and look at things long term.

What others have said about wet trades knackering you by the time you get into your forties is 100% right- I' m only in my thirties, and working up on the scaffold in bad weather, or down in cellars, is getting to be a right killer, and it' ll get worse as the years go by.

mate bet you had herd it before(stay on at school) ive been in the building trade 20 years its not all wots it's cracked up to be.working in the rain-frost-wind but allright for 2weeks out of the year we get a bit of sun.i got city and guilds in plastering and thats my main job .but you have to do allsorts building-tiling-roofing ect.money depends on who you work for. big firms around were i live pay about£9--10 PER hour but if you can get work with a smaller firm you could get around£12-13 per hour on the books and about£15 per hour c/i/s which adds up if your working 45hours per like i do.so it has it's up's and down's---maybe aim a bit higher architect or quality surveyor or building inspector

good luck

(dont rush in to anything think first)

If you really are set on leaving, I think there are two great bits of advise on here........train to be a farrier, bloody good job and bloody good money; the other........join the army! Sign up with a support regiment, they'll teach you a "trade" giving you a skill and experiance for when you leave and they'll pay you while you do it!! Can't be bad.

Seriously, even if you havn't thought about it before, get down to your local afco or get online and have a look.....

All the best with whatever you decide.

Guest craftycarper

stay at school and get your qualifications mate, you will need them anyway to get into college, it's best to be overqualified with plenty of choices than underqualified and taking on crap to make ends meet, failing that leave school now and get a job at ronald macdonalds on the minimum wage under a fiver an hour, that way you can stay at home when your mates are on the lash and you can't afford to go, and you can stay in the uk with a nice white tan when your friends are holidaying abroad sunbathing & bedding all them lasses...now tell me you want to leave school :whistling::whistling: you don'y wanna end up like some others years from now saying them immortal lines ...if only i had.....