Knife sharpening

I use a cheap oil stone to sharpen my knife then finish off with the steel. Ive got 2 or 3 no9 opinels and only have to stone them every couple of months. Once you got a decent edge the steel will keep them decent as long has you don't let them get to blunt.

A steeled edge is the best imo

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a few knifes in the drawer the same as most of us. But use the Opinel Carbon think it a No6 the stainless ones just don't hold the edge, they will rust if you leave them wet mind. I must have l

Same as wilf, it’s handy to have with you, no good popping home for a sharpen halfway through, on the down side they do take off quite a bit of metal and leave a bit of a course edge, if I,m doing it

Right, I've been through the same as you and what you've probably done is use the knife until it's virtually blunt and then tried a stone or whatever for hours on end and got nowhere other than frustr

Posted Images

I have a few knifes in the drawer the same as most of us. But use the Opinel Carbon think it a No6 the stainless ones just don't hold the edge, they will rust if you leave them wet mind. I must have left countless knifes where I gutted rabbits some good old Lambs Foot ones at that. So an Opinel drilled a small hole bit of purse cord and a cheep carabiner clipped to a belt loop above the pocket works for me.

IMG_2533.jpeg.0e27879584dab5a3aa4b4d9e4be3ca26.jpeg

My old man had a broken antique razor blade sharper like this it has a real fine stone and a strop.

Vintage-Rolls-Razor-Blade-Sharpener-Sheffield-full-1A-700-10.10-c96ab7c7-9.png.5bf344e9032f76d069858b7531c177ef.png

As I said it was broken so took the stone out and its spot on for sharpening to a fine edge.

IMG_2534.jpeg.e82829d864427ed2c00b6d75de39adf3.jpeg

Cheers Arry

• Like 3

Right, I've been through the same as you and what you've probably done is use the knife until it's virtually blunt and then tried a stone or whatever for hours on end and got nowhere other than frustrated at your incompetence?

If that is the case you're trying to sharpen the edge when it needs something more substantial to regrind it to a state where you can then use a fine stone to then maintain it. TBH those lansky sets are good for that as they have all the grades of stone and fixed angles so it takes much of the pitfalls out of it. But fundamentally I think your problem is that you need to remove a lot more metal than what a normal fine sharpening stone will in any bearable duration of time. Once you have your grind back you can then maintain a good edge with a regular fine stone by routinely touching it up. I use one of these (with oil) and then finish on a cotton buffing wheel.

I use these knives for everything and I can put half a dozen deer in the larder, including using the knife for all the bone work before I feel it needs a touch up. Tbh at this point the knife is as sharp as what a lot of folks consider 'sharp', lol. But that's the point, if you let it go beyond this it would need more than a touch up. The skandi grind they are manufactured with makes sharpening very easy as you just lay the blade edge flat against the stone and push. I tend to angle it a bit more these days because heavy bone work chips such an acute edge. Bit more angle just makes it more durable. But otherwise fantastic knives, fantastic steel and fantastic price.

Honestly Jiggy, I've been there so I'm not being patronising I hope, just trying to save you the frustration I went through. :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, jigsaw said:

No class with them cheap shitty things don lol... I hate them opinel, I've got lots of decent knives, I just lack the skill to edge em 

near took a finger of with one them shitty opinels my mate handed me it to deal with a buck asked him if it was locked as he handed me it aye he says......folded on me an was near to the bone before i realised shitty things hate them

• Like 1