Any tilers on here.

Most houses over here are built on a slab, the method looks to be very different from most UK houses lads.

Jethro I’m guessing will be going onto solid concrete.

@jetroI could be wrong mate, so it worth checking, but I think you need a special adhesive if you are tiling over existing tiles.

• Like 1

Used to refurb pubs and if the floor had tiles on it we would just go over the top. As long as what you're going on top of is sound there's no problem. If the door opens into the tiled room you'll have to trim the bottom off of the door, and you may have to add a transition strip. This goes in the door way and covers the 'transition' between your tiles and what ever is the other side of the door. https://www.google.com/search?q=carpet+to+tile+transition+strip&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiS5Mfp_5jrAhVRQMAKHX4KBEAQ_AUoAnoECA0QBA&biw=1280&bih=618&dpr=3

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, WILF said:

Most houses over here are built on a slab, the method looks to be very different from most UK houses lads.

Jethro I’m guessing will be going onto solid concrete.

@jetroI could be wrong mate, so it worth checking, but I think you need a special adhesive if you are tiling over existing tiles.

It's a slab house wilf.

Was looking at them this eveing, and it will be cheaper and easier in the long run to rip them up. Instead of shaving doors to close properly again and other problems.

Atb j 

2 hours ago, Rusty_terrier said:

All mines are onto screwed down ply. All are absolutely fine. Why would it lift never seen anybody say that before ?

I had a new bathroom done there that was wooden floors. Tiler told me to stick down 12mm ply before he started and have it screwed down so it wouldn't budge. This was only 6 month ago

Done my downstairs bathroom and kitchen myself. 12mm ply screwed to f**k onto the floor tiles in top. None have moved in 6 years

The trouble with tiling over ply is after six and a half or seven years tops the ply delaminates and it costs an absolute fortune to put right....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never lay ply or any wood ontop of concrete,moisture trap,and if you use 18mm ply,then adhesive,then tile your going to be up about 30,40mm depending on tile.plying is fine on joists as you have that airgap underneath.ply should only ever sit ontop of insulation,called floating floors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1