Fishing in miniature

On 30/09/2020 at 19:53, Nicepix said:

There is a small river near here that I call 'Lilliput' after Arthur Ransome's story 'Fishing in Lilliput' that was obviously inspired by Gulliver's Travels.Within a one mile stretch there are some very varies swims and lots of species. I can usually count on six or seven different species in a session.

20200512_122059.jpg.9eeaf7b5706600e6f00bb1d1faae4903.jpg

1568868630_CorotSwim-Copy.jpg.9d737bd773813881fb3b7b142c80420d.jpg

20200512_145030.jpg.e61220687ae8009443184a82d8315564.jpg

20200512_111206.jpg.a6e48919af3b8ab39d6189a477f347a2.jpg

20200512_125816.jpg.f6f7ab0493a9e824bc6013d243fbbb3c.jpg

20200512_132946.jpg.281a38d83fb75c21504bcd7df6c7f454.jpg

20200512_133522.jpg.768d848567187b2c8d422369ce6c043d.jpg

653611496_GlaneView.jpg.203542946bf49fe7fa9813c81440bd87.jpg

1592407876_Glane-RockySwim.jpg.4a0bd26c71aec387e30d402b7cc88722.jpg

936476504_Glane-Tackle.jpg.560e4cdea39b492125ea0584dd56487d.jpg

1482590387_Lilliput-Barbel_edited-1.jpg.e81f5245663eb3f9daf79211349ce2fd.jpg

826721904_PumkinseedCorot.jpg.36b5ea69e2eca121ac074764e0f9323f.jpg

791399600_RuffeCorot.jpg.478dc522715dd448947e711eebfc3595.jpg

Bream Corot.jpg

It's no pressure angling ?

Lovely little stretch of river, not in the UK I assume?

Second from last and third from last images aren't fish I'm familiar with. Second from last is maybe a Ruffe?

Third from last image looks like an escapee from someone's tropical setup.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found a tiny private keep out pond  to try  so with whip in hand 1/4 pint of maggots gave it a bash , love these farm ponds out the way of clubs etc , it must be 25 yrds by 15 surround by trees  wasn’

That looks just like the little farm pit l've been fishing this Summer. 25yards wide,40yards long and about 7 feet deep  in places. Local wisdom has it that the pond was drained and the fish removed m

Had a return visit to the farm pond yesterday put out some mash bread and put some flake on the hook fish touch ledger on the pin  had a bite less couple of hrs , changed tack and went again today thi

Posted Images

Yes, that one is a ruffe and the other is a pumpkinseed fish or perch solei, an American invasive species that is turning up all over the place. I caught some in a customer's lake that is all fenced off and miles from any river.

The river is in France, very near to where I now live.

• Like 3
On 02/10/2020 at 11:30, green lurchers said:

Had a return visit to the farm pond yesterday put out some mash bread and put some flake on the hook fish touch ledger on the pin  had a bite less couple of hrs , changed tack and went again today this time put a chubber float on the rod pin set up , got six nice baits on the whip in know time , lip hooked a roach and let it have a spin about the swim hoping for a decent perch as I dropped a 10 oz perch couple days ago , after 20 mins no joy on went a lip hooked gudgeon.  After a couple of mins in the rain lashing down hard it worked it’s way to a overhang bramble Bush. And away she went  fighting hard on the 3lb line pin set up I was thinking maybe a daddy Sargent of the pond was on after a decent scrap was very surprised  to see a chub surface  not that I was put out  I went for the buggie that snapped my pole set up  thinking chub maybe the culprit and leaves room fir another visit for the daddyo perch ? how chub got into this tiny pond I wouldn’t have a clue miles from any river or lake that contain chub 

7E9044CC-DE99-4498-9550-E23E3CC135A1.jpeg

What a lovely chub to catch from any water ,let alone a farm pond.

Weirdly the pond l've been fishing has produced nothing but rudd and tench for weeks. Yet my early vists produced a few roach and surprisingly ,a dace or possibly a dace hybrid. 

The nearest river is a mile away . A distance easily covered by a little boy on a bicycle ; even with a bucket  of water full of tiddlers swinging from his handlebars.? ?

• Like 1
On 04/10/2020 at 17:23, comanche said:

What a lovely chub to catch from any water ,let alone a farm pond.

Weirdly the pond l've been fishing has produced nothing but rudd and tench for weeks. Yet my early vists produced a few roach and surprisingly ,a dace or possibly a dace hybrid. 

The nearest river is a mile away . A distance easily covered by a little boy on a bicycle ; even with a bucket  of water full of tiddlers swinging from his handlebars.? ?

Could the farm pond have been connected to the river at any point in the past? Around where I used to live there were several small lakes created when the river was straightened during the 1970's.  One was like a serpent in shape, and had a flow of springwater through it but was landlocked from the new river course. That held dace and chub. And a few local farm ponds had been created by damming a stream.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Greyman said:

And for some strange reason it’s always the pike that seem to arrive first, which is strange as a predator should need prey ? 

Yes, it always seems that pike and perch arrive in new lakes almost immediately. Initially they will feed on insect lava and tadpoles but once they get to their third year they will happily eat their young.

21 hours ago, Nicepix said:

Could the farm pond have been connected to the river at any point in the past? Around where I used to live there were several small lakes created when the river was straightened during the 1970's.  One was like a serpent in shape, and had a flow of springwater through it but was landlocked from the new river course. That held dace and chub. And a few local farm ponds had been created by damming a stream.

Not in the case of "my" pond. It is on the top of a hill,probably the highest point in the area. If it wasn't for the South Downs being in the way you could probably see the sea on a clear day.?

19 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Some truth in that joe?

Apparently no one has produced evidence of the fish on birds' legs theory but it seems possible.

Scientists in Spain and Brazil studying the movement of other aquatic species between waters found that fish eggs deliberately fed to ducks could pass through visually undamaged. The number coming out whole was a fraction of a percent though.  

In the interview l heard with one of the scientists he didn't say that any of these eggs had actually hatched. I suspect not because when pushed by the interviewer he merely said it indicated transference of fish "might be a possibility" .  Not a very scientific answer.

Also when asked if he thought human transportation of fish was the prime means of transfer the chap got a bit mealy mouthed and non committal. 

I know of a pond dug over 30 years ago that lies within 1/4 of a mile of three club lakes and two commercial fishing lakes yet still contains no fish.

Pike spawn early,often in flooded ditches and watermeadows while rivers are still at high winter levels . It might explain them turning up in unexpected places. That and the fact that they do get moved out of mischief!  

In the past pike were often stocked in Gentlemens' stew ponds in large numbers as a main crop.  I guess they ate each other and their babies and were probably taken at table size rather than being allowed to reach specimen size.

Perch have notoriously sticky eggs so l reckon would be prime suspects if there is any mileage in the eggs on birds feet theory.

All scientists in need to prove the theory is an empty pond a duck and some eggs ; not exacting requirements . You would've thought someone would've tried it by now.

Then again,little rudd can be caught by the bucket load and carp and tench are easily transported which most likely explains why they turn up in odd ponds so often.  

Edited by comanche
  • Like 4
55 minutes ago, comanche said:

Not in the case of "my" pond. It is on the top of a hill,probably the highest point in the area. If it wasn't for the South Downs being in the way you could probably see the sea on a clear day.?

Like that old song about being able to see Hackney Marshes if it wasn't for the houses in between. ?

There is a small lake that I pass on Mole Patrol that is situated on top of high ground, surrounded by wind mills. It is an abandoned farm lake, the farm buildings having been replaced by others some distance away. It is unusual for two things; firstly it is the only lake in the area that never suffers from droughts despite its altitude. Secondly, it contains black bass, and some large carp. How the bass got in is a mystery.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Great topic! I love small hidden ponds. I recently moved away from semi urban leeds and completely moved areas to be out by the countryside. After a bit of riding my mountain bike exploring I found a unfished pond. After trying to find the owner and asking in the nearest fishing shop its only £17 for the year. Iv been down there a lot and never seen anyone at all. Having a great time there I don't think these fish have ever been caught....

20201025_133454.jpg

20201025_135202.jpg

• Like 2