Out last night

Set up all the long nets an Thursday and returned Saturday night and lifted them up had a great night only got a few. The interesting thing we saw was not all the rabbits would hit the net but run along it. It was like they new the net was up luckily my mate has a whippet who was a great help. 

F38B91C5-B507-49FD-8B9B-5A2F9DC486E0.jpeg

1AE3074E-05AE-4F8B-8196-13D72619B5D4.jpeg

6AFC59BE-2519-4EC2-ABDE-DCC097BDF37C.jpeg

91A0DF35-CC0D-4E85-A794-DC060D11FB18.jpeg

• Like 1

dodgy game leaving long nets up mate....rabbits that get caught in them and left will soon chew big holes in them....not to mention any other critters that happen to be wandering around......

i remember a few years ago we longnetted a huge warren ....started ferreting the warren...after a few hours liffted the ferrets then had a lunch break sat in the 4x4 to keep out of the cold only a 100 yard from the warren....after a brew and butty went back to the warren....had 3 rabbits in the net all 3 still caught ....but holes in the net all round them...1 of which had made a right mess and was only caught by the rear hock.....but the mess that bunny made was that bad i just cut the net either side of great hole...and made a shorter stop net out one end

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, TOMO said:

dodgy game leaving long nets up mate....rabbits that get caught in them and left will soon chew big holes in them....not to mention any other critters that happen to be wandering around......

i remember a few years ago we longnetted a huge warren ....started ferreting the warren...after a few hours liffted the ferrets then had a lunch break sat in the 4x4 to keep out of the cold only a 100 yard from the warren....after a brew and butty went back to the warren....had 3 rabbits in the net all 3 still caught ....but holes in the net all round them...1 of which had made a right mess and was only caught by the rear hock.....but the mess that bunny made was that bad i just cut the net either side of great hole...and made a shorter stop net out one end

Yeah they can fairly chew when left. We once bagged some up as we worked a hedge line, hanging the sacks on a fence as we went, the idea being to release them elsewhere later after mixy had wiped em out. When we went to retrieve them every bag had a chewed hole and no rabbits in it ?

Stupid rabbits signed their own death warrent by escaping as they had to be lamped later. 

29 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Yeah they can fairly chew when left. We once bagged some up as we worked a hedge line, hanging the sacks on a fence as we went, the idea being to release them elsewhere later after mixy had wiped em out. When we went to retrieve them every bag had a chewed hole and no rabbits in it ?

Stupid rabbits signed their own death warrent by escaping as they had to be lamped later. 

When i was young i was told never put live Rabbits in a sack  as HESSIAN would kill them if they chewed it 

1 minute ago, micky said:

When i was young i was told never put live Rabbits in a sack  as HESSIAN would kill them if they chewed it 

Ahh right interesting. The only one that didn't escape was dead in the bag when we went to release it ?

3 hours ago, Guss33 said:

Set up all the long nets an Thursday and returned Saturday night and lifted them up had a great night only got a few. The interesting thing we saw was not all the rabbits would hit the net but run along it. It was like they new the net was up luckily my mate has a whippet who was a great help. 

F38B91C5-B507-49FD-8B9B-5A2F9DC486E0.jpeg

1AE3074E-05AE-4F8B-8196-13D72619B5D4.jpeg

6AFC59BE-2519-4EC2-ABDE-DCC097BDF37C.jpeg

91A0DF35-CC0D-4E85-A794-DC060D11FB18.jpeg

Why did you put them down on Thursday and return days later? Surely they would be fully aware of them in that time, that's why they run along them. The idea of netting anything is that the quarry suddenly finds a net somewhere it didn't expect it to be. Not trying to be clever, just don't understand your plan 

I am only new to this game as I am use to using Purce nets the long netting is something I want to learn more about I have done plenty around rabbit warans with ferrets but never done night time long netting this was the first time for me. I am open up to information or web sites where I can learn more of the night hunting if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great. 

How long should you put the nets out before the time you lift them up. I was led to believe that you set your nets up a day before and lower them on the ground for a night hunt. On the night you turn up lift up quietly lift up the nets and slowly start from one end and start chasing them in to the net. The reason I put it down a day or two earlier is I was led to believe the rabbits get use to them on the ground and walk over them by doing this their should be plenty of rabbits out in the field on the night you lift up the nets. Is what I am doing correct. 

I think what he's doing is lying the nets out in the field, then on the night he's setting them by hand and then going round and trying to run them in. 

I've played around with long nets but don't feel in a position to teach anyone online. I'm sure someone could recommend a good book or dvd 

5 hours ago, socks said:

You can have a decent haul using a drop net in the right place. This is part of a set. 

I  bet a good few made it over the net once the top line was on the floor with the weight of the rabbits.

Good numbers  ?