Recession or not?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I liquidated my business over 5 years back and came out about straight, prior to that I was having to take 17k+ a week to break even, Im now in a recession proof job and Mrs works full time in hospita

I think a lot of people have been fiddling while Rome burned mate and with this second wave coming folks are starting to see this is for the long haul. My old industry is decimated, designers and

That crash of the late 80s / early 90s was brutal, lads were chucking themselves off buildings and all sorts. Bloke I know had 300 people working on Canary Wharf on the Monday and on the Tuesday

From what I’ve seen in the hgv side it has boomed flat out on break downs up and down country every night since lockdown eased and still the same a lot of our customers have seemed to have got rid of dead wood shall we say jobs that didn’t need doing by 20 staff it’s good and bad in a lot of ways 

8 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

The problem with the QS is that they straight out of uni and havent a clue how to do the work and cut the shite out of prices, stillbuilding over for £70 per square foot

Yes, but they have the power now. That's why projects are trying to be done to unachievable programmes with no profit on them (for sub-contractors) and mental health has become a big issue in construction. Go through the spec with a fine tooth comb, get your clarifications correct at tender and be water tight on programme and progress. When the shit inevitably hits the fan through their greed/incompetence hit them back with acceleration costs.

Don't do any large brickwork jobs now,moneys tight on them,especially the timber frame ones,bent under un adapted scaff,clips hitting you on head,then next lift nose bleeding,shit.earn more on local jobs,extensions,etc.

• Like 1

Strange times indeed realising i made a good choice of taking a job in a parcel logistic warehouse as more and more people are ordering on line and same as the old woman who work's in the care sector even though we are both in low paid job's we can relax a bit knowing our job's are a bit more secure than some. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, sid g said:

mate of mines a singer he normally spends the summers in greece and the winter here ,this years done him he could`nt get over to greece  he cant gig here .he does the odd live stream on fb for donations via paypal and he`s took a job van driving to pay his way ...

Yes the entertainment sectors be hard hit.a mate does marquees,normally flat out in summer with weddings,anniversary bashes,charity  events,horse racing,dog shows farmer events the lot.gone dead.

40 minutes ago, sid g said:

my lad and his mrs have done the same they top theres up by buying off car boots and charity shops and sell it on ebay and fb selling pages ..

We are also lucky we both get small monthly pension payments from former employers so are not bad off these days its the younger generation who are going to be the hardest hit .

• Like 1

All I'm reading here is government money this government money that its not theirs its ours all giving themselves pay rises with your money whilst you struggle couldn't make it up really could you just wait whilst they close all your business with even more covid bullshit then claim to help you reopen them but now they the owners so you working for them bring in universal basic income for all then boom new world order now let's come out with something trendy to call it THE GREAT RESET no need for a collie with these sheep they just accept it 

• Like 1