Mars????

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shroom would actually be a good choice due to not being particularly 'resource intensive'. Unfortunately I think his crew mates would throw him out the airlock after a month! "So I was f***ing th

My understanding it’s a bit like wrapping my shopping in silver foil so I can pass through the security barriers at supermarkets undetected , but beyond that, I,ll stay in my lane ??

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

There’s next to no water under the crust. And yes, I’m sure. Lol

Really? What about all of the aquifers and cave systems (surely some still to be discovered)?

Also, some water must permeate downwards. 

2 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

Really? What about all of the aquifers and cave systems (surely some still to be discovered)?

Also, some water must permeate downwards. 

Next to f**k all compared to what’s in the oceans. Google it.

Do aquifers go below the crust and into the mantle? Either way. f**k all. Lol

• Like 2
SSEC.SI.EDU

Some scientists think Earth's oceans formed when icy comets hit the planet...

Fair one, so some scientists have theorised that there is based on various evidence. Seems very early to be saying with any certainty how much there is.

Edited by Born Hunter
48 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Next to f**k all compared to what’s in the oceans. Google it.

Do aquifers go below the crust and into the mantle? Either way. f**k all. Lol

I guess so - without a doubt there is a lot of water in the oceans but, surely there's a fair amount below ground aswell.

........ the surface isn't impervious and, their will be gaps further down.

To answer Francies question, is there is water there that  gets effected by gravity -  it must be effected in some way by the moon, however small.

On 20/02/2021 at 20:02, Jonjon79 said:

I guess so - without a doubt there is a lot of water in the oceans but, surely there's a fair amount below ground aswell.

To answer Francies question, if there is water there, it must be effected in some way by the moon, however small.

There is water below the ground (in the crust). f**k all compared to what is in the oceans.

That is with the exception of this stuff in the mantle that Francie has talked about. But having now read up on it they really haven’t a firm answer on how much there is.

This stuff they think they’ve found in the mantle is contained in the structure of the rocks. Even if these rocks enabled flow of the water they’d have to be virtually  globally connected and sufficiently permeable to enable the water to flow fast enough to keep up with daily cycles. The oceans are pretty much unrestricted and globally connected so they have that freedom.

Edited by Born Hunter
Correction
  • Like 1
30 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

There is water below the ground (in the crust). f**k all compared to what is in the oceans.

That is with the exception of this stuff in the mantle that Francie has talked about. But having now read up on it they really haven’t a firm answer on how much there is.

This stuff they think they’ve found in the mantle is contained in the pores of porous rocks. In the same way that some conventional ground water and oil and gas is. Even if these rocks have sufficient permeability to enable flow they’d have to be virtually  globally connected and sufficiently permeable to enable the water to flow fast enough to keep up with daily cycles. The oceans are pretty much unrestricted and globally connected so they have that freedom.

Good point - I can't really argue with that.

........ it's an interesting subject though :thumbs:

I wonder if the liquid rock is effected  :hmm:

17 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

Good point - I can't really argue with that.

........ it's an interesting subject though :thumbs:

It is, and I've learnt something.

18 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

I wonder if the liquid rock is effected  :hmm:

Tides are essentially the surface water sloshing about unrestricted. Any fluid bodies deep beneath the surface are sort of 'contained' by rock. Be like trying to slosh beans about in the can, vs in a bowl.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Jonjon79 said:

To answer Francies question, is there is water there that  gets effected by gravity -  it must be effected in some way by the moon, however small.

Anything and everything is effected by gravity. For example Jupiter's moon (forget which one off the top of my head) bulges due to the gravitational pull of Jupiter. Our moon moves everything that is able to be moved under the force of gravity.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mushroom said:

Anything and everything is effected by gravity. For example Jupiter's moon (forget which one off the top of my head) bulges due to the gravitational pull of Jupiter. Our moon moves everything that is able to be moved under the force of gravity.

Does that mean the water under us in the caves an chambers would rise too mush?

10 minutes ago, Francie said:

Does that mean the water under us in the caves an chambers would rise too mush?

Mate, the great flood happened!

It was caused by massive glaciers collapsing (ice was the dam) this is written on the earth and proven by geology. It happend all over the northern hemisphere and the effects were massive floods and a huge rise in sea level.

So the water that is part of this earth is just that. No matter where it is. 

As Born said who knows how much of whatever is down there ?‍♂️

I will say this..... gravity is one muthafuka of a force ;)

• Like 2

The "Flood" is mentioned in most religions and myths.

Its postulated that it may have been the breaching of the Pillars of Hercules, or the Bosporus land bridge, both of which would have had catastrophic results in the Mediterranean, and explain the myth in the Semitic religions.

It doesn't, however explain how religions and myths as diverse as the Chinese, Australian aboriginals, North American natives and Norse all have Great Flood Myths.

So, perhaps that's all it is, a myth ?

Cheers.

• Like 1