• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had an interesting wasp job today. An elderly  farmer l do work for had always been proud of his conservation credentials but over the last couple of years has commendably  embraced an even more fun

Same as you guys - plenty of queens no actual nests although every phone call we get has wasps.... All masonry bees to date  

First one this year for us in a kids playhouse yesterday afternoon. A few weeks away from her first eggs hatching and then them helping her make the nest larger. We said knock it down and stamp o

Posted Images

Had loads of calls for masonry bees and 2 honey bee nests. Had 1 call for a wasp nest but it was described as smaller than a golf ball so I told her to just knock it down with a stick. 

The local councils have all stopped doing pest control so I'm picking up loads of easy rat in garden jobs that they were normally doing. I wonder if they will start doing wasp nests, rat jobs cost them money while wasps make them money. If they hold off I could have a good season but Iv got a feeling they will try to get up and running for the easy jobs

• Like 1

First one this year for us in a kids playhouse yesterday afternoon. A few weeks away from her first eggs hatching and then them helping her make the nest larger.

We said knock it down and stamp on it they wouldn't go anywhere near it.......Money in the bank

PHOTO-2020-04-27-17-23-12.jpg

PHOTO-2020-04-27-17-23-11.jpg

• Like 2
5 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

Had loads of calls for masonry bees and 2 honey bee nests. Had 1 call for a wasp nest but it was described as smaller than a golf ball so I told her to just knock it down with a stick. 

The local councils have all stopped doing pest control so I'm picking up loads of easy rat in garden jobs that they were normally doing. I wonder if they will start doing wasp nests, rat jobs cost them money while wasps make them money. If they hold off I could have a good season but Iv got a feeling they will try to get up and running for the easy jobs

Garden rats are the only rat jobs I consider these days - especially if they can be dealt with by airgun. 

Very hard to make money on adhoc rat jobs, though.

• 2 weeks later...

First wasp nest today.

Just the queen no workers but they were only about a week from emerging.

Wood wasp with nest in a garden shed.

Another queen was chewing timber on another shed in the garden.

High numbers of queens around the area.

Iv not had any tree bees yet. It's definitely silly season though, had two today who phoned me after blocking the entrance to bee nests in walls. I really struggle not to be rude to em.

"yes they are getting angry, you have blocked their nest"

"no I can't do anything because you have already blocked the hole"

"they are totally harmless and should be left in peace, yes they are angry, cos you have blocked their nest, and the ones inside will find their way in to your house cos they can't get out" 

"yes it will be £150 and I can't offer any guarantee" 

"OK then, try rentokil, I think they have an offer on" 

......and repeat. ?