Fighting dogs of great Britain an ireland

58 minutes ago, Boss-Hog said:

lol not a ped buff by any standards just what was read in a dog magazine ,u crack [BANNED TEXT] ye colby dogs sure u get the recognition ye after good luck 

Gotta laugh at people arguing about stuff because of what they've read somewhere when chances are theyve probably never even laod hands on a proper bulldog.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Greg ,a boring old man story to illustrate my point .....many years ago I was having a natter with an old boy in the pub ,Henry Cooper s name came up ,and the fella mentioned he had sparred with him ,

Gotta laugh at people arguing about stuff because of what they've read somewhere when chances are theyve probably never even laod hands on a proper bulldog.

I was never really a fan of Staffords but they was a lovely little dog to shape up compared to bulldogs.....they always had that scatty over enthusiastic way about them whereas the bulldogs could be s

Posted Images

9 hours ago, downsouth said:

Isn't that what everybody is like. ?

Edited by Greb147
On 07/07/2020 at 11:58, gnasher16 said:

?.....I blame the Stratton books for this fascination todays youngsters have with Colby dogs....for many of them its the nearest they have been to a gamedog so latch onto the names and lines they read.....ive got 30 odd journals here through the 80,s and 90,s and flicking through can barely find more than 1 or 2 odd references to Colby dogs in either show reports or adverts......to think they have mysteriously suddenly come good is naive at best.

I read strattons books as a kid and would recommend them but you must realize Stratton is a writer.not taken seriously by the real dogmen.It would be like y'all Brits ringing up Sean frain and asking him how to breed and dig terriers.

I never met Stratton but B Sorrells bred to my friends redboy dog.Stratton begged for a pup.He was gifted one and sent it back  said it was crazy ? Redboy dogs ain't made for living in the house ?

• Like 2

Most of the good old men here are dead and gone.One of these old timers from my area passed away a month or so ago.Coincidentally this same old man gave me my first GOOD black terrier even though he only met me a few times.

Thanks Thomas Smith for helping a redneck kid like me.I won't forget it.Rest in Peace 

Few he owned or bred 

Screenshot_20200629-180120.png.35391a7702a81cbd0b6595e96e67a858.png

Screenshot_20200629-180335.png.bbc79cf15eb65a433242fea186077ae8.png

Screenshot_20200629-180445.png.1833ce23f5de611157291d27ad3a5de1.png

Edited by Rickshaw swami
Don't believe the peds?
  • Like 5
19 hours ago, Rickshaw swami said:

I read strattons books as a kid and would recommend them but you must realize Stratton is a writer.not taken seriously by the real dogmen.It would be like y'all Brits ringing up Sean frain and asking him how to breed and dig terriers.

I never met Stratton but B Sorrells bred to my friends redboy dog.Stratton begged for a pup.He was gifted one and sent it back  said it was crazy ? Redboy dogs ain't made for living in the house ?

Stratton was never a dog man just a massive fancier and historian on the breed, he never matched a dog in his life but neither did some of the top breeders of the breed. 

Edited by Greb147
On 07/07/2020 at 18:45, Greb147 said:

You don't grasp what I'm saying. 

I know full well that those dogs have been doing the business for years. 

My point is you dismiss Colby dogs but fail to acknowledge that Red Boy was part Colby, unless of course you're trying to claim that his pedigree was fake? 

I do grasp what you are saying there was decent Colby dogs many years ago but you are trying to claim there still is !!

Your whole point in the beginning was that you believe there are plenty of game Colby dogs out there and yes i dismiss them for the simple reasoning that there are literally no dogs of Colby breeding used in the ultimate proving ground of gameness for the last 30 years.....when it comes to men putting their money on the trust of a dogs breeding nobody trusts Colby dogs its that simple.

36 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

I do grasp what you are saying there was decent Colby dogs many years ago but you are trying to claim there still is !!

Your whole point in the beginning was that you believe there are plenty of game Colby dogs out there and yes i dismiss them for the simple reasoning that there are literally no dogs of Colby breeding used in the ultimate proving ground of gameness for the last 30 years.....when it comes to men putting their money on the trust of a dogs breeding nobody trusts Colby dogs its that simple.

I'm claiming that folk state that they own game dogs of colby breeding. 

They admit as much that they couldn't cut it in the fastlane but still vow that they make a good outcross. 

As for you asking of just one dog down from Colby in the last 30 years, here's one. 

Now if they are legitimate match records of this dog and it's offspring I don't know but I haven't heard of anyone say they are false. 

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/modules.php?name=Public&file=printPedigree&dog_id=16996

Edited by Greb147

I thought it was common knowledge that Colby dogs are now more of a “ owning a piece of history “ type dog than a dog tha5 would actually be used to look across the line , Thought most people owning Colby dog are fanciers than workers , 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Elchapo said:

I thought it was common knowledge that Colby dogs are now more of a “ owning a piece of history “ type dog than a dog tha5 would actually be used to look across the line , Thought most people owning Colby dog are fanciers than workers , 

That's the theory, supposedly no real ability to compete in the game. 

2 hours ago, Greb147 said:

I'm claiming that folk state that they own game dogs of colby breeding. 

They admit as much that they couldn't cut it in the fastlane but still vow that they make a good outcross. 

As for you asking of just one dog down from Colby in the last 30 years, here's one. 

Now if they are legitimate match records of this dog and it's offspring I don't know but I haven't heard of anyone say they are false. 

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/modules.php?name=Public&file=printPedigree&dog_id=16996

A 30 year old pedigree on Feds Online....thats your proof ?

Even if thats a genuine ped which i highly doubt who did it beat....opponents ? times ? weights ? referees ?

The reason matches had to be reported to magazines within the fraternity with details was to stop lads like you being told silly stories years later and believing them ?

If " folks state that they own game dogs of Colby breeding " as you say........and you believe them then no problem :thumbs:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Elchapo said:

Exactly....Rod Kershner became the same within the Tudor/Mayfield line and was despised for it although he did make the odd claim to actually work dogs....saying that they were very well bred family dogs and not just names on paper with no actual objective or resemblance to the heritage they were from like the Colby dogs were.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Greb147 said:

Stratton was never a dog man just a massive fancier and historian on the breed, he never matched a dog in his life but neither did some of the top breeders of the breed. 

I think your wrong about the last part.The top breeders bred what they were using.

Perhaps you meant top peddlers.

I had sons of Colby's Sam and grandsons.Good hogdogs nothing more.My buddy (atthetime)used them in hogdog catch competition when legal.I never spent a dime with Colby.I had a local friend .He bought them up and later gifted me most of them.Good hogdogs nothing else.You can find adult cold colby dogs for hog hunting usually for free from a greenhorn.I always considered it foolish to purchase a pup on bulldogs..The answers to the good ones are in the reports Mr Gnasher spoke of.Those are the real ones 

You ain't a real dogman in this race until you have stepped over the wall with the house mortgage payment on the line and just enough gas to get home.

• Like 6
9 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

A 30 year old pedigree on Feds Online....thats your proof ?

Even if thats a genuine ped which i highly doubt who did it beat....opponents ? times ? weights ? referees ?

The reason matches had to be reported to magazines within the fraternity with details was to stop lads like you being told silly stories years later and believing them ?

If " folks state that they own game dogs of Colby breeding " as you say........and you believe them then no problem :thumbs:

Are you bind or do you selective read on purpose? 

I stated that I don't know about the authenticity of those records, I guess that makes the two of us then. 

And yes I'll take them at face value, unless you know the fellas you don't have a scooby doo either. 

8 hours ago, Rickshaw swami said:

I think your wrong about the last part.The top breeders bred what they were using.

Perhaps you meant top peddlers.

I had sons of Colby's Sam and grandsons.Good hogdogs nothing more.My buddy (atthetime)used them in hogdog catch competition when legal.I never spent a dime with Colby.I had a local friend .He bought them up and later gifted me most of them.Good hogdogs nothing else.You can find adult cold colby dogs for hog hunting usually for free from a greenhorn.I always considered it foolish to purchase a pup on bulldogs..The answers to the good ones are in the reports Mr Gnasher spoke of.Those are the real ones 

You ain't a real dogman in this race until you have stepped over the wall with the house mortgage payment on the line and just enough gas to get home.

No I'm right, only because they have peddled doesn't mean they haven't bred good dogs. 

Now correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Bob Wallace matched any dogs and didn't peddle them either?

Now I might get flack from this but I think you're a stretcher of the truth. 

First of all when I mentioned Scott American Bulldogs then of course you've been out hunting with him and claim his dogs were never any good nor were used for hog hunting. 

Second you claim some of the best dogmen in the States were begging your friend for dogs, the same for Richard Stratton when I mentioned him. 

Thirdly I put a ped up of a colby dog that had supposedly done the business in the last 30 years on Gnasher's request and low and behold you've have sons and grandsons off the dog!! 

Now I know lightning very rarely strikes twice but to do so three times makes me think rubbish!  

I could name more but I will leave it at that. 

You are carrying on like Gnasher, never once have I claimed Colby dogs are out there doing the business in the box.

What I did say is I've spoken to blokes who still claim they are game bred and still make a good outcross. 

Edited by Greb147
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1