Anyone in Somerset? Can you bush with one dog?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No. Never done if or even seen it before. I own the sire and dam and both do what i want so seemed reasonable to try. I do a lot of thick bramble clumps with not much space between so im looking for t

Posted Images

4 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

I don’t think anyone has asked what kind of cover and quarry you are working / want to work? 

Its a mixture really, I'm on the Somerset levels so its a lot of open fields and hedgerows a few bits of woodland dotted around on the sloping headlands. That black dog with the white chest is lovely looks proper keen, what breeding is it?

6 minutes ago, ellir0305 said:

Its a mixture really, I'm on the Somerset levels so its a lot of open fields and hedgerows a few bits of woodland dotted around on the sloping headlands. That black dog with the white chest is lovely looks proper keen, what breeding is it?

Your better heading toward the quantocks direction unless your on permission down there, more cover, more game and less chance of being spotted, the levels were a great place when you could still course a hare, but always a b*****d to find somewhere to hide the van ???

1 hour ago, ellir0305 said:

I know the levels well mate and have hunted there quite a bit a few moons ago. What I was getting at asking about what kind of ground - is if you were hunting thick old black thorn hedges and tight bramble you may get a different answer than if you were hunting woodland, scrub or more open hedges. I currently keep the x bred young dog above and a patterdale terrier got the bushing job, but in the past I’ve kept spaniels, spaniel Xs and hound types.

The black and white dog is one of my collies, and she’s a handy bushing, mooching and beating dog to. Will work cover and catch, but hates guns! 

• Like 2

Be careful which order you introduce them. I had a half bred kelpie/collie x greyhound who was an only dog so did his own bushing and catching. When I introduced a pure kelpie to do the bushing he quickly cottoned on to the fact that the lurcher was pushing out rabbits so he stayed outside and let him do the work. Funny thing was, every time I took him out on his tod he bushed but whenever the lurcher was there he'd stand back. Clever sod!

For the most part the hedges are more open, lots of thorn but been flail cut for so long the bottoms aren't that dense. Obviously there is a mix of everything but most ground is that way walking distance from the back door which is where the daily work will be.

If your going to bush with one dog. I would be after some thing biddable you can control. Then you can use stop nets, the gun or maybe get into ferreting.  Bushing with one dog  is great fun. Mine is not a busher but gundog/busher is my next dog30112765458_68d3878a45_o.jpg.114fcc58d973d3392b095a1ea63b689a.jpg

29936984768_23967afef0_o.jpg.0e689190062cf1b648ba3bf2de4fc19f.jpg

35835832376_62393e08c8_o.jpg.b4e11af94c2ad913ee8998307683b64e.jpg

Edited by terryd
  • Like 2