Anyone in Somerset? Can you bush with one dog?

Is there anyone in Somerset area that could show me the ropes? Me and the wife are finally in a position to get a dog, I'm not shooting enough to warrant an all out gundog so I figured something for a bit of bushing and occasional rough shooting might be a good option. Looking through it seems most are running multiple dogs and flushing to lurchers, is it worth doing with a single dog and if so what would you recommend?

Thanks for reading.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No. Never done if or even seen it before. I own the sire and dam and both do what i want so seemed reasonable to try. I do a lot of thick bramble clumps with not much space between so im looking for t

Posted Images

4 hours ago, ellir0305 said:

Is there anyone in Somerset area that could show me the ropes? Me and the wife are finally in a position to get a dog, I'm not shooting enough to warrant an all out gundog so I figured something for a bit of bushing and occasional rough shooting might be a good option. Looking through it seems most are running multiple dogs and flushing to lurchers, is it worth doing with a single dog and if so what would you recommend?

Thanks for reading.

It’s absolutely fecking soul destroying with a single dog. 

• Haha 3
5 hours ago, ellir0305 said:

Thanks for reading.

Tbh you won’t catch a lot using just one dog, but as Neal says one catch bushing is worth more than 10 lamping or ferreting. It’s definitely quality over quantity when bushing. 

Edited to add that it’s just great to be out and about in the Countryside and if you go home with something it’s a bonus. 

Edited by Allan P
  • Like 4
11 minutes ago, Allan P said:

Tbh you won’t catch a lot using just one dog, but as Neal says one catch bushing is worth more than 10 lamping or ferreting. It’s definitely quality over quantity when bushing. 

Thanks Allan, no illusions about keeping the freezer full. Are their any particular breeds that would work well in this situation? Personally i'd love a beddy whippet but the wife likes slightly chunkier dogs although I might get a bull x past her.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, ellir0305 said:

Thanks Allan, no illusions about keeping the freezer full. Are their any particular breeds that would work well in this situation? Personally i'd love a beddy whippet but the wife likes slightly chunkier dogs although I might get a bull x past her.

If working only one dog for bushing rabbits I would go for a well bred Beddie whippet or something similar. Something that can work cover but has a bit of pace also, but that’s only my opinion. I am sure other people will have different ideas. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, ellir0305 said:

Don’t get a bull x

• Like 1

If you want to rough shoot then you want a bushing dog more than a running dog. If you want it to catch outside of cover then something with a bit of whippet might be needed.  I bush to 2 Lurchers with a single busher (Spaniel x terrier). We catch a few rabbits. If I was to shoot using just the busher we would have a decent bag most outings. I also bush with a couple of my mates beddy whippets and if I was looking to just own a single dog for what you want then this is definitely the way I would go. Got to get the right one though as not all beddy whippets will go into cover. Another option would be terrier x whippet, something along them lines. 

• Like 4

Thanks for all the advice guys, she seems most sold on cocker types at the moment, i'd like something with a bit more speed but like I said she doesn't go much on the slightly built lurchers which is a shame. Be good to get out with someone and see how its done. Got a bit of thinking time I need to get the kennel built yet.