Back up at the shoot

Well I’m calling it a night because I’m losing the light and I’ve got an early start in the morning, I’ve seen 2, first one, I had the caller in the silage field and I was stud at the top gate expecting anything to come up the cut grass, so with the caller out I thought I’d give it 20 minutes or so, next thing, there’s a ragged looking fox the other side of the gate and it had walked up the barley instead of the grass, seen me and trotted back into the long grass on the track, I then moved to another spot, put the caller out on chicken distress, within 2 minutes a fox was in the bottom of the field I’d just been at the top of, by the way it was mousing and jumping about I’m sure it was a cub, it showed no interest in the caller and headed along the hedge and up towards the top of the field, in the direction of where I’d just come from ??, at least I know that there’s a couple about and I know where to sit up now, speaking to my mate, he said they will be starting to cut barley by the end of the week, so there will be more to go at ?

EB276AB7-F804-4A7D-BF33-1F7CF5B3162A.jpeg

0CDD9A05-BEB9-4712-8A30-8ECE728A3B0F.jpeg

• Like 5

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Had a look out on some laid barley this afternoon for some woodies. Plenty flying about but they have loads of fields of barley to pick from .

There was only one laid patch I can get set up on which is not ideal until hopefully they are cut this week and I can get on the stubbles. 

The birds that did decoy came in lovely but many more were just flitting about all over with no pattern. 

Managed 54 ?

20220711_180506.jpg

20220711_183841.jpg

• Like 7

One young vixen tonight, but only just. Spotted her sneaking under gateway into field I was in, at 150yds. Let her move down  hedgerow a little but was moving away from me, so next time she stopped i squeezed trigger. Bloody miss to the right/behind her, saw the dust kick up..she took off but only another 25yd & stopped wondering wtf. Lined up crosshairs, gently squeeze, hit........ but then she's back up dragging down field ?. Wait for stop & finally this time it drops her. On inspection, first hit was far back on guts. Dunno what's going on, but I packed in there until I can check zero, not happy wounding like that. 

First time I've used pard 007 on the 204, not exactly filled me with confidence. ?

20220712_232720.jpg

Edited by BenBhoy
  • Sad 2
12 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

One young vixen tonight, but only just. Spotted her sneaking under gateway into field I was in, at 150yds. Let her move down  hedgerow a little but was moving away from me, so next time she stopped i squeezed trigger. Bloody miss to the right/behind her, saw the dust kick up..she took off but only another 25yd & stopped wondering wtf. Lined up crosshairs, gently squeeze, hit........ but then she's back up dragging down field ?. Wait for stop & finally this time it drops her. On inspection, first hit was far back on guts. Dunno what's going on, but I packed in there until I can check zero, not happy wounding like that. 

First time I've used pard 007 on the 204, not exactly filled me with confidence. ?

20220712_232720.jpg

Were you in Australia ?

12 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Well Mr Stavross I had a family day out today down your neck of the woods , the wife and daughter loved it ,very nice place with nice people ?

20220714_145116.jpg

Of coarse it’s full of nice people, they are all like me ?

It’s a nice place Yarm, it’s got some nice little shops and some good places to eat, did you have a look in Lucy Pittaway, her art work is lovely, if I had a spare 6 grand kicking about I’d have one of her paintings 

4 hours ago, Stavross said:

Of coarse it’s full of nice people, they are all like me ?

It’s a nice place Yarm, it’s got some nice little shops and some good places to eat, did you have a look in Lucy Pittaway, her art work is lovely, if I had a spare 6 grand kicking about I’d have one of her paintings 

It was a refreshing change to be somewhere where all the people spoke well and random strangers would speak to you.No sign of council estate chavas ?

The wife wants to move there but we need to win the lottery first ?

When we moved about 5 years ago, we looked at a few houses there but couldn’t justify the price, there’s houses that are basically the same as where I live now and they are 70-80 grand more because of the postcode, ?

I had a call from my mate earlier asking if I’d shoot a few game cover munchers, he then told me that he’d just cut a big field of feed barley so I thought sod it im taking the .243, when I got there he had cut most of the field only not the 30 odd meters down to the stream at the bottom of the field, where I wanted to be for a call, he always does this to me, I did see 2 cubs over the other side of the stream in the long grass, on next doors land but it wasn’t worth risking a shot as I had no way of recovering them. As I checked the other strip of cover towards the wood I seen a deer in the wheat, probably a bit over 200 yards from me, looking at it through the scope I could see it was a very nice buck, probably the nicest looking beast I’ve seen on there, it looked to have a lovely 6 point set, I changed the round from a BT to a 90gr SP as it stood there side on giving me a choice of shots, after thinking a bit longer I decided not to take the shot as I thought with the heat there’s a good chance by the time I got the carcass to longshanx the meat could be knackered, so I’ll definitely be back for him, maybe in a week or so as my mate said the wheat is about to come off ?

B916F1E0-DB43-4657-86CC-02F0D6643BB9.jpeg

008DC1A7-07C0-4837-B345-13C41CB49E61.jpeg

19346ECD-B633-4DD5-9F2D-A42626948F2C.jpeg

• Like 5
14 minutes ago, Stavross said:

after thinking a bit longer I decided not to take the shot as I thought with the heat there’s a good chance by the time I got the carcass to longshanx the meat could be knackered

I like that. I think too many folk are too quick to take shot just because they're there & they can. 

1_HSaNsjneOfrSVwLbTCaEsA.jpeg.jpg

• Like 4

Announcement.....I'm giving up foxing as it's too stressful ???

Received a call from farmer yesterday that a fox is hanging  around the hen hut and stealing sweetcorn put out for the hens.

So rang my mate to come through with  his C50 and see what he could do as I didnt want to shoot after that miss the other night as haven't checked scope. 

Anyway saw 2 foxes but no shot on for either so moved to another field and called one in immediately to 70yds and my mate duly missed it ....I felt like crying ?

This is the same farm where Stav missed one so these foxes are living a charmed life. 

They are taking chickens and I need to get them but they are proving very tricky.

I've never had such tricky foxes to sort out I'm pulling my hair out...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2