Fox travel blog

Very interesting that Ben, I’ve just sent it to my mate because we were talking about something similar a few days ago, he is adamant that foxes don’t tend to stray more that 10 miles from their place of birth, I disagree with this as some seem to be nomadic ( more dogs than vixens although I have no real proof of this) and that sort of proves my point, so here you go Andy ( Hugo’s dad ) this is for you ??

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, Stavross said:

Very interesting that Ben, I’ve just sent it to my mate because we were talking about something similar a few days ago, he is adamant that foxes don’t tend to stray more that 10 miles from their place of birth, I disagree with this as some seem to be nomadic ( more dogs than vixens although I have no real proof of this) and that sort of proves my point, so here you go Andy ( Hugo’s dad ) this is for you ??

Its nice to be right isn't it.....

Or so my wife tells me anyway!!! 

• Haha 2

Another aspect of my life that I don’t share much of on here is my interest in fox hunting . I’ve been following the hunt a long time and either as a follower with my daughters and wife riding or with terrier work . 
              Rifle shooters / lampers are seen as the enemy because we can have and do have a massive impact on fox numbers , something which hunting , in particular mounted packs not foot packs do not. 
             But I have spent a fair bit of time watching foxes that are being hunted and you can tell when a fox knows the ground or if he is a “traveler”, as they are called in hunting parlance. Some foxes stick to certain areas and if you are on the ground regularly you will see them and become familiar with them . Some are dominant dogs which have a territory and some will be younger foxes that travel about a bit . 6644 falls into that category. When foxes are being shot or snared or controlled by whatever means you create a vacuum which nature will fill . So you are always going to have new foxes in an area . But an interesting article.

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 3
17 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Another aspect of my life that I don’t share much of on here is my interest in fox hunting . I’ve been following the hunt a long time and either as a follower with my daughters and wife riding or with terrier work . 
              Rifle shooters / lampers are seen as the enemy because we can have and do have a massive impact on fox numbers , something which hunting , in particular mounted packs not foot packs do . 
             But I have spent a fair bit of time watching foxes that are being hunted and you can tell when a fox knows the ground or if he is a “traveler”, as they are called in hunting parlance. Some foxes stick to certain areas and if you are on the ground regularly you will see them and become familiar with them . Some are dominant dogs which have a territory and some will be younger foxes that travel about a bit . 6644 falls into that category. When foxes are being shot or snared or controlled by whatever means you create a vacuum which nature will fill . So you are always going to have new foxes in an area . But an interesting article.

When I was a young lad I can remember sitting on the moor with me dad and looking down on robin hoods bay and in one of the fields below us watching a fox run round a group of three or four big trees, it went back an fourth and into the open then back to the trees..

it then took off jumped a stone wall then strolled off, two mins behind the hunt piled into the field and the hole job went tits up!

the hounds were all over the place not a clue where to go or what to do :)

there not born smart but they get craftier by the day?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3