Fishing in miniature

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found a tiny private keep out pond  to try  so with whip in hand 1/4 pint of maggots gave it a bash , love these farm ponds out the way of clubs etc , it must be 25 yrds by 15 surround by trees  wasn’

That looks just like the little farm pit l've been fishing this Summer. 25yards wide,40yards long and about 7 feet deep  in places. Local wisdom has it that the pond was drained and the fish removed m

Had a return visit to the farm pond yesterday put out some mash bread and put some flake on the hook fish touch ledger on the pin  had a bite less couple of hrs , changed tack and went again today thi

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, tomburras said:

Great topic! I love small hidden ponds. I recently moved away from semi urban leeds and completely moved areas to be out by the countryside. After a bit of riding my mountain bike exploring I found a unfished pond. After trying to find the owner and asking in the nearest fishing shop its only £17 for the year. Iv been down there a lot and never seen anyone at all. Having a great time there I don't think these fish have ever been caught....

20201025_133454.jpg

20201025_135202.jpg

I think it takes us all back to where we started our fishing campaigns  catching tiny fish. Love it 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, green lurchers said:

I think it takes us all back to where we started our fishing campaigns  catching tiny fish. Love it 

Exactly! I bet there's some good fish hiding in there. The pond in the nearby wood is supposed to have some real nice old carp in too both connected to a beck to the river so hopefully some good eels too. 

• Like 1

I havnt really fished a pond for many yrs  so it was a good buzz  I guess i needed to get back to where I started as I been chasing too much silver kings Pelagics  and bonefish for many yrs havnt caught roach perch for over twenty yrs it was refreshing 

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 1
33 minutes ago, green lurchers said:

I havnt really fished a pond for many yrs  so it was a good buzz  I guess i needed to get back to where I started as I been chasing too much silver kings Pelagics  and bonefish for many yrs havnt caught roach perch for over twenty yrs it was refreshing 

Sounds like great fishing you are doing there! Atb. Tom. 

16 minutes ago, tomburras said:

Sounds like great fishing you are doing there! Atb. Tom. 

Had some fun and plenty adventure. Catching a few along the way  but we got our own take and quests  with fishing just needed to get back to the start  il prob give the pond another few goes see if it throws up a nice perch  that would get me  back on track but I don’t tend to stay in one spot for long even if I catch a few I like to keep moving on 

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 1
On 30/09/2020 at 10:16, Mister Gain said:

This topic bought back a few memories from the 70's. I had a mate who lived in the terrace of railway cottages adjacent to Staplehurst station in Kent. He told me about 2 very small ponds nearby, one was about 200 yards from his cottage, and the other about 600 yards. Being close to the railway they were probably bomb craters from WW2, the closer one having abundant weed, and being in the middle of an open field, contained good sized tench to about 4lbs+ along with some smaller rudd. The further pond was mainly surrounded by trees and also contained tench and rudd but to a much smaller size, stunted if you like, a half pounder being a biggie, it had very minimal weed growth as well. Neither was deeper than 3 feet. I fished them both but obviously much preferred the one with the bigger fish, and those fish fought like the clappers in the shallow water. Best bait being flake pulled from the inside of a fresh crusty loaf, and when you got the eruption of bubbles all around your float the anticipation made your heart rate switch up a gear. It was worth the long trip down there by train just for a few hours fishing.

Unfortunately the land got sold off and units built, and you would never know that those little ponds actually existed, now being just treasured memories.

Thats a nice read, I knew a place like that. Have some great memories fishing there. We used to wait quietly for a silt cloud and flick a freelined lobworm into it and wait for the line to go. They where around 4 lbs but we thaught they where huge back then and they fought hard. When we float fished maggot we could catch some nice crucians and stickle backs. We never caught any other species from it tho. I went to look at the place a couple of years ago and its a car park for some fancy newbuilt apartments. Massive shame. the place had great crested newts too.