He is shaking the hand of god

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just like the childlike style of that video. Granted its a small snapshot of the man but its how i imagine my 10 year old would be if he transported into a adult body and was class at football . I a

But by most as a genius, and one of the most gifted players to play the game. RIP Diego ??

A rare talent & legend.....Early death is inevitable with that level of self abuse

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, pesky1972 said:

Good documentary film on Channel 4 tonight about Maradona’s time at Napoli. 

That's what makes him the best for me, to win the league, that was known as the best league in the world at that time with a team that has never been champions before is an amazing feat. 

I never really saw him that much live but my uncle saw a lot of him at Napoli and said he was unbelievable, other players and managers of that era recognise what an amazing achievement that was. 

Edited by Greb147
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

That's what makes him the best for me, to win the league, that was known as the best league in the world at that time with a team that has never been champions before is an amazing feat. 

I never really saw him that much live but my uncle saw a lot of him at Napoli and said he was unbelievable, other players and managers of that era recognise what an amazing achievement that was. 

There's no doubt he is up among the best ever mate, he won the world Cup for Argentina in 86, took them to the final in 90...and what he done in Napoli was basically 1 man transforming a very poor team into the best side in Italy for the 3 or 4 year period he was at his peak....

People may judge him on his off field issues, or even the hand of God goal...but he was an amazing player...completely unplayable when he turned it on....he drew tackles and rode them like no other, he was battered every game but was tough as f**k and his quality was too much for anyone in that era...

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

There's no doubt he is up among the best ever mate, he won the world Cup for Argentina in 86, took them to the final in 90...and what he done in Napoli was basically 1 man transforming a very poor team into the best side in Italy for the 3 or 4 year period he was at his peak....

People may judge him on his off field issues, or even the hand of God goal...but he was an amazing player...completely unplayable when he turned it on....he drew tackles and rode them like no other, he was battered every game but was tough as f**k and his quality was too much for anyone in that era...

Spot on pal, to compare him with today's players is not possible tbh. 

Like you said, watching him evade leg crunching tackles and out muscle much bigger players was a sight to behold. 

He was as strong as an ox and yet was so fluid and balanced, above all that he had immense passion and charisma. 

You have to remember, he was that amazing despite abusing his body and health for most of his career! 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Spot on pal, to compare him with today's players is not possible tbh. 

Like you said, watching him evade leg crunching tackles and out muscle much bigger players was a sight to behold. 

He was as strong as an ox and yet was so fluid and balanced, above all that he had immense passion and charisma. 

You have to remember, he was that amazing despite abusing his body and health for most of his career! 

Gazza was great at it too....not as good as Maradona though...they wanted contact, knowing they would bounce off it and the player was on the deck/out of the game.... to keep getting hacked down and getting up to do it again is courage in football.... maybe the bloke was a prick, maybe he was a street kid from f**k all and had no way to control it when he had the world...he was a f***ing brilliant though... I was born 76, the 86 world cup is the first one I remember i hated him!!  Lol

• Like 1

Been pictures of him in his coffin with people posing with  him over last couple of days 

Looks like Boca Ultras got hold of them and killed 2/3 of them

Why anybody would want pictures etc , but even more why they would want to risk the wrath of crazy hooligans in a time of mourning is beyond me 

I don’t think he was the best ever, his choices and achievements just don’t back that up.

Yes he went and changed the fortunes of Napoli and played against some of the best organised defences in the world but then lots of players did that.

He couldn’t hack it at Barcelona and before that he was playing for someone like Boca or whoever it was.

Can we hand on heart say he was as good as Ronaldo (the original) ?

He was getting lumps kicked out of him weekly too and he played for the biggest teams and won more than Maradona could ever dream of.

If Dennis Bergkamp had got on aeroplanes would Maradona be as good as him ? 

He was a latter day George Best at best and I don’t think that makes him the best ever player by a long shot.

The best want to be the best and test themselves and he never did that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, WILF said:

I don’t think he was the best ever, his choices and achievements just don’t back that up.

Yes he went and changed the fortunes of Napoli and played against some of the best organised defences in the world but then lots of players did that.

He couldn’t hack it at Barcelona and before that he was playing for someone like Boca or whoever it was.

He was getting lumps kicked out of him weekly too and he played for the biggest teams and won more than Maradona could ever dream of.

He was a latter day George Best at best and I don’t think that makes him the best ever player by a long shot.

That post is way off IMO. 

Bergkamp was a good player but to put him in Maradona's class is crazy if you ask me. 

Speaking of Barca, you do know he had his leg broken against Bilbao who were basically ordered to butcher him, he suffered lots of injuries there. I don't think he got on with the the clubs president and was having run-ins with him over his drug abuse. It was nothing to do with his performance on the pitch. 

As for Boca, don't understand your point? They were a very good team back in those days, how's that affect his legacy? 

He didn't prove to be the best, what more did he have to do? ?

Edited by Greb147
9 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

That post is way off IMO. 

Bergkamp was a good player but to put him in Maradona's class is crazy if you ask me. 

Speaking of Barca, you do know he had his leg broken against Bilbao who were basically ordered to butcher him, he suffered lots of injuries there. I don't think he got on with the the clubs president and was having run-ins with him over his drug abuse. It was nothing to do with his performance on the pitch. 

As for Boca, don't understand your point? They were a very good team back in those days, how's that affect his legacy? 

He didn't prove to be the best, what more did he have to do? ?

Be ronaldo

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

That doesn't make sense either tbh. 

Ronaldo was an amazing player in his own right but he was an out and out striker, Maradona was a playmaker. 

You are entitled to think he was the best mate, no problem with that at all.

All I was saying is that I don’t think so and giving reasons why ?

But, talking of Ronaldo, if we are making comparisons Maradonas honours would fit in a match box but you’d need an articulated truck for Ronaldo ;) 

Just now, WILF said:

You are entitled to think he was the best mate, no problem with that at all.

All I was saying is that I don’t think so and giving reasons why ?

But, talking of Ronaldo, if we are making comparisons Maradonas honours would fit in a match box but you’d need an articulated truck for Ronaldo ;) 

Yes everyone is entitled to their opinion but stats and honours don't tell the full story, you need a bit of context to digest IMO. 

1 hour ago, WILF said:

No way the best ever in my opinion either, Ronaldo (phenomenon), Ronaldo, Messi and Zidane are all higher up my list...but he is certainly one of the best, not many players can pretty much single handedly win the league and the World Cup for their teams, and there is no doubt without Maradona Naploi weee relegation material and Argentina wouldn't have won the world Cup.. 

His other shit choices is why his longevity can't rival a few others, as much as I loved Bergkamp, he is not with the ones mentioned above in my book

• Thanks 1