The Social Dilemma

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is it only me left in the world who just cracks on and couldn't give a f**k?  

Someone smart once said, "the greatest trick they ever played was to convince you that you are powerless to make change". Someone else smart once said "It just IS bro, you just got to get on with

The old men that I trusted said the internet is the Antichrist and will drag us all to hell.The older I get the more I believe them.

Posted Images

Those in power have always used that power to subvert the masses to their own ends, our whole history reflects that, look at the use of religion, politics etc etc and using the technology of the day to promote their propaganda is nothing new, be it newspapers, TV, film or social media. We won't manage it by hiding or ignoring but by education and critical thinking.

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Those in power have always used that power to subvert the masses to their own ends, our whole history reflects that, look at the use of religion, politics etc etc and using the technology of the day to promote their propaganda is nothing new, be it newspapers, TV, film or social media. We won't manage it by hiding or ignoring but by education and critical thinking.

I have to say, great post matey ?

• Like 1

Good for you sandy but I’d rather hide and ignore, the only education people need is to stop being puppets and start thinking for themselves, as a typical example all new iPhones will be fitted with a tracker you as a human being now have a choice do you value your privacy more than your social media 90% of people will take the latter, we are f****d and the only education we will be given is how to grease our arses before being shafted ?

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

I think your location makes it easier to do that mate, living in a big city life is almost unrecognisable from thirty years ago and it’s not somewhere I fancy growing old anymore ??

13 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Not long been diagnosed with mitral stenosis, I need surgery ive just received a letter from the tv licensing company informing me , free tv licences have expired which is what I got last year, I still think im still entitled to a free licence im 76 but the form they have sent me, fek me I don't need it at the mo, they even want photo copies of my pension, pension credits I just cant be bothered ive that much on my mind at the moment , I suppose I will be getting a visit or letters to be honest Newkid I couldn't give a f..k

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Greyman said:

I think your location makes it easier to do that mate, living in a big city life is almost unrecognisable from thirty years ago and it’s not somewhere I fancy growing old anymore ??

Sorry mate, I didnt mean changing your lifestyle...I applaud that..

It just seems that everyone is more concerned with how the government, corporations etc are shafting you.. everything has a new conspiracy attached etc etc...when in reality there is f**k all we can do but crack on and make our own decisions..

As for social media, other than this nuthouse...that's about it for me...dont do face book, instagram, Twitter etc... nothing against those that do, but I do find it ironic that those who shout most about all this shit are constantly on Facebook or wherever moaning about it...

My daughter shows me posts from old mates of mine, and they are talking shit, but seem to believe what they are saying...they never mentioned a lot of it in the football club a few years back?? ?

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, iworkwhippets said:

Not long been diagnosed with mitral stenosis, I need surgery ive just received a letter from the tv licensing company informing me , free tv licences have expired which is what I got last year, I still think im still entitled to a free licence im 76 but the form they have sent me, fek me I don't need it at the mo, they even want photo copies of my pension, pension credits I just cant be bothered ive that much on my mind at the moment , I suppose I will be getting a visit or letters to be honest Newkid I couldn't give a f..k

What can you do though Keith other than keep on keeping on...

f**k em mate, just dont pay it..

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Rusty_terrier said:

Totally understand.  But I think people mean they dont really have a hold on everybody the way they do with social media users like facebook etc. I could say I was logging off here and do without the internet for a good while no problem. Pretty much on here is all I use internet for. Dont have a computer or tablet etc just flick on here in my phone and I know as I'm doing it I'm absolutely wasting my time. Anything said on here has no relevance to my life. 

It's not just social media though mate, its internet activity. Any data they can get they are to build up behavioural information of their users and they use AI to spot trends that we never could, enabling them to understand our psychology and therefore subtly manipulate behaviour. Obviously the more active you are on any digital device the more you are feeding this problem and it's the various SM apps that are the real data gold mines, as you say.

Technology is designed to be addictive and now they have the tools to gather unimaginable amounts of data of how we behave, process that data and sell what they learn to whoever might want to use it.

This concept is new and already massive. It has huge consequences for freedom.

If nothing else we are sleep walking into a society where we are raising kids who can't be socially successful without indulging in this addiction.

We aren't designed for this shit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

It's not just social media though mate, its internet activity. Any data they can get they are to build up behavioural information of their users and they use AI to spot trends that we never could, enabling them to understand our psychology and therefore subtly manipulate behaviour. Obviously the more active you are on any digital device the more you are feeding this problem and it's the various SM apps that are the real data gold mines, as you say.

Technology is designed to be addictive and now they have the tools to gather unimaginable amounts of data of how we behave, process that data and sell what they learn to whoever might want to use it.

This concept is new and already massive. It has huge consequences for freedom.

If nothing else we are sleep walking into a society where we are raising kids who can't be socially successful without indulging in this addiction.

We aren't designed for this shit.

Even your innocent nectar card is collecting data on you ?

• Like 1