Fighting dogs of great Britain an ireland

On 31/07/2020 at 15:04, Greb147 said:

I'll speak to Peds online and make sure they square it with you first next time. ?

If Peds Online is where you are getting your legitimate authentic statistics then we,ll leave it at that....its all making sense now ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Greg ,a boring old man story to illustrate my point .....many years ago I was having a natter with an old boy in the pub ,Henry Cooper s name came up ,and the fella mentioned he had sparred with him ,

Gotta laugh at people arguing about stuff because of what they've read somewhere when chances are theyve probably never even laod hands on a proper bulldog.

I was never really a fan of Staffords but they was a lovely little dog to shape up compared to bulldogs.....they always had that scatty over enthusiastic way about them whereas the bulldogs could be s

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Your banters about as good as your authentic stats.....bored out my skull now you win ? 

Game, set and match right there. ?

Shurrup about it nar then. 

Edited by Greb147

Irish Dogs

A brief on the Irish dogs. The super game "Old Family" Irish dogs was a family of pit dogs in Ireland bred and fought chiefly in the counties of Cork and Kerry that were known as the "Old Family." Now, as we all know today, and one can remain in denial, but, pedigree recipes have always been kept secret. Purity of the strains was emphasized to the extent that breeders hardly recognized another strain as being the same breed. For that reason, all the strains were closely inbred. And so whenever you have a closed genetic pool of that type of dog, you were likely to have a decrease towards the recessive traits, because once the dominant traits are removed, it is never recaptured. Since red is recessive to all colors but white, the "Old Family" eventually became the "Old Family Reds." When the dogs began coming to the United States many were already beginning to show the red nose. 

The "Old Family" dogs found their way to America mainly by way of the Irish immigrants. Jim Corcoran, an Irish Dog man, migrated to Boston, and eventually sent for some of his game dogs. And Jim Corcoran wasn't the only one, Bill Shipley, O'Connelly, Con Feeley, Dougherty, John Noonan, The Farmers, John P. Colby, and a list of other Dog men of Irish origin or earlier Irish Americans already well settled in the US. Many other Irish immigrants also sent back to their families to request for dogs, and the "Old Family" and related strains became firmly established in the United States. Not all fanciers of the Irish dogs were from Ireland, but, they understood the value of their fighting prowess. The Semmes dogs were a combination of Irish and English dogs, as well as the Colby dogs of the old days. Eventually, the dogs in the United States were merged here and there. While there were dogs that continued to strictly remain Irish and was a much guarded blood altogether. And the Irish dogs without a doubt were a main stay in the square. The Farmer brothers always bought an extremely game dog usually of Irish origin. From cotton mouth dogs and dogs with devastating mouth, the Farmers came to fight. Dog man Ed Donovan was another known Irish policeman that always came to the box with a screaming dog, usually of white and brown patches or some odd mixture of colorations. Regardless their color, they were definitely "Fighting Irish".

The terminology of "family dogs" has to understood was used in two important ways. It could mean a strain of dogs that was a family unto itself that was kept by a number of unrelated people in Ireland. And it could also refer to a strain of dogs that was kept and preserved through the years by a family group. The old Family Reds seem to be of the first category, a strain of dogs that later  became a family unto itself and unbelievably game. And the term "Old Family" was generally used for the old time black nose dogs as well. If we all remember correctly, William Lightner had two particular types of dogs, the dark colored and red/red nose dogs in his possession that were both of the Irish dogs. And they were some game son of a guns.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...
On 18/06/2020 at 18:13, Rickshaw swami said:

?

I didn't have internet access back then but did log on with a buddies account at his house once or twice 

Colby throws cold dogs which makes them better hogdogs and would recommend for hunting type crosses.

In my opinion SIXBITS stuff wasn't nothing special either.

An old man I knew who is dead and gone called up the "Cajun" 30 years ago and said Mr F mine will go back but can't do much.The Cajun said partner I had some of them too I gave em to Mr Elliot.

I had a friend who lived closed to kershner who said they were real.

By the way I believe Mr Don was right about certain things.

Every person in 3 generation ped is a peddler.Sorry if this offends.

The first time I met Fat Bill was at a dog show.He came waltzing in to sell his books wearing sweatpants a dirty t shirt HOUSE SLIPPERS and he scooted his feet to keep them on as he had walked the backs off them.I had a hangover from moonshine the night before and had no patience for that white trash wigger.

He is the one who told me It's not important how they are bred it's who bred them and why. I followed his own advice and made sure I never seen him again.

The real ones here were kept by no name men but these families generally didn't pass on and died with owner although generally someone else would have been working crosses..I through coincidence became friends with one of these no name old timers.Over night all the big name peddlers started calling me begging for peds and wanted to gift me pups simply because I befriended a no name old man? Sometimes these no name men would be forced to sell one to feed the others.They would sell it to a big name for big money without a ped and they vanished in time.Seen whole litter go to a famous peddler when I was a teenager.I had to transport the stinking little b*****ds on a 2 day drive.

Nowdays real bulldogs would be found in Mexico or Eastern Europe.

The further removed from peddlers the better in my opinion no matter the work any dog does.

Sorry for long post 

Okay I really did try my hardest to just keep my mouth shut but after reading about the las 3 dozen of your posts with each of them being straight bullshit i couldn’t bite my tongue any more. Stick to hog hunting as you seem actually good at that. Every one of your posts on the APBT have been about as close as can get to being copied word for word out of the books on the breed. You just said six bits dogs were no good and I can name atleast 2 dozen that were 2xw or better into top competition. Also not who you are calling the top three kennels of the 80’s and 90’s but considering that two of the top guys during those years were good friends of mine and they damn sure didn’t get a dog from a stupid rodeo clown. Back to JD Elliot real quick the guys who were serious in the dogs and ran Eli dogs will all tell you that JD was the one to go to and also Clemmons they would go those two before Floyd that’s a fact from the 80’s all the up to the mid 90’s. As for the rest of your posts simply just regurgitating why you were told or read in book. Lol you have posted at least three of some the most popular generalizations of both bloodline and dog men that have been repeated over and over throughout the years to the point people who don’t no any better think there true. Not sure why you felt the need to make it seem as if you were in thick of things when being yourself the best way

?

I didn't have internet access back then but did log on with a buddies account at his house once or twice 

Colby throws cold dogs which makes them better hogdogs and would recommend for hunting type crosses.

An old man I knew who is dead and gone called up the "Cajun" 30 years ago and said Mr F mine will go back but can't do much.The Cajun said partner I had some of them too I gave em to Mr Elliot.

The first time I met Fat Bill was at a dog show.He came waltzing in to sell his books wearing sweatpants a dirty t shirt HOUSE SLIPPERS and he scooted his feet to keep them on as he had walked the backs off them.I had a hangover from moonshine the night before and had no patience for that white trash wigger.

He is the one who told me It's not important how they are bred it's who bred them and why. I followed his own advice and made sure I never seen him again.

The real ones here were kept by no name men but these families generally didn't pass on and died with owner although generally someone else would have been working crosses..I through coincidence became friends with one of these no name old timers.Over night all the big name peddlers started calling me begging for peds and wanted to gift me pups simply because I befriended a no name old man? Sometimes these no name men would be forced to sell one to feed the others.They would sell it to a big name for big money without a ped and they vanished in time.Seen whole litter go to a famous peddler when I was a teenager.I had to transport the stinking little b*****ds on a 2 day drive.

The further removed from peddlers the better in my opinion no matter the work any dog does.

Sorry for long post 

You talk way to much crap for someone that has clearly not done a damn thing with these dogs. Are you even serious right now lmao buddy fat bull was one of not the best conditioners to ever step over the plywood. You really should learn to have just a little respect jist a little. He went into and beat the very best there was from  the early 80’s when he first got started right up until 2000. Bolero 4xw is one of the top 10 best bitches to ever look through a collar and said by all those who saw her to be an absolute Ace and she was just one of the many great dogs Bull bred himself and matched himself doing it all from breeding, raising, conditioning, and handling his line of dogs which is still strong today. And Norman Hooten who not one bad word has ever been said about him and is a true bulldog man through and through and all would agree. The line of dogs he was running the last about 6-7 years before he passed was guess what Bills line of dogs down from Miss Bolero and her son pistol. So you might want to actually have a clue what your talking about before you just start to spout a bunch a crap

?

Sorry for long post 

One more thing I thought I had seen it all but you have to be the person whose the most full of complete crap I have ever met in these dogs. What a load of shit. Did you really just say the the best were not known and didn’t sell dogs lmmfao your either straight up lying for who knows what reason or you the most naive and gullible person alive and bought into to all the crap about real dog men don’t sell dogs. Seek as that has never been the case. Maurice Carve is beside Floyd the has bred more winners and top producers and to anyone who has actually been in the square wolf say is the best breeder there has been. Now obviously there were the guys who usually kept everything selling very few but even they sold dogs. You want to know why those so called to dog men you knew didn’t ever sell dogs and were according to you only know to those whe were true dog men the reason for that is because they never done a damn thing worth knowing about and ain’t no one ever wanted one of there dogs 

On 18/06/2020 at 18:53, Greb147 said:

I think that's a bit OTT tbh, many of great dog men have plastered pedigrees all over the web and such. 

What about all the Bulldog magazines over the years and books? 

I get your point though, all publicity is bad publicity regarding these dogs and it has done more harm to the breed than good. 

I've only heard good things about Benedict though, he's had good dogs over the years. 

I just think it's very bold of someone from the UK to claim Colby dogs can't be game because he hasn't seen any himself. 

Don’t listen to a thing this dude say he’s full of shit simple pretending to have been someone who was right in the middle of the action except all the crap he’s been saying is straight out a few Stratton books pay no mind 

On 09/07/2020 at 22:53, Rickshaw swami said:

I think your wrong about the last part.The top breeders bred what they were using.

Perhaps you meant top peddlers.

I had sons of Colby's Sam and grandsons.Good hogdogs nothing more.My buddy (atthetime)used them in hogdog catch competition when legal.I never spent a dime with Colby.I had a local friend .He bought them up and later gifted me most of them.Good hogdogs nothing else.You can find adult cold colby dogs for hog hunting usually for free from a greenhorn.I always considered it foolish to purchase a pup on bulldogs..The answers to the good ones are in the reports Mr Gnasher spoke of.Those are the real ones 

You ain't a real dogman in this race until you have stepped over the wall with the house mortgage payment on the line and just enough gas to get home.

The more you post the more you show how little you actually know. There were plenty of top breeders who have bred to a dogs that didn’t do nothing but be bred right. Obviously they didn’t do this generation after generation but they did do it and definitely weren’t peddlers more the like the most active and competitive dog men there were and I gues it would come as a surprise to you the most guys bred there females and and the never had a tooth in them throughout their whole lives. You really need to stop believing everything you read in a book or were told by these So called no name great dog men you speak of

3 minutes ago, baker boy said:

??

Believe me I’m aint saying that I know all there is to know when it comes to these dogs but I do know a bit and i didn’t learn what I know from reading books which for the most part were written by a dog fan not a dog man. There were a couple that were written by guys who actually put in the miles and were the real deal but only a couple. I love to read about the history of these dogs just like everyone there ain’t nothing wrong with that. I don’t know how it is with other working dog breeds but a lot of stuff has been said over the years about certain dogs, people, bloodlines,etc that just plain not true at all and if a person didn’t know which guys were really at the heart of it during a certain era and didn’t understand how things really were they weren’t going to be able to what information to pay attention to and what information wasn’t worth even paying attention. I’m not trying to be an ass to the guy but it’s blatantly obvious he doesn’t really have a clue. Now It’s not like I’m the best there ever was and anything I say is absolute and can not be disputed because of course it can. But like I said once you get a little experience and start to use a little common sense you can start to sift through the bull s**t

On 07/07/2020 at 16:35, Boss-Hog said:

like 99% OF PEDIGREES OPEN TO PUBLIC ARE BULLSHIT ,THE CAPTAIN WROTE AN ARTICLE  and he was well respected about all the big names and their bullshitt

Oh well since the Captain wrote it must be 100% true. How dare anyone question the captain. That guy told just as much crap as everyone else. And that article was like most articles a whole bunch of speculation with a sprinkle of wishful thinking with not a whole lot of facts to back it up. The amount of things that been said on here that are the same rumors that  guys have been repeating for the past 60 years and are just as much one persons opinion today as they were back then. If the stuff said wasn’t so misleading and filled with half truth it would seriously be comical 

4 minutes ago, baker boy said:

You missed it 100% didnt you..??

Not at all I knew you were talking s**t   I just didn’t care. Could you please though who are you again. You can believe whatever you want because when the dogs were being done at the highest level i was right there with some of the best dog men there were and those same guys will tell you exactly that. It ain’t hard to find most of them are still around. I got. Nothing to hide 

16 minutes ago, baker boy said:

And if you truly want to and can get you hands on some of the sporting dog journals from the mid 90’s and read the show news you can see for yourself a couple of dogs I had the privilege of owning and did the work myself. But I get the feeling you wouldn’t no much about that

38 minutes ago, baker boy said:

Funny. You had so much to say before. But   As soon as I gave you a way to see for yourself if I ever stepped over wall to set one down you certainly have gotten reeeeeel quiet. Lmao