Buffalo, montane and army smock

Wasn’t aware of any of the above until recently. Tend to ware a t shirt, something warm with a zip and a goretex army jacket.

Can I have your personal accounts of any of the above, including the style of above brand and what you use it for....and if you rate it.

I just mooch about in the daytime, woods, fields  and moorland. Tends to be for an hour or two, just walking slow stopping once or twice for a cuppa from my flask. I also carry a rucksack.

I was considering buying a buffalo.....they do a few similar, but different designs and was wondering which would suit me best hence wondering what you have found.

I believe the buffalo active is very similar to the army smock....the army smock been considerably cheaper.

• Like 1

I'm interested in the replies you get to this too. I've been considering getting a buffalo for several years but always end up changing my mind because a) I'm not certain if I'm entirely happy with the wet but warm philosophy (though I do use wool socks and trail running shoes for the majority of the year) and b) I'm a tad hirsute so I'm worried they'd be too warm.

• Like 1

It’s a lot of money to spend on something that might end up in the cupboard, but some people really rave about them. I think it’s a case of buying the right one......and washing them correctly. I don’t think you can use biological washing powder, non biological I believe is the one to use.

Don’t know if you’ve been on their site, but there are buyers reviews for each item they sell. 

Theres also a fella on YouTube “ Woolys  world” who’s  done several  reviews on these jackets and the montane, he also covers the army softie and smock......worth a watch..

Edited by Shortstraw
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Best lightweight jacket for the money was one i bought off a member off hear who was selling them ex army camo can't remember his name he was also a dab hand with computers .

Flipper Al?

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Best lightweight jacket for the money was one i bought off a member off hear who was selling them ex army camo can't remember his name he was also a dab hand with computers .

Bought one of those at the time. It lives in the car and I use it often. 20 odd quid...bargain. I bought one for my mate as well 👍🏻

• Like 1

I bought a Montane Extreme off a bloke on here they are extremely hot zips at the side to cool you down,  for walking or hiking far too hot but for laying in a ditch you can’t get better for warmth, I would say one thing I’m a large and they come up a little bit tight so what I’m saying is if your a fat large think about the XL overall a good bit of kit in the right circumstances. 

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

I bought a Montane Extreme off a bloke on here they are extremely hot zips at the side to cool you down,  for walking or hiking far too hot but for laying in a ditch you can’t get better for warmth, I would say one thing I’m a large and they come up a little bit tight so what I’m saying is if your a fat large think about the XL overall a good bit of kit in the right circumstances. 

Tidy kit if your stood around not moving😉I use one for fishing... End up sweating your bollocks off if you do any amount of exercise in them... You used to be able to buy the matching trousers /dungarees for them👍

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Daniel cain said:

Tidy kit if your stood around not moving😉I use one for fishing... End up sweating your bollocks off if you do any amount of exercise in them... You used to be able to buy the matching trousers /dungarees for them👍

Spot on they are mega hot once you do any sort of exertion I stupidly tried to climb Pen Y Fan in mine it was off in no time on the Storey arms route which is quite a steep effort I ended up at the top in just a thermal layer in -5/8 winds I was boiling lol...

I’ve got a nice pair of Army issue oil resistant dungarees which are 100% waterproof little bit noisy though when your sneaking about.

1 minute ago, FLATTOP said:

Spot on they are mega hot once you do any sort of exertion I stupidly tried to climb Pen Y Fan in mine it was off in no time on the Storey arms route which is quite a steep effort I ended up at the top in just a thermal layer in -5/8 winds I was boiling lol...

I’ve got a nice pair of Army issue oil resistant dungarees which are 100% waterproof little bit noisy though when your sneaking about.

Lol, I chuck it in a bag for when I get to the summit😁best coat I've worn up there for warmth in the snow, used to be up and down it 3/4 times a week in my younger days👍

• Haha 1

The only smock garment i have is a Stoney Creek bush shirt i bought some years ago and hardly ever wear it its like a sweat bucket after a brisk walk then if you are static for any long period of time feels like you are wearing a sheet of ice any jacket for me would have to be a zip up.

• Like 1