He felt like chicken tonight

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a text from the chicken farm/free range egg producer . A fox was spotted making off with a chicken at dusk .         I said I would be over the next afternoon. Anyway that afternoon was pissing

Well I just had sandwich last night incase I had to get down and back up again.....wait a minute....I don't do that?‍♂️. Never saw nothing last night on four places but Intel  says they are there

I’ve watched them just walk straight through the strands with not a twitch . The fence itself is a 12 strand that is run off the mains and I can tell you from personal experience that it is a hell of

Posted Images

As soon as  conditions are put on shooting,  it's time to forget it. It their problem. So why are they not addressing that problem theirselves. One of the son in laws was offered shooting on what looked like excellent ground. Why weren't  people shooting on it.?  The owner's of this piece of laid down a list of conditions as long as your arm.  These were totally unworkable. See ya,  Sort your own problem out.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

It’s my brand new mule . I try and keep it clean , a bit of an exercise in futility at the moment with all this mud , but if I don’t they cake up around the brakes and it becomes a real pain to get off . 

Yeah I said that when we got 20 plate merlo start of the year....too embarrassed to show you state of it now!! 

• Haha 2
10 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Stopping Charlie snapping heads off goes a long way in Stopping some cruelty 

It’s all to do with this RSPCA “ freedom foods “ racket . Basically they come around and have a look at the set up . They want to see “ enrichments” like things for them to climb on and get under ,and  some old fruit and veg gets thrown in too . They also want to make sure that the very best is done to ensure that predation is kept to an absolute minimum. That’s all fine and dandy in their snowflake world . But we all know it’s not quite as simple as that . Not when you are dealing with a very determined and clever animal like a fox . 
          Nobody is more on board and willing than the farm I look after . But they were just sick to death of seeing their profits eaten away . I probably kill about 40 plus foxes a year on average on that one farm of no more than 60 acres . The same thing goes on with RSPB reserves . They have come to the realisation that if foxes are allowed to go unchecked, then it dramatically impacts on the successful breeding of ground nesting birds . It’s an uncomfortable admission for them and one they don’t shout about but it 100% goes on . We all need to give ourselves a big pat on the shoulder, “ for we are the unsung, heroes of the countryside “ ???  Well done boys keep up the good work.?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

It’s all to do with this RSPCA “ freedom foods “ racket . Basically they come around and have a look at the set up . They want to see “ enrichments” like things for them to climb on and get under ,and  some old fruit and veg gets thrown in too . They also want to make sure that the very best is done to ensure that predation is kept to an absolute minimum. That’s all fine and dandy in their snowflake world . But we all know it’s not quite as simple as that . Not when you are dealing with a very determined and clever animal like a fox . 
          Nobody is more on board and willing than the farm I look after . But they were just sick to death of seeing their profits eaten away . I probably kill about 40 plus foxes a year on average on that one farm of no more than 60 acres . The same thing goes on with RSPB reserves . They have come to the realisation that if foxes are allowed to go unchecked, then it dramatically impacts on the successful breeding of ground nesting birds . It’s an uncomfortable admission for them and one they don’t shout about but it 100% goes on . We all need to give ourselves a big pat on the shoulder, “ for we are the unsung, heroes of the countryside “ ???  Well done boys keep up the good work.?

Years ago, eighties, we used to have about three driven fox shoots held fortnightly over the bird reserves down at Dungeness near the power station.  Sometimes there were about sixty foxes shot per shoot day.  The warden kept records and it was clear that every year the numbers of ground nesting birds increased. Those shoots held over a BIG area of shingle were very odd.  Nothing like a normal Fox drive in farm or woodland.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 2

As known.  On fox drives you have to have the right people in the right places.  The amount of times it's been, bang, bang,  ....  where is it then.? and the bloke says......l "It was hit hard.!!  Or "I saluted it as it went over the horizon" !!!   And the ones where you need to be behind an oak tree and the excitable  gun on the next stand.  And the guns who have to wander off and start talking to the next gun or they start smoking or they just had to have a leak and it was in hand,  inexplicably  Charlie always tends to know and slip through the line at these points.  Still that seems to be pretty normal and the fact that charlie often gets shot in the arse because they aren't  lead by the head. 

Edited by Meece
23 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

The unit I help has spent £1000.000’s on state of the art fencing and still Charlie gets in .

It's all good for you and Charlie's clever but I'm still surprised they haven't managed to stop him with electric fencing. There's obviously some gap in how their fencing it, earth leakage or the energisers aren't strong enough. I'm only protecting a pond but nothing gets past that VOSS energiser I've got set up and that includes me - I'm terrified of it. I have to turn it off to hang the washing out!

Edited by Alsone
  • Haha 1
59 minutes ago, Alsone said:

It's all good for you and Charlie's clever but I'm still surprised they haven't managed to stop him with electric fencing. There's obviously some gap in how their fencing it, earth leakage or the energisers aren't strong enough. I'm only protecting a pond but nothing gets past that VOSS energiser I've got set up and that includes me - I'm terrified of it. I have to turn it off to hang the washing out!

I’ve watched them just walk straight through the strands with not a twitch . The fence itself is a 12 strand that is run off the mains and I can tell you from personal experience that it is a hell of a jolt . I just Mapulatored the run and the other areas to the back of the unit that are in the perimeter, it’s a total of 10 acres inside the wire and a perimeter of 890 meters . There are gateways and hedges and ditches . These are the weak points . I would say it’s difficult but not impossible to keep secure . But it’s not my problem, and the way I see it , if it was secure he’d not need my services any more . 
          On a different note , the farmer actually used to pay a pest controller ( who I know and he’s a dickhead ) until he came out to see how he was doing and he was loading a deer into the back of his pickup . He was given a great big F@ck off tablet. He got hold of me then and I’m a lot cheaper , trays of eggs and a Xmas tree is all it costs him , and his deer are safe .

Am I the only shooter who delights in gaining other shooters permissions after they have transgressed? I think not ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I've watched foxes listening to the wires. They can time the pulses and dart through.

I've seen them climb tall mesh with an electric  wire on top.

Electric fences around ponds usually do work because;

A. Duck taste like poop.

B.Geese are nasty.

D. Copious amounts of water and hi voltage are not enjoyable given an opportunity to combine!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just about to eat my supper and the phone goes , it’s the chicken farmer . “ can you get here “ , “ why , what’s up “? “ I’ve just been to lock the birds up and I’ve seen a pair of eyes in the run “. “ I  will be straight over “ . I told the Mrs to keep the supper warm , I wouldn’t be long , she said something along the lines of , “I’ve heard that one before “. 
        A quick dash around getting the rifle and all my kit and I was in the truck in a couple of minutes. I turned the thermal on as I approached the farm and was scanning as I drove up the track . And sure enough I spotted a fox through the hedge and in the run . I stopped the truck and pulled down the tailgate and stood on it to shoot off the roof , but there was not one fox but two . I shot the nearest and reloaded, I scanned around with the thermal and the other fox had run to the other side of the run , I squeaked with my hand and it stopped, I carried on squeaking and it slowly closed in . When I’d got it to a decent position I dropped that one too . I went to pick them up and found a half eaten chicken next to the first fox , a vixen  . I picked up the second fox and it was a dog  . A quick text to the farmer to tell him job done  ,I was hardly out for 15 minutes , supper still warmish , a quick blast in the microwave . Jobs a good un .?

184C495B-AEEB-4023-A4EB-87D8513EBA6E.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1