Well that went wrong!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If there is one thing I hate its snow! If there is one thing I love hunting in its snow! As you know I've been feeding a fox. Think my trail cam just packed up but the fox had taken a p

Went and checked the stink pit where I dropped a dozen squirrels yesterday  and every one had gone! I left another and after a good scan around headed back to the car. On the way I heard a fox ba

Did somebody say NV? 

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, David.evans said:

Did you lads not know that foxes can see in 3D 

And  have smart TVs down the earth  and order kfc for tea from Uber 

spokk told me thro my hearing aid from a distant planet , 

Ok Dave calm down lad. Eastenders isn't real. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

Lol but  to be quite honest I have been wondering what it is they detect. I've had several detect the ir on my spotter. Meece maybe onto something, let's not forget their hearing range is far greater than ours!

I can accept the foxes have hearing aids, but where do they get the batteries from?

Edited by Alsone
  • Haha 3

I wrote that it was random But this particular Charlie IS able to detect IR devices.   I did hear that back in the troubles in Northern Ireland that the IRA had found that IR devices used by the army could be detected by electronic listening devises. It ain't science fiction it's technology.  I have a Couple of pairs of hearing aids and for some reason one of those buzzes when I  am outside near my cctv cameras.  It only happens with one specific pair when the IR is on after dark not during the day. I can go at least 40 paces away and it still buzzes. It works on other IR illuminators as well.  I also have a pair of electronic ear defenders that I use on the range that will do it as well. The direction ìs must like a DF loop. The doubting Thomas's of the Charlies out there just get shot because they didn't take heed. You have to have lateral  thinking on this one because it has been educated. .No different to every time you see a red light come on a bullet whistles past !!  They are not as stupid as some. ☺

Edited by Meece
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Meece said:

I wrote that it was random But this particular Charlie IS able to detect IR devices.   I did hear that back in the troubles in Northern Ireland that the IRA had found that IR devices used by the army could be detected by electronic listening devises. It ain't science fiction it's technology.  I have a Couple of pairs of hearing aids and for some reason one of those buzzes when I  am outside near my cctv cameras.  It only happens with one specific pair when the IR is on after dark not during the day. I can go at least 40 paces away and it still buzzes. It works on other IR illuminators as well.  I also have a pair of electronic ear defenders that I use on the range that will do it as well. The direction ìs must like a DF loop. The doubting Thomas's of the Charlies out there just get shot because they didn't take heed. You have to have lateral  thinking on this one because it has been educated. .No different to every time you see a red light come on a bullet whistles past !!  They are not as stupid as some. ☺

Its energy. Energy can be detected in many ways and converted in many ways.

• Like 2

Actually I might have to eat my joke here.

I found this whilst searching for a fox with a hearing aid (I thought some right Packha Charlie would probably have given a fox one). It seems according to Packman not only do foxes have radar domes for ears, but they can detect magnetic fields. As most buzzing from electronics indicate a magnetic field, it could be a combination of sound and magnetic field if Packman is right. The video is here, but the narration is painful.

Here's you torture for the morning. Pity it isn't Halloween:

All I can say is with steerable radar domes and detection of disturbances in the magnetic force straight out of Star Wars, why aren't we strapping foxes to the front of fighter jets for enemy detection. That would really get the anti's going.....

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Well I'm still playing with her.

She comes to bait around 10:30 but the security light isn't triggered by it.

I have a battery operated small security light I'm going to fix.

In one photo its checking the trail cameras ir illuminators! So I fear nv might not work.

Meet slinky 2!

PTDC0172.JPG.e922269802bce72102f621866d5a8234.JPG

We've got one who's a fan of the IR on trail cams.

IMG_0062.JPG.7dc4cdc76adee7dbd06d69085e9c691c.JPGIMG_0063.JPG.144c5b63aeb6c687eb09b1289956639f.JPG

7 minutes ago, Alsone said:

Actually I might have to eat my joke here.

I found this whilst searching for a fox with a hearing aid (I thought some right Packha Charlie would probably have given a fox one). It seems according to Packman not only do foxes have radar domes for ears, but they can detect magnetic fields. As most buzzing from electronics indicate a magnetic field, it could be a combination of sound and magnetic field if Packman is right. The video is here, but the narration is painful.

Here's you torture for the morning. Pity it isn't Halloween:

All I can say is with steerable radar domes and detection of disturbances in the magnetic force straight out of Star Wars, why aren't we strapping foxes to the front of fighter jets for enemy detection. That would really get the anti's going.....

They have tried it but the fox goes ape when they insert the Jack plug!

I do my utmost to not haughtily think man knows everything. Why, because if we did where fox's are concerned we would of iradicated them by now with all this tech but we ain't!

• Haha 1

Just a few thoughts here.

(1) SD you know the rules on the slinky title. You need to submit an account of each encounter on here for official assessment by the "panel". If the fox is deemed suitably cunning by the said panel and not just a victim of incompetence by the hunter, then the title slinky will be bestowed on the fox.? 

(2) I don't believe for one minute a fox can "hear" light. It may well be hearing high pitched frequencies emitted by the cameras electronics.

(3) I will concede the fact that some especially wary foxes will see the red glow from an led pilled i/r source and run off. However if you use a modern vcsel laser as the source of i/r and focus it down to just filling your scope picture, you will be very unlucky for a fox to see it. Such i/r sources are a much more focused beam and you need to be directly in front of it to detect a red glow, move a few inches either way and the beam is undetectable.  I first started using these lasers when the now defunct starlight first introduced the Dragonfly and immediately noticed how much better it was at dealing with lamp shy foxes. 

Edited by ianm
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, ianm said:

Just a few thoughts here.

(1) SD you know the rules on the slinky title. You need to submit an account of each encounter on here for official assessment by the "panel". If the fox is deemed suitably cunning by the said panel and not just a victim of incompetence by the hunter, then the title slinky will be bestowed on the fox.? 

(2) I don't believe for one minute a fox can "hear" light. It may well be hearing high pitched frequencies emitted by the cameras electronics.

(3) I will concede the fact that some especially wary foxes will see the red glow from an led pilled i/r source and run off. However if you use a modern vcsel laser as the source of i/r and focus it down to just filling your scope picture, you will be very unlucky for a fox to see it. Such i/r sources are a much more focused beam and you need to be directly in front of it to detect a red glow, move a few inches either way and the beam is undetectable.  I first started using these lasers when the now defunct starlight first introduced the Dragonfly and immediately noticed how much better it was at dealing with lamp shy foxes. 

I doubt very much it is the dim red glow they see mate. I've had them detect it with lots of background light sources which I'm sorry to say for the panels sake blows the theory out of the water!

Up close to a trail camera maybe due to the number of lad's and in close proximity.

I dunno except for some of them are very smart indeed. I have watched them listening to electric fences and know exactly when to dart through!

Maybe the panel can explain that?

Yours truly A. Novice. 

• Haha 1