Woodland management

6 hours ago, Greyman said:

Silver birch is a great wood, bark will ignite even in wet conditions and makes a great fire lighter and the water that rises in the spring is full of health property’s, if you have enough it’s worth tapping a few trees as they recon birch water is going to be one of the next big health things, dead easy to do and they can produce an incredible amount in short time ??

I keep meaning to do that!

The birch, not the blonde....... well........ :icon_redface:

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like another storm coming in, hope it doesn't do as much damage as last time, wind's right up, had enough rain to fill a reservoir aswell lol, nice break in the weather this afternoon though fo

Hard days work on the clearing, and good to see the sweet chestnut sapling growing on well

You've got a f***ing panther! 

Posted Images

Just now, Born Hunter said:

I would of done both when I was your age, but now I have daughters of a simular age it’s off limits ?? I have a couple of trees lined up myself for this spring hopefully ?

22 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

She got a wedding ring on. Thou shalt not covet another man's grouse, spouse, buzzard, something like that.

Will be tapping a few birch trees this spring. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
22 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Always meant  to have a go at birch tapping in spring an always forget ?

I'm a bit like that mate, got half a dozen good ideas in my head at any one time. 'Right, I'm doing this today', then I've forgotten about the other ones! Lol

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I'm a bit like that mate, got half a dozen good ideas in my head at any one time. 'Right, I'm doing this today', then I've forgotten about the other ones! Lol

Did you hear the one about the fella that went into the health food shop for Gingko biloba ?

On 16/12/2020 at 18:40, foxdropper said:

If you are to going fell most or some of the pines ,depending on species ,contact a wood merchant first .To make a profit you need to core it out in 3 m STRAIGHT trunk sections and  stack near a access road .Raw wood is worth a good price at moment so don’t miss the opportunity to make money to plough back in .

Planting schemes are long investment .You won’t get much canopy under ten years if it’s broad-leaved saplings .If it’s just roe you won’t have to worry about fencing ,just tree guards .Roe arnt a herd animal and are predominantly grazers rather than browsers .

Letting light in is THE main catalyst for regeneration .Saplings otherwise stunted will bloom and ground cover will appear within 3 years .

There's an option to let a contractor in if I remember rightly, they come in mark whichever trees they want to take, then if you're happy to go ahead they come in with the team and machinery etc

• 7 months later...