Up at t farm

On 27/06/2020 at 17:22, Stavross said:

I was bothered about meat damage with the ballistic tip, them sako 70’s just make a mess, if I’d of head shot it my mate would of never spoken to me again and a neck shot didn’t seem right, I like the idea of going there looking for it with the proper gear for the job

I very nearly always neck shoot them. They drop on the spot, so none of that trawling about looking for something that has been heart/lung shot.

Also like you i don't care one bit for trophies, so if the only shot available was a head shot then old ronnie roe would of had a rearranged swede. 

• Like 1

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes it’s just nice to get out and watch the world go by, I’m just sat on the bails now watching the sun set, I’ll give it another half hour, if I see a fox I’ll have a go but it’s just nice to b

I decided while the weather was good I’d have a walk around the sheep farm, when I got here the farmer was separating the lambs from the ewes in one field so I thought I’d give him a hand, these are t

I could of taken a neck shot the other night, but for the few deer I shoot it just didn’t seem the right shot for me, like you say I can wait for another opportunity when the shot is one I’m comfortab

Posted Images

4 hours ago, ianm said:

I very nearly always neck shoot them. They drop on the spot, so none of that trawling about looking for something that has been heart/lung shot.

Also like you i don't care one bit for trophies, so if the only shot available was a head shot then old ronnie roe would of had a rearranged swede. 

Just out of interest Ian, would you neck shoot it face on, I’ve just had this discussion with little Hugo’s dad and he said he would where as I said I wouldn’t take a shot at a deer that was facing me, then again I don’t shoot many deer

8 hours ago, Stavross said:

Just out of interest Ian, would you neck shoot it face on, I’ve just had this discussion with little Hugo’s dad and he said he would where as I said I wouldn’t take a shot at a deer that was facing me, then again I don’t shoot many deer

I tend to shoot them side on but if the only shot is face on then i will take it.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Stavross said:

The only person that can answer that question is the man behind the rifle when the shot presents itself. Obviously side on is preferable but if you decide to take the shot shooting just below the chin drops it instantly as does straight between the eyes . I have done both these shots with success but be aware that if you happen to shoot the deer in the nose you may well have an injured deer to follow up , again I have seen this happen. You must decide do you need to shoot the deer or can you wait for another opportunity?

• Like 5
3 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

The only person that can answer that question is the man behind the rifle when the shot presents itself. Obviously side on is preferable but if you decide to take the shot shooting just below the chin drops it instantly as does straight between the eyes . I have done both these shots with success but be aware that if you happen to shoot the deer in the nose you may well have an injured deer to follow up , again I have seen this happen. You must decide do you need to shoot the deer or can you wait for another opportunity?

I could of taken a neck shot the other night, but for the few deer I shoot it just didn’t seem the right shot for me, like you say I can wait for another opportunity when the shot is one I’m comfortable with 

• Like 8
3 hours ago, Stavross said:

I could of taken a neck shot the other night, but for the few deer I shoot it just didn’t seem the right shot for me, like you say I can wait for another opportunity when the shot is one I’m comfortable with 

Yep learnt that lesson a long time ago , only shoot if comfortable with the shot. Give me a shout during the rut and I will come with the Buttolo and see if I can call you one in , now that's exciting ?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Yep learnt that lesson a long time ago , only shoot if comfortable with the shot. Give me a shout during the rut and I will come with the Buttolo and see if I can call you one in , now that's exciting ?

That’s something I’ve never done, I’ve never really been into deer stalking I’ve always been more of an opportunist, maybe it’s time to learn a new skill ?

1 hour ago, Stavross said:

That’s something I’ve never done, I’ve never really been into deer stalking I’ve always been more of an opportunist, maybe it’s time to learn a new skill ?

We can give it a try , you know how exciting calling foxes  is well imagine a roe buck running in , gets the heart pumping.?

• Like 2
On 13/07/2020 at 19:52, David.evans said:

There always there for  another day , if your not 100% happy with the shot 

atb 

I agree. My mate once wanted me to take a shot at a fox hidden by wheat in a field. We saw him go in, we could see where he was - little bit of red through the slightest gap - talking inches, but it was impossible to see anything to confirm his orientation or where his body parts were positioned which meant I would be shooting blind at a known spot of wheat without being able to see the target. I refused and let the fox trot off through the wheat. I thought I knew where the head was but I was never ging to risk a shot without a clear line of sight to the head / body itself as without it was just guess work and the risk of wounding was high. He thought I should have taken it. I knew I was right to refuse. Like you say always another day.

• Like 1

Another trip to the sheep farm, done the usual route around the back of the farm, nothing, no deer, no foxes just one measly rabbit that Hugo’s dad put to sleep with the .17, so now we are trying our luck in the two front fields that were cut a couple of days ago, as usual the farmer forgot to mention this

421AC68F-8757-4943-8CD8-C0F665F3968A.jpeg

28489D3C-3D72-4B06-B005-D35477FA86BE.jpeg

• Like 1

Well, absolutely sod all ☹️ seen one fox on the way back to the car but it was on next doors land and it was heading away from us, not a bit interested in the mouth call, we did manage 4 more rabbits of the cut grass and now the barley is coming down we’ll have a bit more to go at

617E8DF4-3179-4A03-8BA4-38285211EF3B.jpeg

F309A4EB-43F3-4152-81EE-9A927A855F28.jpeg

• Like 1
On 13/07/2020 at 22:51, FOXHUNTER said:

We can give it a try , you know how exciting calling foxes  is well imagine a roe buck running in , gets the heart pumping.?

To be quite honest deer do nothing for me at all. I wouldn't dream of going stalking, although there are plenty of deer on land i shoot on. I usually shoot them whilst out foxing if my or the families freezer is getting low. I put the 30/06 in the truck and go foxing a bit earlier if i see one i want to shoot i do so. I sometimes use a buttolo to call them in but i must admit i don't get any excitement out of it at all, in fact i regard it as a chore, just a means to put meat in the freezers. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ianm said:

To be quite honest deer do nothing for me at all. I wouldn't dream of going stalking, although there are plenty of deer on land i shoot on. I usually shoot them whilst out foxing if my or the families freezer is getting low. I put the 30/06 in the truck and go foxing a bit earlier if i see one i want to shoot i do so. I sometimes use a buttolo to call them in but i must admit i don't get any excitement out of it at all, in fact i regard it as a chore, just a means to put meat in the freezers. 

I appreciate each to their own , foxing is top of my list but still enjoy stalking. There are very few foxes on my grounds at the minute could do with some more. What species of deer do you have as we only have roe here unfortunately?