Voting shelved on Europe-wide lead shot ban

Basic is so toxic that I  had a dangerous site warning come up. So I returned to safety.  Perhaps it is that "calling for" bollocks.  I keep calling the Mrs to bring the chocolate biscuits and that gets a similar result. 

• Haha 2

The issue here is whether the Government will still implement it anyway. BASC has a lot to do in preventing this.

I'm all for a lead ban as soon as something with lead performance is available at the same price as lead. Until then, lead has to stay, 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Alsone said:

The issue here is whether the Government will still implement it anyway. BASC has a lot to do in preventing this.

I'm all for a lead ban as soon as something with lead performance is available at the same price as lead. Until then, lead has to stay, 

BASC are the ones that are calling for a ban on lead

17 hours ago, paddyluke said:

There's two sides to this, one is a legislative ban and one is an industry ban. It'll still be catastrophic to shooting sports if leads legal but consumers and retailers of game won't accept it without non-toxic alternatives. Given the recent floor smashing drop in game value and simultaneous food industry (consumers & retailers) driven rejection of lead shot this headline is only partly significant imo.

Also, I don't think BASC called for a ban on lead, they called for a voluntary community level shift away from it. A voluntary ban is a contradiction.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Born Hunter said:

There's two sides to this, one is a legislative ban and one is an industry ban. It'll still be catastrophic to shooting sports if leads legal but consumers and retailers of game won't accept it without non-toxic alternatives. Given the recent floor smashing drop in game value and simultaneous food industry (consumers & retailers) driven rejection of lead shot this headline is only partly significant imo.

Also, I don't think BASC called for a ban on lead, they called for a voluntary community level shift away from it. A voluntary ban is a contradiction.

how many shooters/BASC members supply the food industry??,BASC have called for a "voluntary" lead ban due to lead being so toxic and damaging to wildlife,a couple of years ago it was BASC saying the opposite so who is going to fight our corner now??

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, paddyluke said:

how many shooters/BASC members supply the food industry??

I have no idea. But a huge proportion of game that is shot is not consumed by the person who pulled the trigger. Commercial estates represent the bulk of the market and arguably the bulk of our communities political clout. If they don't get their house in order the little man will become collateral.

24 minutes ago, paddyluke said:

BASC have called for a "voluntary" lead ban due to lead being so toxic and damaging to wildlife,a couple of years ago it was BASC saying the opposite so who is going to fight our corner now??

No, they have called for it to be phased out voluntarily. You would still legally be able to use lead........ because it's voluntary. They haven't proposed lobbying for legislative change. So it isn't a ban is it.

I don't really care who fights the corner of lead or if BASC or wankers, I'm simply pointing out obvious fallacies in your OP.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I have no idea. But a huge proportion of game that is shot is not consumed by the person who pulled the trigger. Commercial estates represent the bulk of the market and arguably the bulk of our communities political clout. If they don't get their house in order the little man will become collateral.

it's the little man who pays the majority of the BASC fees and most of these don't sell their game

No, they have called for it to be phased out voluntarily. You would still legally be able to use lead........ because it's voluntary. They haven't proposed lobbying for legislative change. So it isn't a ban is it.

BASC called it a "VOLUNTARY BAN" and they want it banned within 5 years

https://basc.org.uk/lead/

I don't really care who fights the corner of lead or if BASC or wankers, I'm simply pointing out obvious fallacies in your OP.

have i upset a BASC supporter??

the only reason lead was not banned years ago was because BASC was fighting against it ,now BASC have done a complete turn around and are now agreeing with all the anti lead brigade,

is there any difference between lead shot used in 2015 to what we are using today?

https://www.politics.co.uk/opinion-formers/british-association-for-shooting-and-conservation-basc/article/ban-on-lead-ammunition-ruled-out-basc-statement

• Like 1
1 minute ago, paddyluke said:

the only reason lead was not banned years ago was because BASC was fighting against it ,now BASC have done a complete turn around and are now agreeing with all the anti lead brigade,

is there any difference between lead shot used in 2015 to what we are using today?

https://www.politics.co.uk/opinion-formers/british-association-for-shooting-and-conservation-basc/article/ban-on-lead-ammunition-ruled-out-basc-statement

I don't care to argue the rights and wrongs of lead.

My only points were correcting you on the statement about a BASC "ban" and pointing out that the actual European ban is only part of the story behind BASCs decision to support a community level transition to non toxic. In fact, no where in the BASC statement did they mention the actual proposed European ban but they do mention market pressure a few times.

https://www.gunsonpegs.com/articles/cartridges/lead-shot-read-the-joint-statement-in-full

• Like 1

I will continue to use lead as i don't supply game to dealers just people i know.

However i heard yesterday that they are now looking at banning shooters from giving away a brace of pheasants unless you have some sort of certificate.

53 minutes ago, ianm said:

I will continue to use lead as i don't supply game to dealers just people i know.

However i heard yesterday that they are now looking at banning shooters from giving away a brace of pheasants unless you have some sort of certificate.

Worlds gone crazy , I heard that too.

2 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Don't worry lads I'll still use it anyway. 

As for commercial shoots my old mate always said " it's not sustainable, or ethically justifiable."

I have to agree.

I also agree , the big commercial shoots are not ethically justifiable.  I don't think most people mind the smaller shoots shooting small bags but the large shoots shooting 500 birds + by a team of portly rich businessmen in their Range Rovers doesnt sit comfortably with mr average. Once grouse shooting has gone these shoots will be next ....

• Like 1