Coming on nicely...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The pup has started to mark at hight now, he air scented this squirrel which I shot with the scout.

His hunting up is getting better ?? , he air scented this cock bird from the path.  

I used to be jealous of people with pet springers, there dogs graft naturally, my lurchers just didn’t have that push to find where there wasn’t much game whereas these pet springers just did it for f

Posted Images

5 hours ago, C.green said:

Nice mate you cant beat a good catty dog. My terrier is the bollox for marking squirrels can walk out this time of year and just know hes finding ya shots at them. 

Sounds like a Gud un mate.In my younger years I had a little border/bedlington that was mustard on em mate 

7 hours ago, Mr Wilkes said:

The pup has started to mark at hight now, he air scented this squirrel which I shot with the scout.

7A962779-CB1C-4883-8AB6-37AF5E7B0FF9.jpeg

C8142E95-B9D8-44FB-8B02-EF037E893BAE.jpeg

Looking good mate! What do you think makes the best catty dog? Or is any breed up to the task and just requires the right training and introduction? The whippet dog I have at the minute isn't too bad, great at finding and marking but not so good at retrieving feather. He seem to mouth them alot and will only really carry them by their head! I lost my whippet bitch last year and she was excellent at both marking and retrieving. I'm hoping to replace her (once the ridiculous prices people are asking for pups comes down) and fancy a lurcher this time, I'm just not sure which cross? My mate uses a spaniel x patterdale and although is brilliant, it's just not my type of dog.

I believe in getting them out at a early age imo they learn a lot quicker and bond better with you... he’s had all sorts of birds animals in his mouth ( all dead) and hunts like a gud un, as for retrieving we tug trained him and every thing he picks up is brought to dad for a game of tug.. imo I think most dogs regardless of breed will with the right training and entering make a good catty dog. I think we may be stuck with the price of pups for the for seeable future. But I look at it as you pay the money and you’ve got your hunting partner.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, andysparks said:

Looking good mate! What do you think makes the best catty dog? Or is any breed up to the task and just requires the right training and introduction? The whippet dog I have at the minute isn't too bad, great at finding and marking but not so good at retrieving feather. He seem to mouth them alot and will only really carry them by their head! I lost my whippet bitch last year and she was excellent at both marking and retrieving. I'm hoping to replace her (once the ridiculous prices people are asking for pups comes down) and fancy a lurcher this time, I'm just not sure which cross? My mate uses a spaniel x patterdale and although is brilliant, it's just not my type of dog.

My mate has a springer x whippet and is more than happy with it when mouching about with the catty .

• Like 1

I use a first cross beddywhippet for mooching and everything else really. I am biased towards Bedlington blood as I have had quite a few. always fancied a pure whippet one day. Next one will be a three quarter cross. 

• Like 1
On 28/11/2020 at 18:05, andysparks said:

I’ve got a springer x lurcher........she puts all other lurcher/ hunting dogs I’ve owned to shame when it comes to squirrels. She’s brilliant to watch. I would really like my next to have springer in it when the time comes. Problem is nobody seems to breed them, mine was an accidental mating. I’d like 50% springer in there, but to be fair most dogs given a bit of time will do the job nicely.

• Like 1