Better times ?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So as I’m under house arrest I’ve been flicking through some old and not so old pictures I have saved, trying to remember what normal life is like and I thought I’d start a new topic and put a couple

got to agree with the goose shooting, there either way to high 60yrd to the left or right of you or ten foot above your head while you've got a cup of coffee in your hand? this was my first half

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

All being well there will be a few more days like that this season ?

Me and my mate will be making the decision on what will happen with our shoot over the next couple of days, I’m hoping to at least put a few hundred down, even if we don’t get a full season I’d like to think we could give the members a couple of good days

1 hour ago, Stavross said:

Me and my mate will be making the decision on what will happen with our shoot over the next couple of days, I’m hoping to at least put a few hundred down, even if we don’t get a full season I’d like to think we could give the members a couple of good days

Good for you . I’m sure that by the time October comes things will have sorted themselves out . 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

Good for you . I’m sure that by the time October comes things will have sorted themselves out . 

Well me and my mate had a chat today and we think we will go ahead with the shoot this year, we came to the conclusion that for the shooting we get it’s not a lot of money, even if the guns get half the shooting they normally get it’s still 4 days for the price of 1 on the big estate down the road, something I need to find out is if next door a putting birds down because I don’t want them not to bother and think they can have a couple of ruff days by putting feeders on the boundaries, once we commit I’ll have to get my finger out because I’ve done nothing there for the last couple of months  

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Stavross said:

Well me and my mate had a chat today and we think we will go ahead with the shoot this year, we came to the conclusion that for the shooting we get it’s not a lot of money, even if the guns get half the shooting they normally get it’s still 4 days for the price of 1 on the big estate down the road, something I need to find out is if next door a putting birds down because I don’t want them not to bother and think they can have a couple of ruff days by putting feeders on the boundaries, once we commit I’ll have to get my finger out because I’ve done nothing there for the last couple of months  

Good for you Stavross. Fortune favours the brave. I mentioned in another post about a lot of the big shoots here about and  up and down the country not shooting this season or cutting back days . The reason I supposed is the uncertainty of the current crisis and the lack of money about . A lot of commercial shoots are basically corporate entertainment , and if big business is hit , it has a knock on effect to shooting . 
          But I was thinking that there could be other reasons some shoots have decided to stop shooting. It could be a good time to say goodbye to unpopular shoot staff ? Some head keepers let the job go to their head , and become disliked by land agents , farm managers and even the shoot owners . They become a law unto themselves . I’ve noticed that all the shoots with dickhead keepers are not shooting and the the shoots I know with easygoing nice blokes are carrying on , coincidence ? Or is there more to it ? 

• Like 1

I’ve done the numbers today and our shoot works out at about £7200 for the season, we have 16 members and sell a few days for people to come and have a go, so the members only pay £50 for a days shooting, this is a far cry from the lay out of the commercials so when you look at it that way it’s got to be worth the risk, even if you only get half a season and it costs you £100 a day, at least they know they will still be a member next season

you could be right about unpopular people getting the chop, I don’t think it will just the shoot industry that this happens in, I think a lot of business will use this as an excuse to cut back 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I’ve noticed that all the shoots with dickhead keepers are not shooting and the the shoots I know with easygoing nice blokes are carrying on , coincidence ? Or is there more to it ? 

But your place is carrying on...??!!  ?

• Haha 4

A couple of random pics from the shoot, a deer that came charging through the line of guns and a very strange thing to see up there, I’ve no idea if someone had dumped it up there or if it had wandered a couple of miles for a change of scenery, only seen it the once and I’m sure it met a grizzly end

2A0B6628-C72C-41B6-B898-EBB8195F2CE0.png

B769E78A-CCB6-4BE8-9DF2-A63C4D7DDA87.png

• Like 1
On 09/04/2020 at 11:22, Stavross said:

My best ever day at our shoot, 2018/2019 season,I had a stand on two of the main drives and shot 15, if you ever see me with a shotgun you would wonder how this was possible, I know I did ??

CECC3EB4-5D9D-4A82-8728-9CAC9E52F425.jpeg

That's the time I didn't go as I was working, then you sent this pic to rub it in even more? Evil Mr Stavross 

• Haha 1
On 17/04/2020 at 21:47, Stavross said:

A couple of random pics from the shoot, a deer that came charging through the line of guns and a very strange thing to see up there, I’ve no idea if someone had dumped it up there or if it had wandered a couple of miles for a change of scenery, only seen it the once and I’m sure it met a grizzly end

2A0B6628-C72C-41B6-B898-EBB8195F2CE0.png

B769E78A-CCB6-4BE8-9DF2-A63C4D7DDA87.png

Remember that deer well, I was on the peg near the road and watched it come bolting out the trees down the dip and up the other side, brilliant to see.